IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

7 minutes ago, Link said:

I think a save function would ruin the replayability of that game specifically.

You mean by using the whistles it leaves places unexplored to visit later?

I get that argument, but it's not how I like to play NES games.

I'm a huge Sega guy, the Genesis is my favorite console, but I have never been into the Sonic the Hedgehog games. I appreciate them as quality platformers that had a major influence on the genre and whatnot, but I just don't particularly care to play them. To this day, the only Sonic game that I enjoy at all is Sonic Spinball, and everyone says I'm crazy for liking that game. hahahaha

• Like 2

4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

A bit harsh!  My friend has loved the FF series and has played/beat them all countless times.  Ff7 is his fave and he's playing thru it and loving every bit of it so far.  So calling them 'willing suckers' is harsh.  Heck I might even get it eventually.  So uh, relax kid.

It was meant to be harsh, but I also believe it.  Keep in mind I've never loved FF7, but I don't hate it either, FF8 is garbage given the entire shake up that one had to the system.  FF7 to me from 90s to now is mediocre, and no big overhaul and pretty graphics are going to change that for me.  And it is the 'unpopular' thread and while I've seen quite a few people parrot what I've thought, I see more get angry at the sight of it like someone insulted their mother.

32 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You mean by using the whistles it leaves places unexplored to visit later?

I get that argument, but it's not how I like to play NES games.

No, not that. That’s the reasoning that a battery is merely unnecessary. I feel that a battery would be detrimental.

In Super Mario 3, you complete a stage once and that’s it. Get the card, and you’re locked out. You only get Kuribo’s shoe once. You can only kill the sun one time. Those levels are very special. So are the suits and the giant ? block that gives you three 1-up mushrooms. These are all rare moments and they’re awesome. And you experience certain levels every time you play the game.

In Super Mario save games, it’s just the opposite. The stakes are low. It doesn’t matter if you fuck up. You can play any stage over and over. But they are one and done because you finish them and save. Unless you want to collect star coins. Which is boring. They’re in every stage.

I never get to know NSMB games, because I don’t want to replay them. I know Mario 3. It’s made to learn the different worlds, and then take on in full in an epic all nighter with your best friend and a pizza or two. Sorry for your rear end, but SMB games are less fun with saving.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Link said:

It’s made to learn the different worlds, and then take on in full in an epic all nighter with your best friend and a pizza or two. Sorry for your rear end, but SMB games are less fun with saving.

Yeah, I just can't sit for two and a half hours anymore for NES games. Was hardly able to do so back then.

Doing a full Zanac run is the closest I'll get to doing a full run of a game in one shot.

Regarding those New SMB games, I can't stand the ones that you lose your shining stars on your profile just by the "Easy Block" (sorry I forget the right term and I don't feel like looking it up) merely appearing in the stage.  I wouldn't mind it at all, IF it were like the later(?) games where you only lose your shining stars if you CHOOSE to use it.  It's really aggregating to be sure it never appears and if it does appear, at least notice it so you can reset and try again.

And I think the Star Coins are pretty much the same thing as the Stars/Shines in the 3D Mario games.  It may not be necessary to beat the final boss and see the ending but of course any real gamer knows that you haven't really beaten the game unless you Catch 'Em All.

PS: These are responses to the above posts, I'm not at all claiming these are "UNpopular" opinions.

Edited by Estil

2 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Yeah, I just can't sit for two and a half hours anymore for NES games. Was hardly able to do so back then.

Doing a full Zanac run is the closest I'll get to doing a full run of a game in one shot.

That's why I like Super Mario Allstars.  I can save and come back later.  Game over and I have a checkpoint.  I've got enough going on. Don't need to add grinding out a 2 hour game all day.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

I was talking purely about Nintendo developed games.  How could I forget about Metroid and Kid Icarus!  As with Legend of Zelda I think they were originally developed for the Famicom Disk System, so those games needed saves.  Makes sense for why Zelda has one but no idea why Metroid and Kid Icarus both don't have batteries but long passwords!

Trust me, Metroid would not be the same at all without the passwords, especially the famous ones like JUSTIN BAILEY and NARPAS SWORD and those passwords that use other real words yet somehow still work (as opposed to the famous ones that were put in on purpose).

