IGNORED

Which Parts of Collecting Do You Hate Most?

Title says it all, which parts of collecting do you hate most? I'm not talking about dirty resellers or paying high prices, sellers remorse, etc, rather I'm talking about other issues.

For me, I hate sorting out and then deciding which items to keep, whenever I make a find or score a set of items. This mainly becomes an issue when it comes to upgrading an item or not.

For those guys that collect Famicom bootlegs, often the same cart ended up in multiple different shell designs and colours. So in addition to deciding which cartridge looks the nicest (in terms of physical appearance), one also needs to decide which cartridge looks aesthetically nicer. Then there's a situation where some people (such as myself) actually prefer shop stickers on the carts, if it's a nice-looking sticker in an unobtrusive area, and if it's a shop that is/was in the area I'm living.

Secondly, in terms of bootleg Famicom cartridges, older / earlier carts were 1:1 copies, a few years later they started hacking out the copyright information or putting their own copyright information in. I am trying to document and collect both the unhacked and hacked versions, so that just throws another aspect into the mix. So it's time consuming when I sort through this stuff to upgrade.

What aspects do you guys hate?

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

People that think they're collectors but the second they find a game worth more than $100 they sell it.

I still regret when I was a poor grad student and had to cash out on some of my more expensive stuff. I know, rent and food are obviously more important but it’s going to be bitch getting them back, if I ever do.

32 minutes ago, Californication said:

I don't like cleaning carts, stickers, etc.

And the trips to the post office get old too.

I started doing USPS pickup and it's changed my life. Just put a prepaid shipping label on the box and leave the package on your porch or in the mailbox. Just make sure to give your mail carrier a nice tip every now and then.

Having people praise really bad and rare games, even incentivizing others to also buy em'. Unless you got it cheap and you are going to make fun of how bad it is (example streaming it with a few people watching and laughing at all the cringe and awful voice acting, gameplay, etc), I don't wanna hear about it. Just because it's worth a ton of money doesn't mean it looks good on your collection. Why get a really bad 100$ game when you can also get a 100$ awesome game which is way less rare (but more in demand)? We know all the bad games will end up being sold anyways (Looks at Rule of Rose).

People who are into retrogaming just for the money. It's ok to sell your own games (it's your money and it's your possession), but entering retrogaming groups, communities, etc, just to learn about what's getting expensive, what's worth selling, where the big buckaroos are atm, and then not sharing any kind of stories, any game talk, literally nothing to share about their childhood games, what games they like, what do they collect, and it's so clear they zero interest in this besides the money.
And then they constantly ask the same goddamn stupid questions, like: "Is my pokemon gba cart real? How do I know?". They don't even google, they want YOU to feed them info cause they're too lazy to research. 

stickers on cd games or across labels.

Stickers in general, but have gotten pretty good at removing them over the years. but to see a blockbuster sticker cover a cd or n64 label, knowing I will never be able to get it off without damaging it, kills me.

3 hours ago, Californication said:

And the trips to the post office get old too.

They pick it up! I haven't went to the post office in months, maybe a year. Go to USPS.com and schedule a pick up. It's the shit. 

On topic, things I hate? Selling. I know it comes with the territory since I buy lots and only keep what I need from it but it gets old FAST. idk how it is humanly possible but buyers of video games become more of cunts every year. Picky little,whiny little, snotty noised, shit for brains cunts.

Maybe it's just a sign of the times and that's how everyone in the US is becoming? Maybe it's bc we get to hide behind our keyboard and in a different state? Idk what it is but the amount or cuntiness exceeds max every year from online shoppers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Selling duplicates and unwanted games. 

Getting lots seems like one of the most cost effective ways to collect.  If I like everything in it great.  If not, I do not enjoy parting it out and selling it all off for a free game or two.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 2

I'm with yall on storage. I guess more specifically shelving. In the beginning I bought bookshelves for my collection... It was cheap and approachable and easily duplicated when the time came. 

Now I have 6 (down from 9) bookshelves full of games. I kinda hate how they stick out double or triple the width I need, and that the prefab shelving doesn't allow for neat single-row displays. 

I'm 16 years into intentionally collecting now and I'm really getting to a sad point where I have to ditch filler. I only enjoy 30 N64 games. Do I need 150 of them? I never even owned an OG Xbox... I never even plugged in the one I have now. Do I need to keep it? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 315retro said:

I'm with yall on storage. I guess more specifically shelving. In the beginning I bought bookshelves for my collection... It was cheap and approachable and easily duplicated when the time came. 

Now I have 6 (down from 9) bookshelves full of games. I kinda hate how they stick out double or triple the width I need, and that the prefab shelving doesn't allow for neat single-row displays. 

I'm 16 years into intentionally collecting now and I'm really getting to a sad point where I have to ditch filler. I only enjoy 30 N64 games. Do I need 150 of them? I never even owned an OG Xbox... I never even plugged in the one I have now. Do I need to keep it? 

There may be a few options you haven't considered here:

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

On topic, things I hate? Selling. I know it comes with the territory since I buy lots and only keep what I need from it but it gets old FAST. idk how it is humanly possible but buyers of video games become more of cunts every year. Picky little,whiny little, snotty noised, shit for brains cunts.

Maybe it's just a sign of the times and that's how everyone in the US is becoming? Maybe it's bc we get to hide behind our keyboard and in a different state? Idk what it is but the amount or cuntiness exceeds max every year from online shoppers. 

It's no coincidence that this sort of behavior really took off when ebay started allowing buyers to demand refunds, including shipping, on basically everything for any reason and with no proof.

• Like 1