IGNORED

What is the most you have ever paid for a game?

$110 for my CIB Airboarders 64 and Mario Kart 8 Limited Edition (PAL Version as I don't live in the States). Then system I'd say I paid the most for would be the SNES Classic I bought new at 140 (that was and still is the retail price for it here. I know, we get ripped off). Most consoles I have are from when I was younger or birthday presents- in the case of the Switch that was Christmas as well since they're 550 new). 

Never been one to justify spending above retail for anything, so never have. Especially now. 

Edited by NZCollector

Graphics Team · Posted

I bought a PAL copy of Little Samson for $200 a few years ago. Am I proud of it? No. Do I regret it? Not a chance. Little Samson is awesome, and I'm happy to have a legit version (since I'll never afford an NTSC copy).

-CasualCart

1715924972_BuyingGames.jpg.3b2c9c0edff0cfc78980762844bbdc13.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

I won't say how much, but on NA (can't exactly recall who) someone wanted to unload 7x CIB Chronos, half with the registation cards.  Technically, it's a single game... just multiple copies.  It was an investment and I know I def paid more than $1,000.  By far the largest, single purchase I've made.  Anyway, I still have 4, I kept the one in best condition and by the time I finally unload the last three, I will have been "paid" to have a nice CIB Chrono Trigger.

Edited by RH
  • Wow! 1

3 minutes ago, RH said:

I won't say how much, but on NA (can't exactly recall who) someone wanted to unload 7x CIB Chronos, half with the registation cards.  Technically, it's a single game... just one copy.  It was an investment and I know I def paid more than $1,000.  By far the largest, single purchase I've made.  Anyway, I still have 4, I kept the one in best condition and by the time I finally unload the last three, I will have been "paid" to have a nice CIB Chrono Trigger.

1490456770_download(32).jpeg.1e99208887fcac49fbdb46d7e0ad3216.jpeg

j/k   ^___^

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

My wife doesn't even know, so I'm sure as hell not gonna tell you guys. 😬

I’m gonna take a stab and guess...

aside from the wedding ring, take the price of the most expensive thing you’ve bought for her...

might equate to the dearest CIB purchase, or times by 2 for the dearest sealed game. Am I close?

38 minutes ago, GPX said:

I’m gonna take a stab and guess...

aside from the wedding ring, take the price of the most expensive thing you’ve bought for her...

might equate to the dearest CIB purchase, or times by 2 for the dearest sealed game. Am I close?

Hahahaha. I love that you have a formula for this. 🤣

24 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Megaman 3 (prototype) - $1250 USD

Zombie Nation (complete) - $700 CAD

Bumper Bash (complete) - $600 CAD

Many, many other games for $300 - $500 range.

I don't have as much tied up in individual games as I used to, but that cumulative amount adds up quick.

• Like 1

Most o my most expensive game purchases were arcade-related. I own a complete set Neo Geo MVS set, plus some JP games etc. I believe Pochi & Naya was the most expensive one, but I got mine complete at less than 1/2 what the next cheapest one was listed at at the time. Short answer: I hate money apparently. Love games though.

$600 on CIB Earthbound 7 years ago to replace my bad copy of the game. Ended up selling the box, guide and my original crap copy for almost what I paid for it several months later due to finance troubles. But I got a nice clean copy out of it. I would probably never spend that amount on any other game but EB is a special case for me.

Outside of that, $200 for CIB Cubivore on GameCube which is still too much for one game IMO.

8 hours ago, drxandy said:

I'm part of the cheapskate club, so the highest I can think of is either steel battalion for Xbox with the controller for $150 or ni no Kuni 2 on release special edition.. paid like 180 for it to drop to basically nothing within a year 😕

There was a period where I was buying every single 360/PS3 special edition, but I had to stop since it was such huge waste of money. Sure, a few of them skyrocketed in value, but the vast majority of them got clearanced for a quarter of the price. Also, they just take up too much space. I'm still a sucker for steelbooks, but only if it's a game I'm already planning to buy and it doesn't double the price.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

There was a period where I was buying every sigle 360/PS3 special edition, but I had to stop since it was such huge waste of money. Sure, a  few of them skyrocketed in value, but the vast majority of them got clearanced for a quarter of the price. Also, they just take up too much space. I'm still a sucker for steelbooks, but only if it's a game I'm already planning to buy and it doesn't double the price.

I thought I was being smart because the original ni no Kuni's collectors edition was actually limited and I missed out on it haha, last time I splurge on a big dev special edition on its launch day even if it's a series I love.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Hagane (2014ish) and Metal Warriors (2017ish), both in the mid to high $200s.  I think.  I'm hard pressed to remember any amount for any game nowadays.  I've definitely never gotten into the $300s.

Everything else above $150 has involved trades

I do remember getting sniped on a Star Fox weekend that was in the $400s