4 minutes ago, Estil said:

and those passwords that use other real words yet somehow still work

There's nothing mysterious about it, the passwords in Metroid are just to get you back to your power level and items. So some random words will often translate into legit power levels. You start in the same place every game, so unlike other games, it doesn't even need to take that into account.

3 hours ago, RH said:

GBA music sucks largely because of the AGS, supposedly. When Nintendo dropped the headphone jack, developers tried to make the audio sound good from the tiny speakers, as opposed to balancing the audio for headphones. GBA audio is notoriously horrible. I don't think this is an unpopular opinion. At least, it shouldn't be because the audio of the GBA sucked. 

Well I only use the Game Boy Player (and its stereo sound which you could get from the very start with the original GB and later Super Game Boy) so the sound part is not quite as much an issue but yeah that and especially the graphics (as far as the SNES ports go) it's nowhere near as good as the SNES (remember how I mentioned the AVGN part where it beat even the 32X?).  I remember how so disappointed I was that most of the non-Mario, non-Final Fantasy ports/remakes of SNES on the GBA, for whatever reason, looked a lot WORSE than the SNES originals.  I mean I did later play the GBA Donkey Kong Countries to experience them and they do offer some new bonus goodies to find, but boy are the graphics super disappointing.

And the GBA is supposed to allegedly be a "32-bit" handheld?

Edited by Estil

5 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

There's nothing mysterious about it, the passwords in Metroid are just to get you back to your power level and items. So some random words will often translate into legit power levels. You start in the same place every game, so unlike other games, it doesn't even need to take that into account.

But isn't it fun how even now new ones are still being found?

Just now, Estil said:

But isn't it fun how even now new ones are still being found?

I guess. It's all just variations on what you start out with.

I guess there are some that transport you to the other elevators, too.

I do like the one that is something like "Mother brain fuckin toast."

8 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I guess. It's all just variations on what you start out with.

I guess there are some that transport you to the other elevators, too.

I do like the one that is something like "Mother brain fuckin toast."

Especially if she is indeed already beaten!  I mean I do remember there's at least password where you go in Tourian, MB is gone and replaced by that "Time Bomb Set!" message...yet the timer doesn't start! 

I think you can even have a password where you can start in Tourian with no Morph Ball, Kraid and/or Ridley NOT defeated, no more than one missile tank, and (as an added optional bonus), no ice beam or bombs.  Anyone wanna take a guess what makes this setup, eh...interesting? 😄 

Edited by Estil

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

It was meant to be harsh, but I also believe it.  Keep in mind I've never loved FF7, but I don't hate it either, FF8 is garbage given the entire shake up that one had to the system.  FF7 to me from 90s to now is mediocre, and no big overhaul and pretty graphics are going to change that for me.  And it is the 'unpopular' thread and while I've seen quite a few people parrot what I've thought, I see more get angry at the sight of it like someone insulted their mother.

Well I tried to warn everyone in the OP that this is meant to be UNpopular views! 😛  I hope I'm wrong but I'm guessing most FF gamers back when FF8 actually came out didn't mind at all the eh, "different" rules and had no trouble understanding and adjusting to them.  That and especially not being able to get into Pokemon (G1; I did manage to get past the 4th Gym Master but I haven't picked it back up in a few months) nearly as much as I should (should I try the GBA remakes?) makes feel like a stupid incompetent gamer 😞 

I mean for Pete's sake kids (which I'm sure they and teens were the VAST majority of FF8 players back then as well) in the late 90s had no trouble keeping up with all the different Pokemon rules and having the patience needed to level up so many Pokemon (it's a lot different than having only a small handful of characters to level up like in a more traditional RPG).  And I bet the vast majority of those did not own Super Game Boys so they also had no choice but to do all that in b/w or even "creamed spinach color".

