IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Goal! Two

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

Negative. The weekly contest always ends at 11pm Eastern time! You're safe 🙂 

Ah I kept thinking 11 CST where I live. I actually popped it back in to see if I could get an insurance goal on you.. Switching to DK now, but post your score on the final run! If you got multiple red cards, you got enough miles to score

2 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Ah I kept thinking 11 CST where I live. I actually popped it back in to see if I could get an insurance goal on you.. Switching to DK now, but post your score on the final run! If you got multiple red cards, you got enough miles to score

My game did not go well. 😄 I lost 4 - 2. D'oh. Time for DK

• Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Congratulations to @Kid Dracula for winning his third straight win at the NES Weekly Contest, which account for a Turkey win if I may express myself in Bowling Gangsta Slang here! The Drac Kid is showing himself to be a very tough competitor this year and we all appreciate having Big Guns playing regularly in the contest, so thanks for that pal!

While the game picked for sports this week have brought its share of controversy, many players still found their way around the fact the game plays hardly like any conventional 'sports video game' and were able to produce Blow Out victory! Notorious human cyborg @bertsampson earned second place with a differential of +17, followed closely by VGS Game Boy Contest Champion @0xDEAFC0DE with +14, @Gaia Gensouki +10 score, @NESfiend with +9, and since we're talking about soccer, we can also mention @ninjistar Argentina 5-0 wins over the US team!

Thanks for everyone that were brave enough to play this game during the week!

• Like 1

Last couple thoughts before never thinking of this game ever again. This is long and most likely will be useful to no one. 😆

I recommend choosing Argentina and keeping their lineup unmodified at the 4-3-3 formation. Choose a team with a weaker goalie for the computer. 

The coin toss can be won every single time. You have to hit A twice like a slow double tap. If you hit it too fast you will lose. Time it correctly to start with the ball every game. The computer then chooses the direction they want to go in the first half which is always downfield. This is perfect as we’ll be starting the game with the ball going upfield. 

You can score at the 4:54/4:53 mark every time. Dribble it past the two defenders and shoot slightly above the semi circle where the field is changing colour from dark green to light green. If you shoot it in this sweet spot the goalie will miss every time. As I mentioned before, finding this sweet spot is the key to getting high scores. 

After your 1st goal the computer will pass it in at half. Argentina’s midfield 2 has near perfect stats for speed, kicking power and tackling power. This player is key for tackling the ball off the original pass and scoring a goal in 10-11 seconds. If timed correctly you can greatly increase your chances of making this steal. Don’t control the player at all; your midfield 2 will automatically go for the ball so all you have to do is press and hold A at the right time (no d pad direction just A). This is the fastest way to score so go for this strategy every time. If executed well you’ll come up with this steal (and goal) every 2nd or 3rd time. 

Missing the slide tackle causes the computer to kick the ball in a variety of ways. Best case scenario is when the computer player does an ‘A kick’ directly to your defender 1 or midfield 1. You can dribble it right to the goal avoiding the defenders and score in 12-13 seconds. Second best scenario is when the computer player does a ‘B kick’ which pops the ball into the air. It often goes to defender 4 in the corner. Time it to kick the ball when it’s in the air (press and hold A) along the sidelines. If done correctly it will kick it to your forward 3 every time where they can skillfully dribble in around the defenders to score. This method takes 15 seconds. Other times the ‘B kick’ will go to defender 2 near your goalie. There are two options here. The faster but riskier one is to kick the ball (A) up the field. Your forward will get it 50% of the time for an easy goal in 13 seconds. The other 50% of the time the computer will steal it and waste a lot of time. This is worst case scenario. I recommend just dribbling the length of the field with your slower defender. This is the slowest method to score and may take 20 seconds. 

So adding this all up you should be able to score at least 3 goals per minute even with the slower 20 second method. A combination of these will allow you to score 4 goals per minute and if you’re very lucky and execution is perfect you can score 5 goal per minute. I will post a pic after to not further muddy up this already ridiculous post. 

When the opposing goalie has the ball there are a few outcomes. The goalie will try to drop kick the ball into play. If timed correctly you can head the ball directly into the net for a super quick goal. If it goes over the crossbars try again for the quick header goal when the goalie kicks it. If it bounces off the crossbars be ready to kick it back into the net.

Unfortunately, missing the header is more likely. Usually it will go to your forward 2 where you will try to score it back into the net. This works a good amount of the time with proper timing because Argentina’s forward 2 has excellent kicking power. When the goalie kicks the ball to the sides I find it best to knock the ball out of bounds. If done in the right spot you can steal the throw in every time and dribble in for a goal. 

If you are ever awarded a free kick, tap the B button slightly to pass it to yourself and dribble in for the goal. 

Ok everyone got all that? That’s enough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What happened to @skinnygrinny this week?

Wondered the same thing a few times. The game took so much heat early in the week, participation was way down. I assumed he just didn't want to bother with it, but you'd know better than me. Too bad more people didn't get into it because the game turned out to be pretty fun once you learned it. And the biggest blowout in one game contest fits perfectly for a weekly format. 

23 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Wondered the same thing a few times. The game took so much heat early in the week, participation was way down. I assumed he just didn't want to bother with it, but you'd know better than me. Too bad more people didn't get into it because the game turned out to be pretty fun once you learned it. And the biggest blowout in one game contest fits perfectly for a weekly format. 

I wish I had been able to play more. I doubt I would have been in contention for the win, but I think I could have done better.

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wish I had been able to play more. I doubt I would have been in contention for the win, but I think I could have done better.

You would have been in double digits for sure. I'm still pissed I wasn't. Couldn't get scoring going down. Regularly ended first half 6 or 7 zip, but couldn't get goals the other direction. You'd have broken through that 

1 minute ago, NESfiend said:

You would have been in double digits for sure. I'm still pissed I wasn't. Couldn't get scoring going down. Regularly ended first half 6 or 7 zip, but couldn't get goals the other direction. You'd have broken through that 

If I had all week, hopefully I would have done better. I probably won't even get a chance to play Donkey Kong until the weekend, but I'm sure that I can put up a decent score in a few attempts.

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

What happened to @skinnygrinny this week?

18 hours ago, NESfiend said:

sorry fellas i been cheating on you

5A618D91-79B9-4B07-BF36-ACE890186B0D.jpeg

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned