IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

3 hours ago, sg17 said:

Can we talk about (not sealed) gcn games for a moment? It seems like prices increased to crazy levels over the last one and half year. But here is one game with ridiculous prices: Mario Party 4.

According to price charting currently it goes for $90-ish cib (and this seems true for me, after browsing ebay). Three months ago it was $65-ish. Before 2020 it was $35-ish. This is the 7th best selling game on the gcn, and pal copies sell for less then half.

Market manipulation anybody?

It’s very hard to manipulate the market for extremely common games. Unless you are willing to buy hundreds or even thousands of them.

one thing I will say about GameCube was that the console was not a big seller, so common means a little less common than say NES or SNES. Still, GameCube collecting has seen a huge increase in demand like anything else and these prices are demand driven. 

4 hours ago, sg17 said:

Can we talk about (not sealed) gcn games for a moment? It seems like prices increased to crazy levels over the last one and half year. But here is one game with ridiculous prices: Mario Party 4.

According to price charting currently it goes for $90-ish cib (and this seems true for me, after browsing ebay). Three months ago it was $65-ish. Before 2020 it was $35-ish. This is the 7th best selling game on the gcn, and pal copies sell for less then half.

Market manipulation anybody?

Yeah, all the Mario Parties on that system have blown up, but market manipulation would be tough...I think it is just your classic case of intense demand outstripping a (relatively) high supply (You know, like every Pokemon game right now).  TBH, I still think Gamecube has a lot of room to run...Wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Parties/Super Strikers/Billy Hatcher/Pikmin 2/F-Zero X hit the $100+ mark in the next year.

1 hour ago, Naked Warrior said:

Yeah, all the Mario Parties on that system have blown up, but market manipulation would be tough...I think it is just your classic case of intense demand outstripping a (relatively) high supply (You know, like every Pokemon game right now).  TBH, I still think Gamecube has a lot of room to run...Wouldn't be surprised to see Mario Parties/Super Strikers/Billy Hatcher/Pikmin 2/F-Zero X hit the $100+ mark in the next year.

here's the crazy thing though... people are buying these games to play them! I know because I've been the seller in these cases multiple times now! remember: Mario Sunshine was pushing $90 before the port was announced for Switch. And if Mario Party 4 ever gets ported it will have a demand drop too. But yeah I agree, some of these games are totally due to be hitting that $100+ mark. 

5 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Ah! I see now! Thanks for finding out the actual price, but isn't that still $4,600 more than it should be?! But then again, we live in different times now and it is worth what it sold for!!

items are worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. period. 

6 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

Ah! I see now! Thanks for finding out the actual price, but isn't that still $4,600 more than it should be?! But then again, we live in different times now and it is worth what it sold for!!

Not these days 😉 , non rev a games in great condition will get a premium in this new market trend, get used to it lol

I still can't believe the prices that games/systems (raw, graded, sealed, CIB, just the box, just the cartridge from every system across the board) are selling for and worth these days!  It is just mind boggling, every time I check sold prices on Ebay, hear of a big private sale or see Heritage Auction prices for video games.

Just like with sports cards, it seems like prices for just about everything in any type of condition is going up (with an obvious premium on graded, rare, mint condition, Mario games, Pokemon games, Superhero games, Retro Movie Games, etc) in value with each passing day.

I started collecting before the hobby even had a grading company and now we are about to get our 4th grading company in the hobby!

Netflix released a documentary on gaming a few months ago.

There is a wikipedia page called 'Game Collecting' now.

There are main stream media outlets and publications talking about game collecting  and the record prices games are selling for.

The hobby has the backing of the biggest auction house in America (WATA or raw) , Heritage Auctions selling games.

I even have friends/family asking me about collecting/investing in video games now!

(The hobby will reach another level (if possible), when we get our first famous person in the hobby, like a Logan Paul or Gary Vee, etc in sports cards)

For the the old time collectors (NIntendoage), can you imagine if DOV had found that stash of sealed games in today's market? I wonder how much more money he would have made grading and selling in today's BULL market?!

If, I started collecting at today's prices, I wouldn't even be able to buy 5% of my collection at the current prices things are selling for, so I do feel really bad for the people that 'missed the boat' and are just starting to get into the hobby right now.

Now, can it all come crashing down, of course it can! Absolutely! Do I personally think it will? No! The video game industry is just too big these days and the hobby is getting more and more mainstream with each passing day, hence the enormous prices games are selling for these days. Way more demand, than supply now! 

In summary, it is a very exciting time to be a collector and I actually think we are just in the beginning and the hobby will continue to really grow, so much so, that we may look back at these prices today (a few years from now) and think they were actually a 'good deal'!!

