IGNORED

Look at these prices...unreal right ?

LifeGame

20 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The thing is, those "normie" items aren't rare, so as soon as the demand is sated and covid goes away, those people will be off to greener pastures and the real collectors who aren't going anywhere will still need SE to complete their set.  Yeah a mint first print SMB will always command high value from now on, but the rest of this nonsense bull run on dirt common stuff will be a funny joke to reference back to a few years from now...

Oh I think you might be right. My point was the midwit collector that hoarded “mass-produced rare” and sells it now is winning.

2 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

The thing is, those "normie" items aren't rare, so as soon as the demand is sated and covid goes away, those people will be off to greener pastures and the real collectors who aren't going anywhere will still need SE to complete their set.  Yeah a mint first print SMB will always command high value from now on, but the rest of this nonsense bull run on dirt common stuff will be a funny joke to reference back to a few years from now...

I am not so sure things will shift back, because this trend/prices rising in prices (mario, sonic, popular games), etc) in collecting started before covid when the comic book collectors and 'investors' started to  enter the hobby, but we will see. i certainly respect your opinion and thoughts though.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Here is something interesting. Someone sold their PS5 in order to buy an N64 and games. Im pretty sure you can't classic gaming anymore penetrated into the general masses than that

Gamer Sells PlayStation 5 To Buy N64 And Childhood Game Collection https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/games-nintendo-playstation-playstation-5-owner-sells-console-for-nintendo-64-collection-20210317?source=facebook

5 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Here is something interesting. Someone sold their PS5 in order to buy an N64 and games. Im pretty sure you can't classic gaming anymore penetrated into the general masses than that

Gamer Sells PlayStation 5 To Buy N64 And Childhood Game Collection https://www.gamingbible.co.uk/news/games-nintendo-playstation-playstation-5-owner-sells-console-for-nintendo-64-collection-20210317?source=facebook

A news article about a forum post on ResetEra, brilliant. Also "ResetEra"?? Excuse me, I only recognize a certain handful of forums that ripped off AtariAge's naming scheme and ResetEra will not be one of them.

7 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

A news article about a forum post on ResetEra, brilliant. Also "ResetEra"?? Excuse me, I only recognize a certain handful of forums that ripped off AtariAge's naming scheme and ResetEra will not be one of them.

Terribly lazy. 

The forum sucks too, but tons of posts. Good for them!

Seems actually like a pretty smart choice on the former PS5 owners behalf.  People are all worked up and stupid over that thing right now paying up large, and for a limited library and a good wait on the horizon potentially on the buyer for the next great game...the typical console post launch drought.  Why not get a nice big N64 collection?  The PS5 will be in full supply not before too long, and he got his physical fill, and the digital isn't erased, it's in the account, just temporarily unusable.

• Like 2

There's been multiple instances of people trading a PS5 for a haul of retro games that are worth a lot more than $1k or whatever the PS5 goes for now. People were doing the same thing with the limited edition Switch consoles. I've seen these talked about in Facebook Groups and on YouTube. It's just interesting that this is the one that was enticing enough to be regurgitated as a "news article." 

2 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Don't want to be the nerd here, but ResetEra spawned from gaming-age.com/neogaf forums over a schism with the admin. Gaming-age.com was first registered in 1997. AtariAge.com was registered in 2000.

• Wow! 1

On 3/19/2021 at 8:04 PM, Tanooki said:

Seems actually like a pretty smart choice on the former PS5 owners behalf.  People are all worked up and stupid over that thing right now paying up large, and for a limited library and a good wait on the horizon potentially on the buyer for the next great game...the typical console post launch drought.  Why not get a nice big N64 collection?  The PS5 will be in full supply not before too long, and he got his physical fill, and the digital isn't erased, it's in the account, just temporarily unusable.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:08 PM, MiamiSlice said:

There's been multiple instances of people trading a PS5 for a haul of retro games that are worth a lot more than $1k or whatever the PS5 goes for now. People were doing the same thing with the limited edition Switch consoles. I've seen these talked about in Facebook Groups and on YouTube. It's just interesting that this is the one that was enticing enough to be regurgitated as a "news article." 

