IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

While virtually everything about DKC2 is better than the original (more creative stages, tighter control, better graphics/music/bosses/etc.), for some reason, I find that the flow the game more difficult to stick through to the end. It may also be down to the obnoxious difficulty of some of the later stages, which can feel unfair at times.

As such, I find that I end up playing DKC1 far more often than the sequel, as it feels more accessible somehow. Some of that is down to nostalgia and familiarity, I'm sure.

And I really tried to get behind DKL1 but I simply couldn't. The cropped screen and janky controls really killed my buzz. I was tolerating it until I hit a stage with a platforming section that literally ate all my lives. It had to do with the weird jumping arc and how the Kongs plummet like a stone near the end of the jump. I gave up and haven't gone back yet. Maybe one day I'll try it again but I'm not holding out much hope that it will change my mind.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Dr. Mario can suck it.

I’m trying once again to like it but I’m so bad at it.

My first high school girlfriend and I used to play Dr. Mario on the Wii back in the day. I was bad, she was good at it, so I often lost. Well my older brother played the NES game when he was a kid, and one day he was visiting when she and I were playing Dr. Mario. He was like “Yeah I used to play the original back in the day” and my girlfriend wanted to play against him. She was like “I’m really good!”

He smoked her. I mean absolutely annihilated her. He hadn’t played in years but it came back to him like riding a bike. He felt bad and after she left he was like “She told me she was really good...?”

• Haha 1

My three favorite 3D sonic games are as follows: Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic 06, and Sanicball. I think 3D Blast is closest to what a 3D Sonic "should" be (though ideally it would play much more like a 2D sonic game than the butter-sliding isometric experience we got). I think Sanicball is the closest any game has gotten to recreating the gameplay intention and experience of playing Sonic 1 in 3D, and I think Sonic 06 is just the funniest damn game ever made. It's an amazing explosion of failure, and I love every minute of it. It's the kind of game I can put in whenever I want to put a smile on my face.

I think 3D Zelda basically fell off the wagon after Ocarina of Time. Majora was too much character focus, Wind Waker had sailing to pad out the void of actual things to play, Twlight was just an edgy4teens version of Ocarina with even more padding, Skyward Sword was like a proto-BotW with tons of problems from the previous games plus new ones added in, and BotW is not bad, per say, but gets old really fast due to the weapon durability, the lack of enemy variety, and the relatively unimpressive nature of gameplay. Feels like they got it right just that one time and will probably never catch the knack again.

Also, I don't care much for link to the past and would definitely replay zelda 1 or 2 over LttP.

54 minutes ago, koifish said:

I think 3D Zelda basically fell off the wagon after Ocarina of Time.

While we're riding the "unpopular Zelda opinions" train:

While I respected Ocarina of Time for what it represented, I never liked the game as much as everyone else seemed to. Honestly, it might be my least favorite (of those I've played).

The order of Zelda awesomeness goes:

LttP -> BotW -> Awakening -> LBW -> Zelda I -> Wind Waker -> Minish Cap -> Zelda II -> Ocarina

Editorials Team · Posted

I'm not crazy about Ocarina either actually. I guess I like that it's so commonly held as such a good game, because it helps boost the N64's reputation 😄 but when I played it as a kid I kinda lost interest partway through, and only in college did I finally decide that I should finally finish my save file. There's a lot of stuff in the overworld that I find a bit tedious, although I do like the dungeons.

I enjoyed Majora more than Ocarina. Wind Waker is a winner, Twilight gets points for its atmosphere and surprisingly dark moments, I started Skyward and still haven't finished it. I absolutely love BOTW.

9 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

While I respected Ocarina of Time for what it represented, I never liked the game as much as everyone else seemed to. Honestly, it might be my least favorite (of those I've played).

LttP -> BotW -> Awakening -> LBW -> Zelda I -> Wind Waker -> Minish Cap -> Zelda II -> Ocarina

I think my feeling about link to the past is similar. It set the standards for the series going forward, but I don't think it's all that fun to play. Hard to explain why though. I think I am bored by it; Zelda 1 and 2 feel more action-oriented and dungeon-oriented. Something about LttP just feels really slow by comparison.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:59 AM, Sumez said:

DKC1 is hardly a good game. Both 2 and 3 are much better.
2 especially is brilliant, it's really night and day.

I guess you can file that as my "unpopular" opinion, but I'd think it should take little more than making someone replay them back-to-back to convince them. 😛 Everything that was wrong in the first game was fixed for the sequel, so obviously the developers at least were aware of it.

What's wrong with DKC?

10 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

Where's Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword?  Regardless, man, that's still some serious shade on OOT.  How can it be above Zelda II???? I'm not saying it should be a top 2-3 for everyone, but dead last?  I... I can't calculate that one.

