IGNORED

Emulation Subforum in The Gauntlet?

It seems we've had a growing interest in emulation with the success of Analogue, the AVS, mini consoles, and whatnot. We also have NOT had a problem with discussion of illegal activities related to ROMs. As such, I think it would be nice to have these threads organized into a Subforum in The Gauntlet. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Have no clue what you are referring to regarding illegal activity and roms? I don't emulate in any form, so I am obviously way out of the loop

Emulators that don't use copyrighted source code are generally considered legal in the United States. However, owning, downloading, distributing, and even ripping ROMs from games you own is probably not. Rather than go into the specifics, here is a great article that addresses the topic with input from an actual copyright and intellectual property lawyer. It's worth a read: https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, DoctorEncore said:

Emulators that don't use copyrighted source code are generally considered legal in the United States. However, owning, downloading, and even ripping ROMs from games you own is probably not. Rather than go into the specifics, here is a great article that addresses the topic with input from an actual copyright and intellectual property lawyer. It's worth a read: https://www.howtogeek.com/262758/is-downloading-retro-video-game-roms-ever-legal/

Talking about those things isn't illegal and we're not hosting any ROMs on this site. 

To be honest, and this is just me, Doug, talking and not an "official VGS stance" or anything, I don't even see any issue personally with people saying stuff like "there's rom packs on pirate bay" or whatever. 

Look at how long it took Nintendo to crack down on the actual ROM sites hosting ROMs for free and easy download. Yeeeeears. And even after they did so people were like "Hehe waybackmachine" and Nintendo didnt/can't really do much about that. 

Personally I see no problem with us adding a section dedicated to chatting about emulators, especially as it pertains to stuff like "which is best?", "what features do they have?", and "what to use for developing my homebrew game", stuff like that. 

Where it might get tricky is if people start asking for others to share ROMs. To that personally I'd simply say do so in private. What I don't know can't hurt me in this regard. I can see your PM's (any admin can) by looking you up on the admin panel and logging into your account, but we do that so incredibly rarely (I've done it once to check on a known, banned scammer, to see who he reached out to so we could warn them) it's hardly worth a mention outside of simply disclosing for transparency (I've mentioned this before). 

All that to say - let's hear your opinions. I'd be interested to have this discussion out here in the public, so other staffers please feel free to chime in too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I am super anti-emulation. Just my 2 cents. No one is using it to do legal shit anyway.

Well, my Analogue Nt is a hardware emulator and I use it play all my legally acquired cartridges. Also, all the mini consoles are software emulators released for consumer use by the companies who own the games. So everything I'm using emulation for is 100% legal.

Some people may be doing things that aren't totally legit, but the emulation conversation goes well beyond using a PC and downloading illegal ROMs.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I am super anti-emulation. Just my 2 cents. No one is using it to do legal shit anyway.

Thats just not true. I dont use it either, but save states would save a lot of time practicing a level it takes an hour to get to. Getting more involved in the nes completions thread this  year, I'm thinking about it all the time. I could have beat a lot more titles if I had access to save states. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Nintegageo said:

Don't we have a homebrew area though?

Other people have also mentioned decent points, but I do think the vast majority use it to play games they shouldn't be playing.

You're not wrong in that regard, it's a fair point, and reasonable. 

• 3 weeks later...