IGNORED

Creating Your Own Spice Blend

fcgamer

I was cleaning out the kitchen tonight and stumbled upon four jars of spices, which were all grossly outdated. I decided to get rid of the contents but kept the jars, since moving to Taiwan I've become a bit of a hoarder, sometimes you can't easily find things that we'd easily have access to back home.

It gave me the idea of making my own spice blend, and then giving some to a few of my local friends here, who also enjoy cooking, as a small gift.

Anyone make any spice blends before? I'm gonna research this over the upcoming holiday.

7 minutes ago, noiseredux said:

I've been known to do this with last bits of coffee... and scotch.

There's a strong stout here made by a Danish company, yet rebranded for a local convenience store. The taste is alright. I discovered that blending it with a cheap coffee, about half and half, made a really delicious drink , much better than either of the separated parts.

I usually blend my own spices for bbq dry rubs. Brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, onion salt, dry oregano and thyme, black pepper, granulated garlic, chili powder, and sometimes coriander and cumin if I am doing a more tex-mex style. I love heavy dry mustard in my rubs. If I had a signature rub, it would be that.

• Like 1

I have been considering making a kefta blend. Chopping mint and parsley gets tedious. I would have to replace them with dry. I couldn’t get fresh mint last time I made it so I did use dry. It was a little easier, but I still needed to work to get the stems out. If I had a jar of everything here but the garlic, onions, and meat, that would be awesome. 

4628F4E9-728C-42DC-B6CC-64A13C300CB5.thumb.jpeg.dc0968eba28b8d5a5e1f07e8f640f5e7.jpeg

These are good in a pita with chopped LTO, shredded carrots, and tzatziki sauce.

Or, crumbled and mixed with feta and frozen spinach (add salt) in little bundles of fillo dough — 3 layers w/butter brushed in between. Bake 5-8 minutes at 400? I freeze them and bake for 10.

When I finished the fillo, I added the leftover meat and feta to an egg white sandwich with tomato, which was delicious. Now I’m thinking about putting  kefta blend directly on eggs.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:35 PM, Link said:

I have been considering making a kefta blend. Chopping mint and parsley gets tedious. I would have to replace them with dry. I couldn’t get fresh mint last time I made it so I did use dry. It was a little easier, but I still needed to work to get the stems out. If I had a jar of everything here but the garlic, onions, and meat, that would be awesome. 

4628F4E9-728C-42DC-B6CC-64A13C300CB5.thumb.jpeg.dc0968eba28b8d5a5e1f07e8f640f5e7.jpeg

These are good in a pita with chopped LTO, shredded carrots, and tzatziki sauce.

Or, crumbled and mixed with feta and frozen spinach (add salt) in little bundles of fillo dough — 3 layers w/butter brushed in between. Bake 5-8 minutes at 400? I freeze them and bake for 10.

When I finished the fillo, I added the leftover meat and feta to an egg white sandwich with tomato, which was delicious. Now I’m thinking about putting  kefta blend directly on eggs.

Mint is easy to grow and maintain if you have a hard time getting fresh mint. Just keeping it in a little flower pot in a window should do. Same with parsley and basil. 

14 hours ago, Kguillemette said:

Mint is easy to grow and maintain if you have a hard time getting fresh mint. Just keeping it in a little flower pot in a window should do. Same with parsley and basil. 

We just weren’t going to the store I usually get mint at because it was too crowded. But that’s a good idea. I should have chives too.

On 4/29/2020 at 6:24 PM, Kguillemette said:

I usually blend my own spices for bbq dry rubs. Brown sugar, paprika, dry mustard, onion salt, dry oregano and thyme, black pepper, granulated garlic, chili powder, and sometimes coriander and cumin if I am doing a more tex-mex style. I love heavy dry mustard in my rubs. If I had a signature rub, it would be that.

Mines similar. Brown sugar, smoked paprika, garlic salt, onion powder, cumin, sea salt and tons of fresh black pepper. I have some ghost peppers I sliced up and threw in some salt, then the salt on the smoker for smoked salt... If it's BBQ for me I put in a bit of that! 

Pork shoulder on the smoker at 10 pm and ready by noon the next day! 

Edited by 315retro

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

There’s an Italian restaurant called Carrabbas over here, they give you a teaspoon of spices on a plate and pour olive oil over it. You mix this up and dip toasted Italian bread into it. It was so good I had to look up the recipe for the spice mix:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.food.com/amp/recipe/carrabbas-italian-dip-mix-140869
2271BD6F-3CB4-4318-8F26-B36E4977C7CD.thumb.png.fcbc031bb17877bef20d90a5f095ea12.png

• Thanks 1