IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

2 hours ago, mbd39 said:

These just seem like weak excuses for Nintendo cheaping out and not adding battery save

I already added why I think Nintendo didn't use a save battery.  The game is so packed, it already has a ram chip for storage.  Adding a battery would add another ram chip and they would have to create a new board for it and probably raise prices.  Thats even if the MMC3 chip could handle all of that.  Password on the other hand, you'd have a good argument why they should have added it.  But I don't care either way, I think its fine as is, thats why they have the warps so early.

48 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

I already added why I think Nintendo didn't use a save battery.  The game is so packed, it already has a ram chip for storage.  Adding a battery would add another ram chip and they would have to create a new board for it and probably raise prices.  Thats even if the MMC3 chip could handle all of that.  Password on the other hand, you'd have a good argument why they should have added it.  But I don't care either way, I think its fine as is, thats why they have the warps so early.

Precisely!  The JP version didn't need a battery (it did need a slightly bigger cartridge though IIRC) and that was good enough for them!  I think the whistles (and indeed back in the day I'd often use them to just play whatever world I felt like...occasionally I would play through the whole thing, which I think took me about three hours and made my cartridge feel warm!).  That was my big 11th birthday present and I sure got my money's worth out it, agreed? 🙂 

I wish I still had that cartridge...I think I do still have its manual somewhere at least...

1 hour ago, Estil said:

I don't like how they are such Copyright Nazis about things 😞  I mean just to really rub it in, in the Super Mario RPG's manual the piracy warning page shows that Mario will be really mad at you for copying their floppies, eh cartridges!!

I know that it’s Nintendo’s right to do what they want when someone uses their properties, but I often think of how they and Sega both handled the situation so differently recently.

Nintendo: “Here’s a Cease and Desist for your Metroid 2 Remake.”

Sega: “Wow, these Sonic levels you made are great! Want a job? We can make a new Sonic game together!”

Samus Returns: Decent but many feel it’s lacking in some areas.

Sonic Mania: One of, if not the best 2D Sonic games.

Edited by The Strangest

3 minutes ago, DorkOverlord said:

Sega Genesis is a superior console to the SNES. I had both growing up and always preferred my Genesis, although I still love them both. 

Up through the Genesis and Game Gear era, I felt that Nintendo had a better first party line up but I preferred Sonic to 2D Mario any day. Old school Sonic is/was awesome!

1 minute ago, RH said:

Up through the Genesis and Game Gear era, I felt that Nintendo had a better first party line up but I preferred Sonic to 2D Mario any day. Old school Sonic is/was awesome!

Nintendo definitely had some amazing first party titles on SNES. In fact, the whole reason I bought a SNES was for Super Mario World and Link to the Past. I guess I preferred Genesis because it had more arcade ports and more Shmups. 

16 minutes ago, DorkOverlord said:

Sega Genesis is a superior console to the SNES. I had both growing up and always preferred my Genesis, although I still love them both. 

Well in terms of tech specs the SNES is the superior console in almost every way.  But the GEN does have the edge in one key category though, as this reworked lyrics for the first verse and chorus/refrain from that Montgomery Gentry song (I can't believe it came out 18 years ago already) tell us! 😄 

I'm tired of clunky 8 bit games
I need to find a system that's true 16 bit
I need to buy one pretty quick
Hey mister, what you got out on that shelf
Maybe one of them souped up next gen systems
The kind that makes you think you've brought the arcades home
Color palette don't matter, no I don't need no mode 7
All that really concerns me is:

Speeeeeeed, an' how fast will it go
Can it get me over da'loops quickly 
Blast processing can it outrun that fat plumber
Yeah, what I really need
Is a blue hedgehog
An' a whole lot of speed

PS: Sadly the Gentry part of the duo is no longer with us 😞

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Medford,_New_Jersey_helicopter_crash

Edited by Estil

Though Ive always been very into fighting games, I don't really like the Neo Geo. At least, not the vast majority of its games, cause they are far too hard for an ordinary player like me. But there are some exceptions: Fatal Fury Special, Mark of The wolves, Last Blade and Samurai Shodown VI are all huge games.  

Edited by DreamCuPS

26 minutes ago, DorkOverlord said:

Nintendo definitely had some amazing first party titles on SNES. In fact, the whole reason I bought a SNES was for Super Mario World and Link to the Past. I guess I preferred Genesis because it had more arcade ports and more Shmups. 

I thought the Saturn was better than the PlayStation because of the first party Sega titles alone. 

The Gamecube controller is the worst controller ever made, yes that includes N64. 

1.  Asymmetric design having only 1 Z button
  2.  Tiny worthless D pad
  3.  Tiny C Nub
  4.  Analog triggers with waaayyyyy to much travel
  5.  TERRIBLE design choice of moving the main action buttons (A and B) to the worst angle ever for a thumb to use, similar to the NES dogbone controller problem

There I said it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

The Gamecube controller is the worst controller ever made, yes that includes N64. 

2.  Tiny worthless D pad
  3.  Tiny C Nub
  5.  TERRIBLE design choice of moving the main action buttons (A and B) to the worst angle ever for a thumb to use, similar to the NES dogbone controller problem

There I said it.

100% agree. I still have a hard time playing GCN games bc of the controller. You hit all the nails on the head. 

50 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

2.  Tiny worthless D pad
  3.  Tiny C Nub

There I said it.

I never got why people loved the controller.  I spent the first 10 hours of sunshine getting mad at the controller.  Why people think it's perfect for smash I will never get.  A pro controller is great for that.  GCN also sucks for FPS games.

I always liked the N64 controller. Never understood the hate. Worked well for the games I have played.

