IGNORED

Spirits and Spells CIB is $100+ now

MiamiSlice

8 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

I don’t get it. It’s not rare. I’ve had several and many have sold lately. 

Apparently “there’s only a few copies on eBay” is the threshold for rare nowadays 

Then again I’ve seen people speculating that Cooking Mama Cookstar must be super limited because of all the release shenanigans even though there’s plenty of copies on eBay and many collectors already have it. 

So I guess there’s not much you have to do to convince the average buyer that something is rare.

• Like 1

The Gameboy Advance version is quite rare and sometimes that rarity spills over into prices on other platforms that aren't as rare.  Examples, SNES Fun N Games / 3 Ninjas Kick Back which eventually caused price swings on the Genesis versions that are much more common.

And a year ago is ancient in Gamecube market especially.  That system is about as hot as it is.  I sold the Sonic Duo Pack under $1k about 2 years ago and now it has just sold twice for $6100, one of which was the exact copy I sold.  Prices move my friend. 

• Like 1

There’s a lot of people on Facebook groups trying to price gouge games. Tons of people saying everything is rare and scaring each other into needing to “get it now before it’s too late” 

every time someone makes a post like that on those Facebook groups the games almost always go up in price. The GameCube collector scene is fuckin silly right now lol

I just can't shake the feeling that there's some price manipulation going on. Why would someone looking to collect obscure GameCube games pay $284 for something that used to go for ~$60 and recently sold for $112? I'm never surprised when a noobish buyer spends way over market for something that is high demand like Smash Bros Melee or Animal Crossing but something like this feels suspect. $284 is high enough to move the average up on price tracker sites and these price trackers are plenty influential. Plus it's been all these very low volume games that have spiked way up in price, games that only have a few sales per month at most. 

It's a cool theme at least. Better than those crappy racing games going to the moon. I really would not be surprised if two people on Earth FOMO'd on Gamecube enough after seeing the $6000 Monkey Ball auction to pay $284 for Spirits and Spells just thinking Gamecube is the next big thing.

It's like a have a 6th Sense for this BS. I've really meant to get into GC collecting in the past year or so, after knocking out a couple of goals. Now, the scene is so nuts, I can't bring myself to get the games I want and that I want to actually play.

The thing is, the Game Cube was a great system (in my opinion) but was over shadowed by the PS2 and X-Box. All games are "uncommon" compared to something on the other systems. I guess these spikes make sense because an unpopular Nintendo console today, has the chance of being a real collectors set in 15-20 years but, dang it, I really need that first party line-up. Oh well, I better grab all of the Tony Hawks that came out on the GC before even those are going for $20+ each, which I hadn't checked and I sure hope they aren't. At least I got Rogue Squadron the other day for under $20. That felt like a "steal".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Craigly1234 said:

There’s a lot of people on Facebook groups trying to price gouge games. Tons of people saying everything is rare and scaring each other into needing to “get it now before it’s too late” 

every time someone makes a post like that on those Facebook groups the games almost always go up in price. The GameCube collector scene is fuckin silly right now lol

I’m in a PS1 collecting group on Facebook and there’s been this inside joke to hype up “The Hive” and call it the holy grail, super rare, etc. That game shot up in value after a few weeks of that joke.

**For the record I was not a participant in the joke to hype it up

54B3D3BF-56CE-483B-A8DC-21525F25BBEF.jpeg

• Wow! 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

I’m in a PS1 collecting group on Facebook and there’s been this inside joke to hype up “The Hive” and call it the holy grail, super rare, etc. That game shot up in value after a few weeks of that joke.

Plot twist: It was not a joke, they realized the game was probably uncommon to rare with low demand (most likely low demand and rare) and planned it out, they gathered a decent number of people in it and raised awareness in a popular group (because they probably have multiple copies of it to sell?) and some less knowledgable people panicked, took the bait and bought some copies. 

If you're going to do a joke, make it with a really crap game,  not so uncommon at best, right? Would be the point of the joke, to actually trick people into buying a common game. Doesn't make sense with a potencially rare one.  They probably knew what they were doing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

**For the record I was not a participant in the joke to hype it up

54B3D3BF-56CE-483B-A8DC-21525F25BBEF.jpeg

Lol nice.  I actually sold one recently for a tidy profit off a $10 game.  I remember seeing it spike up above 50 for a minute.  Wish I’d sold my psychic force when it was 150 instead of half that now

Prices in general have been super weird since this pandemic started. My brother sold a handful of dirt common Wii games and Mario Kart Wii for around $80. I can understand Wii games going up in price: millions of people are stuck home and the only console they have is a Wii, so they buy games to keep the kids busy.

Prices going up on collectable games could be due to a similar effect (people stuck at home, suddenly with a free paycheck in their pocket, rediscover their collecting hobby).. but this one is just weird. Could this be someone artificially inflating the price with multiple accounts?

It’s random how I really have maybe 20-30 GameCube games but am managing to have the oddball recently expensive ones, I have spirits and spells and go go hypergrind lol

edit: wow someone trying to sell the case and manual for $149 on eBay without the game. 

Edited by a3quit4s