I just realized I forgot to explain why I posted tgat article. I was showing how/why prices have been going insane. If people are willing to give up their brand new next gen console for a bunch of 20yr old stuff its no wonder the prices have spiked. I don't think this would have been something anyone would have done in say the 360/Ps3 era. It seems crazy to me

On 3/19/2021 at 12:54 PM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Wow, who would trade all of those CIB vintage games for a PS5? And it seems like the author thinks the PS5 owner got the short end of the stick, lol. Those aren't even hard to find anymore.

• Like 1

On 3/21/2021 at 7:28 AM, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I just realized I forgot to explain why I posted tgat article. I was showing how/why prices have been going insane. If people are willing to give up their brand new next gen console for a bunch of 20yr old stuff its no wonder the prices have spiked. I don't think this would have been something anyone would have done in say the 360/Ps3 era. It seems crazy to me

You don't?  I do, except for one exception to the rule.  RIght now, last year and into this so far people are taking deep pocketed dumbassery to new heights.  I mean seriously, if someone saw the writing on the wall both as a seller AND buyer back in 2006, 2007 with the Wii given they were going for like 2-5x the retail price because of scalpers, you would have seen people shoveling out their old Gamecubes with 20-30 games easy to get a Wii.  Switch as much as people talked up the scare, Nintendo seeded them pretty well so true desparation hadn't quite set in then a couple years ago so it probably didn't occur then either.  PS3/360 I don't recall ever being in a huge supply black hole like the PS5 is for some mystery.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

You don't?  I do, except for one exception to the rule.  RIght now, last year and into this so far people are taking deep pocketed dumbassery to new heights.  I mean seriously, if someone saw the writing on the wall both as a seller AND buyer back in 2006, 2007 with the Wii given they were going for like 2-5x the retail price because of scalpers, you would have seen people shoveling out their old Gamecubes with 20-30 games easy to get a Wii.  Switch as much as people talked up the scare, Nintendo seeded them pretty well so true desparation hadn't quite set in then a couple years ago so it probably didn't occur then either.  PS3/360 I don't recall ever being in a huge supply black hole like the PS5 is for some mystery.

Your saying people were shoveling out their Gamecubes for a Wii. That's an upgrade, the article was about someone essentially downgrading. Yes people always scalp new consoles, but to scalp a brand new gen console in order to buy some 20yr old games is different. Yea was there a person here or there on the forums that funded their hobby that way, sure. But the point was how much the average person has is now valuing the old stuff compared to the new stuff. 

No I'm theorizing the potential was there before for people to toss gamecubes and games at people who got a Wii to not pay some scalper like $600 for the console.  It's just that the stupidity wasn't a frenzy we have now but the potential was there for it.  People were getting PISSED they couldn't get the Wii for Christmas for them or their kids because scalpers.  I remember seeing them often go for what I said, the most desperate cases on ebay topped around $1000 for a $250 system.  IF someone was done with their past system, it would be a way to get the new one, but the flipper market wasn't hardcore into GC by any level in 2006/07.

8 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

I am forever grateful that sealed and graded games never appealed to me. That market is insanity right now. Congrats to the people who got into it long ago and and are making bank right now. Don't forget to claim it as income and pay uncle Sam lol 

Edited by a3quit4s

13 hours ago, a3quit4s said:

I am forever grateful that sealed and graded games never appealed to me. That market is insanity right now. Congrats to the people who got into it long ago and and are making bank right now. Don't forget to claim it as income and pay uncle Sam lol 

Same here problem is it makes a lot of average dumb people think the unsealed stuff has high value too and more and more keep attempting it.  It'll cause someone to break, then another...fear of it going up, will cause it to go up.

Annoyingly I do have one sealed game, and it shot up so bad(good) in the last 18mo in value I'm kind of fearing if I even entertained selling it, what I'd do to even try and safely move it.  The USPS is a clusterf**k of morons who break and lose shit, UPS on the break side is even worse.  None of them would insure it for what it's worth and even if they did, they'd see like hell to make sure not to pay out.  I'd hate to even have that much cash on hand, wouldn't know what to do, and if I tried to save it and someone found out in this house I had it, they'd get mad and probably want it wasted on loans(car, house), or more home repair so I keep quiet about it leaving it in plain sight of all things.

• Like 1