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

I still can't believe the prices that games/systems (raw, graded, sealed, CIB, just the box, just the cartridge from every system across the board) are selling for and worth these days!  It is just mind boggling, every time I check sold prices on Ebay, hear of a big private sale or see Heritage Auction prices for video games.

Just like with sports cards, it seems like prices for just about everything in any type of condition is going up (with an obvious premium on graded, rare, mint condition, Mario games, Pokemon games, Superhero games, Retro Movie Games, etc) in value with each passing day.

I started collecting before the hobby even had a grading company and now we are about to get our 4th grading company in the hobby!

Netflix released a documentary on gaming a few months ago.

There is a wikipedia page called 'Game Collecting' now.

There are main stream media outlets and publications talking about game collecting  and the record prices games are selling for.

The hobby has the backing of the biggest auction house in America (WATA or raw) , Heritage Auctions selling games.

I even have friends/family asking me about collecting/investing in video games now!

(The hobby will reach another level (if possible), when we get our first famous person in the hobby, like a Logan Paul or Gary Vee, etc in sports cards)

For the the old time collectors (NIntendoage), can you imagine if DOV had found that stash of sealed games in today's market? I wonder how much more money he would have made grading and selling in today's BULL market?!

If, I started collecting at today's prices, I wouldn't even be able to buy 5% of my collection at the current prices things are selling for, so I do feel really bad for the people that 'missed the boat' and are just starting to get into the hobby right now.

Now, can it all come crashing down, of course it can! Absolutely! Do I personally think it will? No! The video game industry is just too big these days and the hobby is getting more and more mainstream with each passing day, hence the enormous prices games are selling for these days. Way more demand, than supply now! 

In summary, it is a very exciting time to be a collector and I actually think we are just in the beginning and the hobby will continue to really grow, so much so, that we may look back at these prices today (a few years from now) and think they were actually a 'good deal'!!

exciting is right!  all bets are off and it’s only going to get better!

5 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

I do feel really bad for the people that 'missed the boat' and are just starting to get into the hobby right now.

I actually experienced this first-hand recently.  My teenaged nephew has really gotten into retro gaming and collecting, and he loves the NES the most by far, having about 20 CIB games and counting.  Recently he showed me his list of Wanted CIB's and I had to basically kill his dreams and explain that like 75% of them were unobtainium for him.  One does not simply just go out and throw down a few bucks and get a CIB Gun*Nac or Metal Storm anymore... 😞

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually experienced this first-hand recently.  My teenaged nephew has really gotten into retro gaming and collecting, and he loves the NES the most by far, having about 20 CIB games and counting.  Recently he showed me his list of Wanted CIB's and I had to basically kill his dreams and explain that like 75% of them were unobtainium for him.  One does not simply just go out and throw down a few bucks and get a CIB Gun*Nac or Metal Storm anymore... 😞

That is awesome that your nephew collects for the NES, but sad, that he is priced out of the games that he is after.

3 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

1 hour ago, Dumars2001 said:

That is awesome that your nephew collects for the NES, but sad, that he is priced out of the games that he is after.

So, I'm one of these people new to this, and I have to say there is no need to feel sorry for us. After all, people adjust their expectations according to what's relevant for them. Do you feel sorry for people that they can't buy an NWC cart? If right from the beginning you could realistically only get a small portion of your collection, you would have felt happy with this small portion. Maybe you'd be happy to own other stuff as well, but it would have been more of a "I want to win the lottery" kind of desire, as opposed to a realistic desire. Those who are new to this should simply be happy with what's available for them. I'll try to illustrate with my experience:

For almost everything I buy, I pay full market price (I don't live in the US and the collecting community over here is extremely small especially for what I'm interested in, so ebay is my only option). You can browse my posts in "what's new in your collection" and see that unfortunately the stuff I'm interested in are the popular Nintendo first party stuff (which are hyped and overpriced). For gb/c/a and n64 I try to get them cart + manual and for ngc I try to get them complete with all the inserts. Sounds pricey? Well, there are only a handful of games for which I paid more then 50% original msrp, the most I paid was for Majora's Mask (original msrp for cart + manual).

I guess that many of you probably think this is expansive (for items in question), but taking inflation into account, paying full msrp today is equivalent to 50%-70% msrp from the early 90s to the early 00s (exact % depends on what specific year we are talking about). And again, for most of the stuff I still don't pay over half the msrp (so adjusted for inflation - no more then 1/4-1/3 the msrp).

Is this a good deal? Obviously no. But I still think it's a reasonable price to pay for a game you want to play and/or own. One effect is that it makes me value what I do purchase more.

