IGNORED

NES back label question

Hello,

I apologize, this may be a silly question, but I keep coming up with no results when searching.

I'm a long time gamer, and I've recently been looking to buy games I remember from my childhood. I've been watching a lot of "what to look for" videos to spot repo carts and one of the things that always comes up is the two digit number stamped onto the back label. I just recently bought two games (Contra and Metal Gear) who have the number "24" but it looks printed and not stamped/imprinted into the label. Is this typical?

I've seen listings on ebay with the same "print" but also some that are stamped like I've come to expect from the videos and articles I've been looking at. Was there a time where they went from the "print" to the "stamp?" None of my original games I did still have from childhood are printed like these two.

I did order a game bit when I bought the load of games, but the bits haven't arrived yet for me to open anything up. I'm leaning towards this being normal, but I just found it odd that the number wasn't stamped in. Also, they aren't high valued games, so I would think the time and resources wouldn't be worth faking them.

I'm not so much worried about these two in particular to be fake, more just looking to improve my knowledge on the subject.

Both types of markings are legit, although I'm not sure if there was a transition date from one to the other. @austin532, @0xDEAFC0DE? In general, it would be pretty silly to counterfeit the back of the cart since there are literally millions of donor carts available for a couple bucks. Sure the copyright and warning info on the back is different from game to game, but very few people care or would notice. 

Obviously opening the cart and looking at the PCB is the only way to verify the actual game. 

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 12:42 AM, austin532 said:

It's normal for Ultra/Konami games to have a printed number. In fact Konami even made their own boards with some games.

Totally, Im thinking 100% of the ultra/Konami games I’ve found that has the 24 On the back has the Konami version board inside. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 10:44 PM, austin532 said:

I'm not sure if all printed 24 backs have the Konami board or not.

Does the Konami board look a lot different than most other boards? I really want to see one now. I may be unscrewing all my Konami carts later

43 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Does the Konami board look a lot different than most other boards? I really want to see one now. I may be unscrewing all my Konami carts later

Not much difference besides the added Konami lettering and the edge of the board is brown instead of white.

image.jpg

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Thanks @austin532. I was mistaken; the light green/teal boards are actually the Acclaim/Virgin/Hi-Tech boards.

Now I want to see these! I have taken apart a lot of carts and never really come across anything unexpected. Probably good that I haven't. I would have jumped to the incorrect conclusion that a teal board is fake.