Edited by zeppelin03
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, DorkOverlord said:

While I certainly love both (my favorite game of all time is on the SNES), I think the Genesis’s visuals are more aesthetically pleasing than SNES’s. They’re cool, arcade-y, and they just scream “16-bit era” to me. I also enjoy the Master System’s visuals more than the NES’s.

On 4/25/2020 at 8:27 PM, Estil said:

1. Pac-Man on the Atari 2600 is actually an okay game.

2. So far, I've chosen not to do online gaming

3. Honestly, I was not nearly as impressed with the Switch as most others were

4. Mobile/phone/tablet only games are the "bush leagues" of video gaming

5. Nintendo sticking with cartridges for the N64 was not all that bad a move

1: I agree. As far as ports go it was pretty top notch. I actually don't have issues with a lot of early Arcade ports, most were at least serviceable

2: I only do Co-op anymore. I was into some early FPS games like old school Counter Strike but I get much more enjoyment out of co-op then competitive.

3: I love the switch a lot. Maybe it helps that I inadvertently skipped the Wii U, though I really do kinda want to get it for a few games... though even then most of those have been ported to Switch now.

4: Most are trash, and pretty much any of the "good" ones have been ported to PC or something or are a port themselves... though I do dig Pokemon Go. Someday we may actually get a killer mobile app game that isn't a P2W monstrosity or immediately ported off to PC... though I'm not holding my breath.

5: biggest draw backs was how expensive they were to produce and the fact that Nintendo was still hanging on to those vestiges of licensing rights they had a stranglehold previously... Though overall I do like cartridges better.

On 4/25/2020 at 10:06 PM, zeppelin03 said:

I don't feel like the NES is all that great.  After about 5 games I drop off hard.  SMB3 is the only game I have felt compelled to beat when playing.  The gameplay generally doesn't interest me and the typical graphics do not help.  Plenty of good music though.  I will give it that.  Just keep Megaman away from me.

On 4/26/2020 at 12:37 AM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Ever play the heavy hitters? Samson, mighty final fight, zombie nation, Bucky O'Hare, metal storm? They're all top tier games. It's a shame physical only players have to shell out the big money to pay them. 

On 4/26/2020 at 1:24 AM, Link said:

I’m 50-50 on that short list. You’d make a better case with dank games. 

Double Dragon games are generally pretty good time. Metal Storm is underrated... though beyond that only games I can honestly Say I like more on their NES counterparts over later instalments (namely SNES) are Super Mario Bros 3, Castlevania and Mega Man games.

On 4/26/2020 at 1:44 AM, The Strangest said:

I like Kingdom Hearts 3 and Pokemon Sword. Someone come crucify me.

Never been into Kingdom Hearts but I really, really dig Pokemon Sword/Shield. Most fun I've had playing Pokemon since Gen 3 (though I am and always will be a Gen 2 fanboy, Second Gen Best Gen)

On 4/26/2020 at 12:23 AM, Link said:

The Zelda games on Gameboy and DS platforms suck. (Except ALBW, that was good.)

Super Mario 3D games are trash.

I really like Phantom Hourglass. Minish Cap is also a great time though not my favorite

I was never really into Super Mario 64. Like I don't think it's bad but much like I view Ocarina of Time it's really only great in the bubble of N64 games.

On 4/26/2020 at 4:20 AM, Tulpa said:

LJN wasn't the worst publisher on the NES. It's middle of the road, in there with Acclaim, Mindscape, Data East, and even Bandai. Some decent games, some okay games, some dreck. THQ was probably the worst licensed publisher when looking at their overall library. James Bond Jr. probably the only game they had that approaches okay, and even it had some annoying aspects.

As proven to the AVGN There are some pretty decent LJN games out there; shout outs to Maximum Carnage

On 4/26/2020 at 4:34 AM, ookii_risu said:

I dislike FF7.

You're not alone. I really can't make myself like it any more then it was an above average RPG game. FF9 was vastly superior.

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mbd39 said:

Their anti-competitive practices in the 80s were pretty reprehensible. That doesn't make me enjoy the games any less, but still.

Funny thing about that, even after learning they did it I was happy they did looking back at it being a kid at the time.  It made it very easy to get basically almost all the great games on just one system.  I wasn't going to get a second, Gameboy was it, and I ended up interfering and buying my own SNES out from my mother the day it came out.  I welcomed those practices looking back as it kept the game totals a bit lower, in many ways help bolster the quality a bit more, and it helped develop a lot of both home conversions and new franchises and kept them pretty much under one banner until the few solitary spinoffs that went to Sega in the 90s.  It just made things easier being on an allowance and a parents mercy to get all the goodies on the one system I was to have.

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

My actual unpopular opinion(s)

The best non-Mario Kart Racer was the original Crash Team Racing. Diddy Kong Racing wasn't that great imo

Apparently it'll be the unpopular opinion here if I say that I really liked the Gamecube controller lol

Burnout is the best racing game series.

3 hours ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Apparently it'll be the unpopular opinion here if I say that I really liked the Gamecube controller lol

By all accounts the GC is more popular/liked than disliked. I mean why do you think Nintendo went to all the trouble to make GC controllers (or something to that effect) for the latest Smash Bros game?  And I for one appreciate very very very very much you can use a GC controller for Mario Kart Wii.  My wife is so obsessed with this idea that a racing video game MUST have a steering wheel.  I'll pass on that silly wheel thing, both my wife and her favorite singer Carrie Underwood can Take The Wheel instead. 😄 

C'mon now you can go against the grain better than that. 😛 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesRobot said:

Burnout is the best racing game series.

Ohhh, hold on you might be on to something here! Burnout 3 Takedown and Burnout Revenge were absolutely incredible games, me and my mates played those games to death on OG XBOX! Haven't played much of any of the other Burnouts but yeah, good shout dude! 🙂

• Thanks 1