Can the prices be lower? Probably. My only rule is that when I buy something I should beok with the market value going down to 0 (which I believe will eventually happen, or more realistically, very close to 0). I think that if everyone had this rule then prices would have been much lower. But people probably justify their purchases by saying that they'll be able to sell it for as high as they bought. What you should really feel sorry for is these people. Not because they might loose money - but because even if their items keep value, I still don't envy them. It seems much more stressful and less fun when everything becomes a financial calculation. So I think instead of asking "is it worth buying this for $x today when 10 years ago it was fourth the price?", people should ask "do I want this enough to pay $x for this?". This will make them realize that most of the time, $x is still lower then what they would have payed (even for a used copy) when it came out. This is something they should be happy about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sg17 said:

So, I'm one of these people new to this, and I have to say there is no need to feel sorry for us. After all, people adjust their expectations according to what's relevant for them. Do you feel sorry for people that they can't buy an NWC cart? If right from the beginning you could realistically only get a small portion of your collection, you would have felt happy with this small portion. Maybe you'd be happy to own other stuff as well, but it would have been more of a "I want to win the lottery" kind of desire, as opposed to a realistic desire. Those who are new to this should simply be happy with what's available for them. I'll try to illustrate with my experience:

For almost everything I buy, I pay full market price (I don't live in the US and the collecting community over here is extremely small especially for what I'm interested in, so ebay is my only option). You can browse my posts in "what's new in your collection" and see that unfortunately the stuff I'm interested in are the popular Nintendo first party stuff (which are hyped and overpriced). For gb/c/a and n64 I try to get them cart + manual and for ngc I try to get them complete with all the inserts. Sounds pricey? Well, there are only a handful of games for which I paid more then 50% original msrp, the most I paid was for Majora's Mask (original msrp for cart + manual).

I guess that many of you probably think this is expansive (for items in question), but taking inflation into account, paying full msrp today is equivalent to 50%-70% msrp from the early 90s to the early 00s (exact % depends on what specific year we are talking about). And again, for most of the stuff I still don't pay over half the msrp (so adjusted for inflation - no more then 1/4-1/3 the msrp).

Is this a good deal? Obviously no. But I still think it's a reasonable price to pay for a game you want to play and/or own. One effect is that it makes me value what I do purchase more.

Can the prices be lower? Probably. My only rule is that when I buy something I should beok with the market value going down to 0 (which I believe will eventually happen, or more realistically, very close to 0). I think that if everyone had this rule then prices would have been much lower. But people probably justify their purchases by saying that they'll be able to sell it for as high as they bought. What you should really feel sorry for is these people. Not because they might loose money - but because even if their items keep value, I still don't envy them. It seems much more stressful and less fun when everything becomes a financial calculation. So I think instead of asking "is it worth buying this for $x today when 10 years ago it was fourth the price?", people should ask "do I want this enough to pay $x for this?". This will make them realize that most of the time, $x is still lower then what they would have payed (even for a used copy) when it came out. This is something they should be happy about.

Very well spoken! I really enjoyed reading about your story and perspective of the hobby.

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, sg17 said:

I see your point, but remember, original msrp was for new sealed games, so you're kinda comparing apples to oranges with your pricing examples.  Even if you were to just compare msrp of new sealed games in the 90's to CIB games in mint condition bought today, the percentage of any given Nintendo library that can be bought for original msrp or below is shrinking by the hour...

9 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

I see your point, but remember, original msrp was for new sealed games, so you're kinda comparing apples to oranges with your pricing examples.  Even if you were to just compare msrp of new sealed games in the 90's to CIB games in mint condition bought today, the percentage of any given Nintendo library that can be bought for original msrp or below is shrinking by the hour...

Of course. All I'm saying is that even back then if you woud have bought a used copy at a store (which would have been cart only), youl'd pay around the same price. I'm not using this to say this is a bargin, but to say that this is reasonable. Well, reasonable in the sense that most people see the inherent value of the item as lying roughly in that ballpark. Many of you guys are used to being able to get these for dirt cheap, but people starting today simply shouldn't have this expectation to begin with.

Now, you are right that cibs can easily go out of someones price range. Personally, I could have afforded to buy cibs but I didn't want to because the price is totally not worth it for me. But again, this makes sense because most people didn't keep them that way. People who collect cib should be grateful they can find good condition copies given the shitty cardboard. If they want it bad enough, then they can pay. And yeah, even buying 20 nes cib games (expansive ones, but not super expansive) is something most people can afford over a couple of years. You can look at it and say it's said they can only choose 20 to own, and not hundreds, or alternatively you can say it's nice they can still find well preserved copies in the box of something manufactured more then 30 years ago as a toy.

