Jump to content
IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ever since you posted this I've been haunted by what a "Waluionkey Kong" (Wonkey Kong?) would even look like. I find the modern Donkey Kong design unappealing as-is, so I couldn't help but combine it

Lol that's hilarious. -CasualCart  

Posted Images

Some of you may know i'm not big into SNES cuz I didn't grow up with it.  Not hating on it cuz there are tons of great games for it.  I just started to play some more.  Worked thru Link to the Past and thought it was great.  So trying Super Mario World.

Lovely game but I HATE the physics.  Is it just me but compared to the NES Mario games, SMW Mario feels much lighter and slipperier? I often find myself dying in ways I never would in SMB 1 2 or 3 by under shooting or over shooting something and landing in a pit or in the face of an enemy etc.  It makes the game way more frustrating in a game thats actually much easier conceptually than the other 3.  FWIW I just got to Chocolate Island 1 and found every secret level to that point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, guitarzombie said:

Some of you may know i'm not big into SNES cuz I didn't grow up with it.  Not hating on it cuz there are tons of great games for it.  I just started to play some more.  Worked thru Link to the Past and thought it was great.  So trying Super Mario World.

Lovely game but I HATE the physics.  Is it just me but compared to the NES Mario games, SMW Mario feels much lighter and slipperier? I often find myself dying in ways I never would in SMB 1 2 or 3 by under shooting or over shooting something and landing in a pit or in the face of an enemy etc.  It makes the game way more frustrating in a game thats actually much easier conceptually than the other 3.  FWIW I just got to Chocolate Island 1 and found every secret level to that point. 

SMW definitely can feel pretty floaty. Mario 3 was the perfect platforming feel, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Some of you may know i'm not big into SNES cuz I didn't grow up with it.  Not hating on it cuz there are tons of great games for it.  I just started to play some more.  Worked thru Link to the Past and thought it was great.  So trying Super Mario World.

Lovely game but I HATE the physics.  Is it just me but compared to the NES Mario games, SMW Mario feels much lighter and slipperier? I often find myself dying in ways I never would in SMB 1 2 or 3 by under shooting or over shooting something and landing in a pit or in the face of an enemy etc.  It makes the game way more frustrating in a game thats actually much easier conceptually than the other 3.  FWIW I just got to Chocolate Island 1 and found every secret level to that point. 

I kinda feel the same way about Genesis (besides Sonic); I really want to be as into it as the SNES but like you said, if you grow up with the NES/SNES rather than the GEN (or vice versa), you're right it's just not the same.

Edited by Estil
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Estil said:

I kinda feel the same way about Genesis (besides Sonic); I really want to be as into it as the SNES but like you said, if you grow up with the NES/SNES rather than the GEN (or vice versa), you're right it's just not the same.

Yeah I have to agree.  Im much worse at SNES games because theyre a bit more complex.  I have a lot of difficulty handling the cape because its not exactly like the racoon suit in SMB 3 which IMO was much more intuitive.  I ended up getting to the Special Road and just have bowser left.  It certainly is easier because of all the things you can do, like exiting levels or the top secret level to stock up on lives.  I don't like that you can't save at any point, but only after certain parts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, guitarzombie said:

Yeah I have to agree.  Im much worse at SNES games because theyre a bit more complex.  I have a lot of difficulty handling the cape because its not exactly like the racoon suit in SMB 3 which IMO was much more intuitive.  I ended up getting to the Special Road and just have bowser left.  It certainly is easier because of all the things you can do, like exiting levels or the top secret level to stock up on lives.  I don't like that you can't save at any point, but only after certain parts.

You can only save after Castles, Switch Level things that turn on the colored blocks, and Ghost Houses I believe. You can reenter crushed castles with a button combo I don't remember off the top of my head.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

I can't believe I forgot this one; I like having strategery (as Rush Limbaugh likes to say 😄 ) guides (the real ones, the book kind) with my games because they make great compaion collectibles with your games.  See I remember pre-YouTube (late 90s/early 00s) that text only guides like the ones at GameFAQs were expected to totally "kill" the need for traditional strategery guides.

What, people didn't appreciate having actual maps/pictures/charts/etc? 😞  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 weeks later...
2 hours ago, croagunk said:

I’m not really into PC gaming/online gaming.

Not sure if this is necessarily unpopular or not, but I prefer cartridges to discs. I was so excited to find out that the Switch uses game cards.