I mean, all I want is to experience video gaming history... 😞 

Edited by Estil

Dreamcast sucks, wasn't that revolutionary: 

Has one of the worst modern controllers ever, can't play beat em ups or fighters with it cause that dpad is so bad it could be used as a cross in a church.  Analog isn't great, has no rubbery protection in it. No right analog, it was a modern console without a means to properly control a camera in a game, making some games really crappy with their awful cameras (sonic adventure games for example). 
Triggers were good for racing games but horrible for arcade games. You actually needed to buy an arcade stick to get the most out of a dreamcast. 
Build quality wasn't great (Saturn was better), still ok, but my God that laser is crap, would die in like 3-7 years and you can't find decent replacements for it.
Makes a lot of noise, sure maybe some of you like it, but even ps2 CD games didn't make that much of a noise. 
GD-ROMs were also crap, I've never seen any other type of disc media more prone to disc rot. 
Not that many great games, sure it had decent Sega titles (but no panzer dragoons, no shining forces, etc), Capcom titles too, but it lacked RPGs, and it failed against Sony right when the ps2 had mostly crap games (2000-2001 ps2 titles sucked in general).
No DVD support. 
Dreamcast was costly to make compared to Saturn, which basically killed Sega as a hardware company (Saturn also had a ton more games in Japan that enabled a bit of profit). Dreamcast fared terribly in all regions. Wasn't the 32x, Sega CD, Saturn that killed Sega, it was the Dreamcast. 
Piracy protection was a joke. 

You could get most of the games that mattered on Gamecube, PS2, Xbox. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, NierAutomata said:

Wasn't the 32x, Sega CD, Saturn that killed Sega, it was the Dreamcast. 

Got me right in the fan boy feels with this one. 

Dreamcast was my childhood console. I remember playing Smash Bros one day and Soul Calibur the next and never looked back at the N64. I played 2K online with my friends every day for a year. It was a PC on TV. I had the mouse and keyboard for it. 

Im like a friend that can accept their friend is a murderer 😭

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Got me right in the fan boy feels with this one. 

Dreamcast was my childhood console. I remember playing Smash Bros one day and Soul Calibur the next and never looked back at the N64. I played 2K online with my friends every day for a year. It was a PC on TV. I had the mouse and keyboard for it. 

Im like a friend that can accept their friend is a murderer 😭

I loved the Dreamcast. As a kid with no income, it didn't matter if there were only 50 good games in the entire library; I was never going to own more than ten games total. And the games I did own were beautiful. Sonic Adventure, NFL 2K, Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Crazy Taxi. I will always cherish my Dreamcast. I have no such love for the PS2, despite the endless depth of it's library. So much nostalgia. Some day I need to go after a Dreamcast set.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Link said:

No, not that. That’s the reasoning that a battery is merely unnecessary. I feel that a battery would be detrimental.

In Super Mario 3, you complete a stage once and that’s it. Get the card, and you’re locked out. You only get Kuribo’s shoe once. You can only kill the sun one time. Those levels are very special. So are the suits and the giant ? block that gives you three 1-up mushrooms. These are all rare moments and they’re awesome. And you experience certain levels every time you play the game.

In Super Mario save games, it’s just the opposite. The stakes are low. It doesn’t matter if you fuck up. You can play any stage over and over. But they are one and done because you finish them and save. Unless you want to collect star coins. Which is boring. They’re in every stage.

I never get to know NSMB games, because I don’t want to replay them. I know Mario 3. It’s made to learn the different worlds, and then take on in full in an epic all nighter with your best friend and a pizza or two. Sorry for your rear end, but SMB games are less fun with saving.

These just seem like weak excuses for Nintendo cheaping out and not adding battery save.

1. Nobody would be forced to use saves. If you prefer to not save then don't. But it's a nice feature for those who want it.

2. Battery save shouldn't hurt a game's replay value. I've replayed Donkey Kong Country numerous times because it keeps being fun.

3. It wouldn't have to let you save after every level.  Maybe only after completing an entire world or only at rare save points.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Don’t interpret this as me not liking them as a company, because I do very much like them, but Nintendo has some blatantly ass backwards ways of doing things and have had anti-consumer practices since day 1.

Their anti-competitive practices in the 80s were pretty reprehensible. That doesn't make me enjoy the games any less, but still.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Don’t interpret this as me not liking them as a company, because I do very much like them, but Nintendo has some blatantly ass backwards ways of doing things and have had anti-consumer practices since day 1.

I don't like how they are such Copyright Nazis about things 😞  I mean just to really rub it in, in the Super Mario RPG's manual the piracy warning page shows that Mario will be really mad at you for copying their floppies, eh cartridges!!