15 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

What's wrong with DKC?

I don't know what's with everyone hating on ANY of the DKC games. Those three games are basically perfect to me. I didn't even know their was a third game until 2011 and it became a favorite along with the other two. The only thing thing I would say needs improvement is the music in DKC3. It's by no means bad but just not as iconic as the first two. I hold all three of them at the same very high level.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Webhead123 said:

While virtually everything about DKC2 is better than the original (more creative stages, tighter control, better graphics/music/bosses/etc.), for some reason, I find that the flow the game more difficult to stick through to the end. It may also be down to the obnoxious difficulty of some of the later stages, which can feel unfair at times.

As such, I find that I end up playing DKC1 far more often than the sequel, as it feels more accessible somehow. Some of that is down to nostalgia and familiarity, I'm sure.

And I really tried to get behind DKL1 but I simply couldn't. The cropped screen and janky controls really killed my buzz. I was tolerating it until I hit a stage with a platforming section that literally ate all my lives. It had to do with the weird jumping arc and how the Kongs plummet like a stone near the end of the jump. I gave up and haven't gone back yet. Maybe one day I'll try it again but I'm not holding out much hope that it will change my mind.

Thank you. This is exactly how I feel. For me the difficulty of DKC1 is just right, and it's the most fun for me to replay.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RH said:

Where's Majora's Mask and Skyward Sword?  Regardless, man, that's still some serious shade on OOT.  How can it be above Zelda II???? I'm not saying it should be a top 2-3 for everyone, but dead last?  I... I can't calculate that one.

I haven't played them. I also haven't played Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, Four Swords or more than an hour of Twilight Princess and the Oracle games. Hence, I didn't rank them.

And call it another unpopular opinion...but I actually kinda like Zelda II. Yes, it's the black sheep of the family but once I took the time to learn its systems and meet the game on its own terms...I actually kinda dig it. I was tempted to rank it even above Minish Cap but, for completely arbitrary reasons, I didn't.

I don't mean to imply that I think Ocarina is objectively (or even subjectively) a bad game...but I find that (of the Zelda titles I have played) it is the one I least enjoy spending time with. I have more fun returning to Zelda II than Ocarina.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

I didn't get to play Zelda II until I got it on my 3DS for the Ambassador program.  I played it, maybe, 1/3 of the way through.  It was ok, but it got to be do grindy and the random buff at the time of level-up didn't work well for me.  I kept having bad luck and not getting the stats I felt I needed.

Dang cave I couldn't pass... grrrr.

6 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn't get to play Zelda II until I got it on my 3DS for the Ambassador program.  I played it, maybe, 1/3 of the way through.  It was ok, but it got to be do grindy and the random buff at the time of level-up didn't work well for me.  I kept having bad luck and not getting the stats I felt I needed.

Yes. You can't approach Zelda II the way you would approach any other game in the series. That wild disparity is what really kept it from fully clicking with me when I was younger. But spend a little time reading up on how the various new systems work and the game becomes WAY more approachable. It's still grindy in places and far from perfect but if you front-load some of that grind (before you get to the dreaded Death Mountain), the game becomes actually quite enjoyable. I dare say it's a game that I have no qualms about recommending be played with a guide or at least a tips-sheet. There is some "NES cryptic" about the game that can be annoying but otherwise it's much better than it usually gets credit for.

Edited by Webhead123

3 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

What's wrong with DKC?

For me:

1) It's boringly repetitive.

2) The only sane way to get 100% is to use a map / walkthrough. Otherwise you can't know from which random cliff you need to commit suicide in order to reach the secret part.

3) The collision detection is bad. Normally this is something you should get used after playing for some time. But the collision detection (especially for Donkey) is so bad I couldn't get used it.

Edited by sg17
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sg17 said:

For me:

2) The only sane way to get 100% is to use a map / walkthrough. Otherwise you can't know from which random cliff you need to commit suicide in order to reach the secret part.

Admittedly, I don't remember all of the secrets, having not played the game extensively in probably 20+ years -- but my friends and I worked out 101% by ourselves "in the old days", and it was nowhere near as tedious as finding everything, unassisted, in the original Legend of Zelda.

You have the "!" notifier of whether you've fully cleared a level, or not. And that more-or-less cuts you down to keeping an eye out for suspicious pits (that usually have a visible barrel rim or some other visual cue like bananas) and maybe making a pacifist run with a barrel in hand trying to break walls.

It definitely felt like an accomplishment as a kid, though.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RH said:

What are you talking about with "random buffs"?  You get to pick what you can currently "afford" with your EXP, or you can save up for something you can't "afford" yet. (i.e. you typically want to front-load some attack power, for instance, to be much better equipped against Iron Knuckles)