IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Even tangential Pokemon spin-offs are expensive now. Pokemon Art Academy is pushing $100.

And collectors are starting to drive up the price of Japanese DS Pokemon games now too. 

Cor blimey... I have sealed copies of both Black and White, with Black being in top condition. After getting White, the store they shipped it made me feel like I should have spent more on eBay. And hearing this has me debating if I should try to sell them here, or hold off until I can sell them in Japan. Either way, I will not sell them at eBay prices. 😩

I think with people not traveling, eating out as much, going to social events coupled with stimulus checks has given a lot of people some extra spending money. Obviously some have been hit hard economically by all this but I know a lot of people who kept their regular pay/job and have saved just by default. That and just generally being home/online more are likely a factor too. These trends are reminiscent of 2012 to 2014 in some regards - significant price jumps overnight with single sales. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:26 AM, sg17 said:

I was planning on playing Leafgreen this summer and now it's like $100+ 😞

Guess I'll wait for next summer lol

It might take some time for prices to drop but I really can't imagine it being sustainable at these prices

Ouch damn that went up too eh?  I kind of was looking, I've got a spare FireRed I was going to stuff up there sooner or later, but I kept seeing it creep and had other more priority things to try and move (boxes) eating up space in my closet.  Might be time to re-evaluate sitting on that.

and I agree...don't see these being sustainable, none of it from the last year.  There's inflation, then there's manipulation and abuse and we're in that realm.

OK my head was spinning when I watched Best of PlayStation Network Vol 1 go from $25 to $250 but this has me totally floored. 

pokemon_channel.png.92df4f7222308c0fca08c96db6ed12a8.png

This is a game I used to buy whenever I would see a copy with the eReader cards intact for less than $25 and then sell for $40. Literally just pocketing $10 at a time on the difference. Now it looks like there are very few copies available with the cards and a copy without the cards goes for $60 while a copy with the cards could maybe sell for $200 or more? Absolutely wild. 

Coincidentally, while I was flipping copies of this (I think it was 2 years ago, maybe more), I got it in my head that I wanted to have a CIB copy in untouched condition (with the cards unpunched) and another one with the cards punched so I could actually use them. So... I have two. And I still haven't played this game to this day. 

If you want a giggle just search sold listings for "pokemon white sealed" and order by "recently ended". Some dude is selling them off by the four-pack (straight from the case!) and getting $2k every time. Dozens of other copies have sold just this month. Yet people are still paying $400 a copy? I mean...yikes.

• Like 1

I bid on a Hey You Pikachu figuring it was a Pokemon game that wasn’t going crazy, maybe under $100 on a average and I bid $133. It ended up going for $369, lol. The closest 5 comparable sales are all sealed ones that went for $200-300 in the past few weeks.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
39 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I bid on a Hey You Pikachu figuring it was a Pokemon game that wasn’t going crazy, maybe under $100 on a average and I bid $133. It ended up going for $369, lol. The closest 5 comparable sales are all sealed ones that went for $200-300 in the past few weeks.

People buying these legit don't give a shit how bad a game is, clearly.

Administrator · Posted
45 minutes ago, Gloves said:

People buying these legit don't give a shit how bad a game is, clearly.

Speculators / Investors probably don't care if the game is any good.  That or it is lack of information and just "Mario! Pokemon! BUY BUY!" as someone suggested above ha.

1 hour ago, Trifecta said:

I was doing some research and found this old thread from 2003 on DigitalPress: https://forum.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?13991-I-ll-sell-my-whole-collection-for-the-right-price

Someone on there said he paid $25.50 for a mint CIB Panic Restaurant. I wish I was collecting NES back in 2003!

A buddy and I (the_wizard_666) went to the Classic Gaming Expo in 2007 in Las Vegas, and while we were there he bought a sealed Panic Restaurant for $150, which he then opened for the sealed contents list.  At the time, people didn't mock him for opening a sealed game,  but they did mock him relentlessy for paying such a ridiculous amount for a sealed Panic Restaurant.  My how the times have changed!  At least I got the mint box and manual when he decided to abandon his CIB dreams and go loose... 😉

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 3
  • Wow! 1

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

A buddy and I (the_wizard_666) went to the Classic Gaming Expo in 2007 in Las Vegas, and while we were there he bought a sealed Panic Restaurant for $150, which he then opened for the sealed contents list.  At the time, people didn't mock him for opening a sealed game,  but they did mock him relentlessy for paying such a ridiculous amount for a sealed Panic Restaurant.  My how the times have changed!  At least I got the mint box and manual when he decided to abandon his CIB dreams and go loose... 😉

He (the_wizard) is the reason I popped so many sealed games right around 2010ish.  I don't regret it at all, and honestly the butt hurt reactions from people far exceeds any monetary losses from opening games like Kid Clown, LoZ, Gun+Nac, and dozens of others.  I just wish I had traded some of those boxes and manuals for a Dino Peak box back then.

