IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - TMNT 3

BeaIank

19 hours ago, guillavoie said:

My good man, next time you submit a score, make sure to end your run when you get to 'life 0' 🙂!

Derp! Made another run, and followed the rules this time. Still shat the bed against BeBop though. Between that extender ball and chain and his long kick reach, I have a heck of time fighting him without taking damage.

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Chuppa said:

Thanks for the heads up...however don't think that will be an issue for me. lol

You can pause the game right after you beat Shredder to get ready, but you can't pause it after the game adds the 100k bonus. I almost forgot about it myself since we haven't played this in a contest since 2013.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, profholt82 said:

Derp! Made another run, and followed the rules this time. Still shat the bed against BeBop though. Between that extender ball and chain and his long kick reach, I have a heck of time fighting him without taking damage.

spacer.png

This is one of the only bosses I can beat with little or no damage. Hopefully this will help if you do another run. You want to stand pretty close to him to trigger his chain/ball throw. Not so close that you don't have time to jump when he does, just close enough to get him to deploy it. When he does that, jump straight up to dodge the ball, then perform a jump kick to go straight through him. When you land on his other side, swipe him once from behind while he is waiting for his ball to come back to him. Then move away to avoid his kick if he does it when he turns around. Rinse repeat. Its one of the easier boss patterns once you get it. 

I'm about 300k into a run and lost a life I shouldn't have. Almost flipped it off, but I'm going to finish it out and submit it later today. It won't be the last though. 

Edited by NESfiend
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Is there pizza in hidden locations or something? I didn't find any in the first two levels.

No, its just really scarce. Looks just like the TMNT 2 slices. There are only a few. Way more helpful are the extra lives you get for hitting 50k points, 100k, etc. It starts giving them in 50k increments, then goes to 100k. I think 500k is the last one and you are on your own  

Edit: I was incorrect. Paying more attention, free lives come at 50k, 100k, 200k, 300k, 400k, 500k only. 600 did not award one so I am assuming you are cut off from there. 

Edited by NESfiend

2 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

finley put those "hats" on the lego people lol

I gotta ask - looks like there are 2 nes consoles hooked up to 1 TV. Only reason I can think of would be connect one to channel 3 and one to channel 4 so you can alternate between working two games without losing progress? Am I right?

31 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

I gotta ask - looks like there are 2 nes consoles hooked up to 1 TV. Only reason I can think of would be connect one to channel 3 and one to channel 4 so you can alternate between working two games without losing progress? Am I right?

one is rgb moded 🙂 that pvm doesnt have "channels" i dont think anyway. 

i still like to play via composite on a consumer set. pvm/rgb doesnt give you the same nostalgic feels. 

edit: that might make for good practice if you had two setups and two carts but imo its not really in the spirit of the competition but there isnt a rule against it.

Edited by skinnygrinny

1 hour ago, skinnygrinny said:

one is rgb moded 🙂 that pvm doesnt have "channels" i dont think anyway. 

i still like to play via composite on a consumer set. pvm/rgb doesnt give you the same nostalgic feels. 

edit: that might make for good practice if you had two setups and two carts but imo its not really in the spirit of the competition but there isnt a rule against it.

I didn't mean two carts for this competition. I don't know how useful that would be. I thought you may be working the competition game and something else for your personal list or just enjoyment. I have two NES systems on different TVs. Right now one is turtles 3 and the other is anything else. Unless @nerdynebraskan reads this. In that case, the other is solely dedicated to finishing bases loaded 2 for the completions thread. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, NESfiend said:

I didn't mean two carts for this competition. I don't know how useful that would be. I thought you may be working the competition game and something else for your personal list or just enjoyment. I have two NES systems on different TVs. Right now one is turtles 3 and the other is anything else. Unless @nerdynebraskan reads this. In that case, the other is solely dedicated to finishing bases loaded 2 for the completions thread. 

lol ooohhh. bases loaded 2 huh? your a trooper. 

nah i just have two because one is moded no other reason. 

7 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

dear lord now i remember how long this game is and why i didnt get through it last time...

plus f this elevator part wtf?! 

That's always been my biggest issue with it. They made Turtles II longer than the arcade game by adding stages and for some reason they made Turtles III just as long. I like beat em ups, but when they run an hour long from start to finish, they get a bit tedious. Turtles in Time is about a half hour long and it's just right. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

That's always been my biggest issue with it. They made Turtles II longer than the arcade game by adding stages and for some reason they made Turtles III just as long. I like beat em ups, but when they run an hour long from start to finish, they get a bit tedious. Turtles in Time is about a half hour long and it's just right. 

As long as the classic ten lives and/or select stage codes are included, I say by all means give us our money's worth!  And why the heck not add bonus exclusive stages for the NES version?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

pizza time! 

I remember the second TMNT game was very stingy with the pizza compared to the first game.  I know I've mentioned this before but in the first Turtles game, even at the time it came out (I could only get it as a rental at the time sadly) I thought it was really strange how much harder it was to get the Turtles to swim in Level 2 than it is to make Mario swim in the SMB games.  I mean didn't Donatello once say in the cartoon that water is their natural habitat? 😞 

• Haha 1