On 3/1/2021 at 5:06 AM, Dumars2001 said:

If you're using the term "slightly" to describe the rarity of this variant, then we've discovered the root of your confusion. You will likely never see another one in your lifetime.

17 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

If you're using the term "slightly" to describe the rarity of this variant, then we've discovered the root of your confusion. You will likely never see another one in your lifetime.

well, I don't know about that. it might be rare, but obviously not once in a lifetime rare, so I guess, I am not too confused.

here is non rev A sealed that sold on January 30th for $2380

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-Nintendo-Factory-Sealed-NES-No-Rev-A-First-Print-NES-1987-Nintendo-/274657401047?epid=56232262&hash=item3ff2db58d7%3Ag%3ANUcAAOSwLitgDGEv&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here is a non rev A box that sold January 26th for $61

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-NES-Gotcha-The-Sport-Game-BOX-ONLY-Mint-Vintage-Rare-/224324224174?hash=item343ac404ae%3Ag%3ADOoAAOSwK7FgChLX&nma=true&si=AFE28odtOjHeYSejMOkVwsZpUsA%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here is a very nice non rev A CIB that sold on February 9th for $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-The-Sport-Nintendo-NES-No-Rev-A-First-Print-Complete-In-Box-/154218020763?epid=56232262&hash=item23e81c3f9b%3Ag%3AbJAAAOSwRHhfUXrw&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here is yet another non rev A CIB that sold December 15th also for $50

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTCHA-THE-SPORT-Nintendo-NES-1985-CIB-Vintage-Video-Game-/114553223417?epid=1100432479&hash=item1aabe778f9%3Ag%3AsP0AAOSwT3hfxz2g&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

here is one currently for sale.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-Nintendo-NES-1987-Rare-Sealed-Non-Rev-A-5-Screw-Version/203297668786?epid=56232262&hash=item2f557c3eb2:g:kVQAAOSwfmBgQ4zr

Edited by Dumars2001
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

4 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

well, I don't know about that. it might be rare, but obviously not once in a lifetime rare, so I guess, I am not too confused.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-Nintendo-Factory-Sealed-NES-No-Rev-A-First-Print-NES-1987-Nintendo-/274657401047?epid=56232262&hash=item3ff2db58d7%3Ag%3ANUcAAOSwLitgDGEv&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-The-Sport-Nintendo-NES-No-Rev-A-First-Print-Complete-In-Box-/154218020763?epid=56232262&hash=item23e81c3f9b%3Ag%3AbJAAAOSwRHhfUXrw&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GOTCHA-THE-SPORT-Nintendo-NES-1985-CIB-Vintage-Video-Game-/114553223417?epid=1100432479&hash=item1aabe778f9%3Ag%3AsP0AAOSwT3hfxz2g&nma=true&si=mdOX%2BnMVPOWLIXF1d8vkNA2fV34%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gotcha-Nintendo-NES-1987-Rare-Sealed-Non-Rev-A-5-Screw-Version/203297668786?epid=56232262&hash=item2f557c3eb2:g:kVQAAOSwfmBgQ4zr

Some of your links are duplicates but you're right, I haven't seen that many of them previously.

4 hours ago, Dumars2001 said:

on major difference though -  none of these were sealed and slabbed with a vga 85 rating. 

On 3/7/2021 at 12:55 AM, Dumars2001 said:

I think of that one seller who posted a ton of high-end, sealed games on ebay around 2014-2015 and how I was envious of his collection he had amassed over the years to resell (He eventually signed up on NA). He posted that he deliberately collected games with his dad to resell. Not that I feel sorry for him now (honestly have no idea if they're still selling etc.), but damn I think of the money that guy left on the table by selling just a few years too early with this massive jump we're seeing in sealed/graded games. Before 2015 I feel like you could buy almost any graded game within reason for less than $1K.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I think of that one seller who posted a ton of high-end, sealed games on ebay around 2014-2015 and how I was envious of his collection he had amassed over the years to resell (He eventually signed up on NA). He posted that he deliberately collected games with his dad to resell. Not that I feel sorry for him now (honestly have no idea if they're still selling etc.), but damn I think of the money that guy left on the table by selling just a few years too early with this massive jump we're seeing in sealed/graded games. Before 2015 I feel like you could buy almost any graded game within reason for less than $1K.

that’s part of the fun/thrill for some of us - the gamble. 

ps - wanna buy some mark mcgwire baseball cards?  i have a ton!

• Haha 1