Edited by Doctornick

Welp, someone just paid $1225 for a WATA-graded 7.5 CIB (not sealed!) Pokemon Blue:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224422345939?nordt=true&rt=nc

That's what I call the "#1b" print, i.e. not the less common "Red text" error variant (#1a). The buyer probably didn't know about that, I'm guessing.

The highest price anyone had previously paid for a non-sealed Blue #1b was $510 (which has been reached three times, for copies in better condition).

So, apparently people will pay a >100% premium for WATA to put it in a box where they can't do anything with it any more? Welp then.

Edited by AdamW

24 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Welp, someone just paid $1225 for a WATA-graded 7.5 CIB (not sealed!) Pokemon Blue:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224422345939?nordt=true&rt=nc

That's what I call the "#1b" print, i.e. not the less common "Red text" error variant (#1a). The buyer probably didn't know about that, I'm guessing.

The highest price anyone had previously paid for a non-sealed Blue #1b was $510 (which has been reached three times, for copies in better condition).

So, apparently people will pay a >100% premium for WATA to put it in a box where they can't do anything with it any more? Welp then.

I'm no Pokeman expert, but it should have a Player's Guide offer right? Which goes for about $50 alone? People put a bigger premium on Wata grading than they do on 100% CIB games. Same thing happened with Tyson, people were paying huge premiums for Wata copies compared to copies on Ebay that actually included the letter.

Grading the minimum possible thing Wata will grade as CIB rather than 100% CIB games, especially when grading is so god damn expensive is just b-a-n-a-n-a-s to me. But if you're just chasing that flip it somehow works.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I'm no Pokeman expert, but it should have a Player's Guide offer right? Which goes for about $50 alone? People put a bigger premium on Wata grading than they do on 100% CIB games. Same thing happened with Tyson, people were paying huge premiums for Wata copies compared to copies on Ebay that actually included the letter.

Grading the minimum possible thing Wata will grade as CIB rather than 100% CIB games, especially when grading is so god damn expensive is just b-a-n-a-n-a-s to me. But if you're just chasing that flip it somehow works.

Yup, it should. Note, this was graded in December 2019, and WATA have definitely got better about properly cataloguing and identifying packins since then. Recently-graded CIBs have detailed info on the packins, with print codes, but ones graded earlier seem to be more slapdash about it. It's possible it actually does have the player's guide offer (and consumer safety info sheet) but WATA just didn't write it on the tab. Of course, now it's in a plastic tomb, unless WATA's matrix app thing ever actually shows up, we can't tell!

5 hours ago, AdamW said:

Yup, it should. Note, this was graded in December 2019, and WATA have definitely got better about properly cataloguing and identifying packins since then. Recently-graded CIBs have detailed info on the packins, with print codes, but ones graded earlier seem to be more slapdash about it. It's possible it actually does have the player's guide offer (and consumer safety info sheet) but WATA just didn't write it on the tab. Of course, now it's in a plastic tomb, unless WATA's matrix app thing ever actually shows up, we can't tell!

Also, doesn’t Wata only require box, cart and manual to consider something CIB? It’s not like they will reject something if it’s missing an insert it was supposed to have... right?

2 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Also, doesn’t Wata only require box, cart and manual to consider something CIB? It’s not like they will reject something if it’s missing an insert it was supposed to have... right?

Yeah, they say that somewhere. IIRC they'll grade it CIB with cart+box+manual, they note and grade all other packins but don't really make any statement whether it's fully "complete", and they'll note (using acronym "IMP" I think) if they know something doesn't "match" but they don't guarantee they'll always spot it.

Edited by AdamW

7 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Damn, do you really have full sets for all those consoles? And are they all CIB? That's really impressive. All I have is a whole lotta pokemon games.