Mostly agree, but I wouldn't dare lump PC gaming with the / for online gaming.  They're as much independent as they are not just as with consoles.  Since the PS3/360 dropped, the last decade has had an increasing amount now nearly all third party console games hit the PC. They due to Windows(MS) tend to have prompts and setup preferring the USB PC version of the 360 controller too.  You can get the console experience without the expensive walled garden to play it, so if you do like console gaming, you should like PC gaming.  it's not as it was in the 90s and the 00s where you had some very distinct genres on PC or console, but not overlapping, or minimally at best and usually not done well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Mostly agree, but I wouldn't dare lump PC gaming with the / for online gaming.  They're as much independent as they are not just as with consoles.  Since the PS3/360 dropped, the last decade has had an increasing amount now nearly all third party console games hit the PC. They due to Windows(MS) tend to have prompts and setup preferring the USB PC version of the 360 controller too.  You can get the console experience without the expensive walled garden to play it, so if you do like console gaming, you should like PC gaming.  it's not as it was in the 90s and the 00s where you had some very distinct genres on PC or console, but not overlapping, or minimally at best and usually not done well.

You’re right. Didn’t mean to lump them together. Playing console and PC games today isn’t that different, I just prefer having a console. It keeps my computer time more productive, lol.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, croagunk said:

Not sure if this is necessarily unpopular or not, but I prefer cartridges to discs. I was so excited to find out that the Switch uses game cards.

It would be very strange to prefer mechanical media (discs) to solid state storage (carts).

I think the only advantages for discs are on a marketing level. They are much cheaper to produce in relation to how much you can fit on them, and that's why they've stayed around for physical media pretty much since they were introduced.

As a consumer there is definitely no reason to prefer them. They are guaranteed to have a shorter lifespan (but hopefully not as short as some people have been assuming), they are inherently slow, and there's always a lot of uncertainties and things that can go wrong when reading data from them.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I prefer cartridges to discs as well, but there are other downsides to them.  Because they are more expensive to produce, the game publishers ultimately look for ways to cut costs, and we end up with game "collections" that only have one game on the cart and the rest end up being digital downloads.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's only really true for the Switch, since no console that's ever used cartridge based games have even had the option for digital downloads. 🙂

Of course, that's a pretty bad thing, but again this is a marketing approach, and not the fault of the solid state media itself I'd say. I consider them separate issues. 🙂 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sumez said:

That's only really true for the Switch, since no console that's ever used cartridge based games have even had the option for digital downloads. 🙂

Of course, that's a pretty bad thing, but again this is a marketing approach, and not the fault of the solid state media itself I'd say. I consider them separate issues. 🙂 

The Atari 2600 was the first console to have digital downloads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameLine

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite the fact that it received mediocre ratings, has some framerate issues, and very few added features, Mega Man 64 is actually a good game. I actually kind of like it more than Mega Man Legends because it saves your progress much faster (thanks to the Battery saves) and the default control setting has you turn with the Control Stick rather than the L and R buttons. The Rumble Pak doesn't add much or make the game more enjoyable, but the option to use it is there in case you want to feel MegaMan's pain. 

I know some people like the game, but usually it's just the PlayStation version that gets praise. So I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion: Mega Man 64 is a good game.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Despite the fact that it received mediocre ratings, has some framerate issues, and very few added features, Mega Man 64 is actually a good game. I actually kind of like it more than Mega Man Legends because it saves your progress much faster (thanks to the Battery saves) and the default control setting has you turn with the Control Stick rather than the L and R buttons. The Rumble Pak doesn't add much or make the game more enjoyable, but the option to use it is there in case you want to feel MegaMan's pain. 

I know some people like the game, but usually it's just the PlayStation version that gets praise. So I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion: Mega Man 64 is a good game.

I second this.  I've had both, other than the tinny compressed speech on the N64 one, it's the better game.  They took some criticisms and issues (control, camera, tight spaces, etc) they felt the game had on PS1 and attempted to correct a few things.  The base game is just better there, if you don't get all hung up on the verbalized audio.  MM64 is a great game, and technically on more points to check off, the superior one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's an unpopular opinion for you:

I get a strange, relaxing sort of enjoyment from playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on NES and I don't think the game is as terrible as its reputation.

A few years ago, I documented the experience of my journey to finishing the game on the old NintendoAge site (now lost to time 😪). My reflections on my time, once completed, were surprisingly positive. I won't say that the game is some kind of "hidden gem" or anything like that. It is deeply flawed and can be more than a little frustrating at times. But I do not AT ALL regret the time I spent with it and it now has a special sort of place in my heart. The little game that everyone considered a waste of time was secretly just a little bit cooler than it was made out to be.

Edited by Webhead123
Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't get into Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I got myself an N64 with both games when I was in high school, but for whatever reason I just couldn't sink my teeth into them.

In fact, I was so unimpressed that I sold that Nintendo 64 shortly after and never looked back.

A big factor for my lukewarm attitude toward Mario 64 was likely because my first 3D-Mario experience was Super Mario Galaxy, which just felt so much more refined to me.

-CasualCart

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...