IGNORED

What is the most you have ever paid for a game?

$319 buy it now for a Dino Peak, in 2018 (yeah, smashed that button real hard when that popped up).

$875 on a nice Samson, also on ebay

$600 for a Hot Slots cart, in the flesh.

Zero guilt on these buys thus far, I had a ton of loot from reselling garage sale junk etc, didn't phase me and they were technically "good deals".

Other than those I always had a fairly firm $200 max on anything no matter how rare or whatever; typically just keep it frugal as hell otherwise but sometimes it's fun to go to a con and be like, yeah gimme the Gun Nac here's $200 I'm sick of waiting for "the find".  These purchases are me in very rare form, if anyone here knows me personally.  I'm more of a wait-for-years-to-find-the-thing-for-$5 kinda guy but I chose that full set life and reached the end of the rope on wild finds for the most part, got sick of waiting on the final few.

Edited by 8bitsupremacy
more blathering

14 hours ago, DarkTone said:

Why is this a. Expensive game? Or is it the box and instructions that are worth a lot?

It's mostly the poster and the registration card that inflates the value.  Pricecharting has been pretty consistent at around 900 CAD for a box, cart, and manual, but finding one with all the extras, especially when I got it, jumped things by a huge amount.  It was prime SNES rarity hype.  2 weeks after I bought one, another went up in the exact same condition for like 1200 CAD less, hence the regret.  I waited 2 years to find one in the condition I wanted, and within a month 2 others popped up after I bought mine, and both were cheaper.  Box and manual are still extremely rare though, on par or even harder to find than aerofighters in my opinion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Homeboyks said:

It's mostly the poster and the registration card that inflates the value.  Pricecharting has been pretty consistent at around 900 CAD for a box, cart, and manual, but finding one with all the extras, especially when I got it, jumped things by a huge amount.  It was prime SNES rarity hype.  2 weeks after I bought one, another went up in the exact same condition for like 1200 CAD less, hence the regret.  I waited 2 years to find one in the condition I wanted, and within a month 2 others popped up after I bought mine, and both were cheaper.  Box and manual are still extremely rare though, on par or even harder to find than aerofighters in my opinion.

That's when you go 'all in' and buy the cheaper ones too and sell them for an inflated price 😛

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

That's when you go 'all in' and buy the cheaper ones too and sell them for an inflated price 😛

I thought about it, I really did.  That was a lot of additional capital to invest, and since I knew I was being stupid buying the first one, I was pretty sure I'd never make my money back even on the cheaper one.

• Like 1

My top 4

Hyper Duel- 400 USD from eBay 2018. Top tier Saturn Shoot-em-ups are my thing so worth it to me. 

Little Samson- 375 USD from eBay 2010. I slightly overpaid but it’s a very nice copy.

Bubble Bobble 2- 275 USD from NA AaronShea 2010ish. Shrink wrap mint copy. Whatever happened to that guy??

Jetsons- 250 USD from NA Langenfelds entire NES set sell off 2016. 

42DA0300-443D-43C3-8C84-87F577C8732C.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kid Dracula said:

My top 4

Hyper Duel- 400 USD from eBay 2018. Top tier Saturn Shoot-em-ups are my thing so worth it to me. 

Little Samson- 375 USD from eBay 2010. I slightly overpaid but it’s a very nice copy.

Bubble Bobble 2- 275 USD from NA AaronShea 2010ish. Shrink wrap mint copy. Whatever happened to that guy??

Jetsons- 250 USD from NA Langenfelds entire NES set sell off 2016. 

That Bubble Bobble 2 is awesome!

I'm extremely cheap...I rely on "wild" finds for almost my entire collection. I don't think I've ever spent over $100 on a single game, save for some collectors edition stuff I bought new once upon a time? And even those I think I was only buying with the Amazon 20% discount on preorders.

I've told myself I wouldn't sensibly pay over original retail price for any game...but I do see myself breaking that in the future. I can rationalize it because I've built most of my collection for literal pennies...I have a lot of spending to catch up to breaking even, so a splurge on something extravagant here or there isn't the worst thing....

On 5/3/2020 at 9:57 PM, Nes Freak said:

yep 😛  i got it a few years ago. from a user on NA.  and tbh i probably over paid for it a bit.  but it was worth it 😛

Is it for sale? Lol. Kidding. Hard to find a really nice copy.

I’ve spent a decent amount on a few games. 

My top 3:

Mega Man 1 oval seal graded 85 - $2500 

Mega Man 5 - graded 85 - $2500

Mega Man V - Nice Shape cib $1100.

All of these games I paid for by selling other gaming items so I use “recycled money” rather than the money out of my bank account haha. 

Edited by gutsman004
  • Like 1

On a single game? Well I spent $220 to get a CIB Cubivore last year, but then my brother gave me his copy in December and I sold that one a couple months ago for the exact same amount, so I feel like it doesn't count. 

I think my biggest purchase then on a single game was $175 for the Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition CIB with the pre-order bonus. Most of my "expensive" purchases have been in that $100 - $175 range. Usually much more often I'm buying stuff that's under $100 or I'm getting lots / hauls where I'm not spending hardly anything. 

I did spend $380 to get the Animal Crossing limited edition Switch console right after missing the boat on pre-orders, but I paid that off with flipping other stuff. I wouldn't buy it for $600 or whatever it's going for now. 

Biggest single purchase was a $600 haul of like 300 games and a few accessories that I did earlier this year, but that was because I was flipping the stuff. I've already made a little over $100 profit on that after covering some expenses (printer ink, packing tape, etc.). Nothing expensive or valuable in there, the best game I got from it was Opoona for Wii. 

I spent a couple hours last Sunday night agonizing about a very good condition CIB Shantae on eBay. Asking price was 1200 GBP and it allowed offers. Was going to be almost $1500 USD plus extra fees for customs. I kid you not, I actually made a list of stuff I was willing to sell from my collection to cover the cost. I even made an offer. But to be honest I felt like it might be the wrong time to be making such a big purchase. I might end up regretting it in the future because it sold for the asking price while I was looking at it. I'm seriously considering if I can find a private deal to get the game, or maybe if I wait a bit prices might come back down a bit. Who knows. But at this point there's only a couple games I'm willing to spend over $200 for, this and Shepherd's Crossing 2. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

4 hours ago, gutsman004 said:

My top 3:

All of these games I paid for by selling other gaming items so I use “recycled money” rather than the money out of my bank account haha. 

Can I send you my Christmas list? 😂

5 hours ago, gutsman004 said:

My top 3:

thats how i do it :P  im not a sealed collector though i prefer it opened.

4 hours ago, Nes Freak said:

thats how i do it 😛 im not a sealed collector though i prefer it opened.

I only collect sealed Mega Man games from the classic series,but if they are too expensive or difficult to obtain I just go for cib.

Like I’ve only seen a sealed MM V maybe 3-4 times in the last 10 years. I think a graded one once. 

None were cheap then,I can’t imagine how much those would go for now.

6 hours ago, gutsman004 said:

I only collect sealed Mega Man games from the classic series,but if they are too expensive or difficult to obtain I just go for cib.

Like I’ve only seen a sealed MM V maybe 3-4 times in the last 10 years. I think a graded one once. 

None were cheap then,I can’t imagine how much those would go for now.

some guy have the whole GB mm set sealed and graded for 60k on ebay a little while back.