IGNORED

Ask and ye shall receive

Moderator · Posted

Forgive my being dramatic, I’m just really jazzed this happened.

From the moment I first started collecting homebrew and chiptune, I knew some items on my wishlist would be difficult since so many of the earliest games and albums were long since out of print. But in trying to learn as much as possible about them, I occasionally stumble upon a nugget.

I was researching the early NES chiptune album Duck Tails by Puzzle Boys, better known as Chaz Buchanan. I found a few old threads on NA that mentioned it, gave me some context on its age and price the last time one changed hands there. But I also found an interview Chaz gave, which mentioned that he was giving some of his limited run of 50 carts to two retro gaming shops in upstate New York to sell among their inventory. I took the long shot and emailed both. One responded, he had one copy left that he’d sell me. And it arrived today! What’s more, the store owner and I have been emailing back and forth as he shares cool tidbits about the album, like how he helped produce them and that the artist wanted to produce it for the Commodore 64, but thought that would be too obscure.

9463BFCD-DAFF-42D6-97AD-2669D4874EBF.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Wow! 2

• 1 month later...

I am super jealous! By any chance in your research did you find the (freely given away) ROM?

Apparently the artist had it up for public download but his site disappeared and I can't find it anywhere. I'm resigned to probably never getting my hands on an actual cart but I'd like to at least experience the album on my flashcart 🙂

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, ChortleMyBalls said:

I am super jealous! By any chance in your research did you find the (freely given away) ROM?

Apparently the artist had it up for public download but his site disappeared and I can't find it anywhere. I'm resigned to probably never getting my hands on an actual cart but I'd like to at least experience the album on my flashcart 🙂

I guess his website with the rom is gone, but his Bandcamp page links to YouTube videos that play the album: https://puzzleboys.bandcamp.com/