IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Mostly agree, but I wouldn't dare lump PC gaming with the / for online gaming.  They're as much independent as they are not just as with consoles.  Since the PS3/360 dropped, the last decade has had an increasing amount now nearly all third party console games hit the PC. They due to Windows(MS) tend to have prompts and setup preferring the USB PC version of the 360 controller too.  You can get the console experience without the expensive walled garden to play it, so if you do like console gaming, you should like PC gaming.  it's not as it was in the 90s and the 00s where you had some very distinct genres on PC or console, but not overlapping, or minimally at best and usually not done well.

You’re right. Didn’t mean to lump them together. Playing console and PC games today isn’t that different, I just prefer having a console. It keeps my computer time more productive, lol.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2020 at 12:01 AM, croagunk said:

Not sure if this is necessarily unpopular or not, but I prefer cartridges to discs. I was so excited to find out that the Switch uses game cards.

It would be very strange to prefer mechanical media (discs) to solid state storage (carts).

I think the only advantages for discs are on a marketing level. They are much cheaper to produce in relation to how much you can fit on them, and that's why they've stayed around for physical media pretty much since they were introduced.

As a consumer there is definitely no reason to prefer them. They are guaranteed to have a shorter lifespan (but hopefully not as short as some people have been assuming), they are inherently slow, and there's always a lot of uncertainties and things that can go wrong when reading data from them.

• Like 1

I prefer cartridges to discs as well, but there are other downsides to them.  Because they are more expensive to produce, the game publishers ultimately look for ways to cut costs, and we end up with game "collections" that only have one game on the cart and the rest end up being digital downloads.  

That's only really true for the Switch, since no console that's ever used cartridge based games have even had the option for digital downloads. 🙂

Of course, that's a pretty bad thing, but again this is a marketing approach, and not the fault of the solid state media itself I'd say. I consider them separate issues. 🙂 

1 hour ago, Sumez said:

That's only really true for the Switch, since no console that's ever used cartridge based games have even had the option for digital downloads. 🙂

Of course, that's a pretty bad thing, but again this is a marketing approach, and not the fault of the solid state media itself I'd say. I consider them separate issues. 🙂 

The Atari 2600 was the first console to have digital downloads.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GameLine

Despite the fact that it received mediocre ratings, has some framerate issues, and very few added features, Mega Man 64 is actually a good game. I actually kind of like it more than Mega Man Legends because it saves your progress much faster (thanks to the Battery saves) and the default control setting has you turn with the Control Stick rather than the L and R buttons. The Rumble Pak doesn't add much or make the game more enjoyable, but the option to use it is there in case you want to feel MegaMan's pain. 

I know some people like the game, but usually it's just the PlayStation version that gets praise. So I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion: Mega Man 64 is a good game.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Despite the fact that it received mediocre ratings, has some framerate issues, and very few added features, Mega Man 64 is actually a good game. I actually kind of like it more than Mega Man Legends because it saves your progress much faster (thanks to the Battery saves) and the default control setting has you turn with the Control Stick rather than the L and R buttons. The Rumble Pak doesn't add much or make the game more enjoyable, but the option to use it is there in case you want to feel MegaMan's pain. 

I know some people like the game, but usually it's just the PlayStation version that gets praise. So I believe this is somewhat of an unpopular opinion: Mega Man 64 is a good game.

I second this.  I've had both, other than the tinny compressed speech on the N64 one, it's the better game.  They took some criticisms and issues (control, camera, tight spaces, etc) they felt the game had on PS1 and attempted to correct a few things.  The base game is just better there, if you don't get all hung up on the verbalized audio.  MM64 is a great game, and technically on more points to check off, the superior one.

Here's an unpopular opinion for you:

I get a strange, relaxing sort of enjoyment from playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on NES and I don't think the game is as terrible as its reputation.

A few years ago, I documented the experience of my journey to finishing the game on the old NintendoAge site (now lost to time 😪). My reflections on my time, once completed, were surprisingly positive. I won't say that the game is some kind of "hidden gem" or anything like that. It is deeply flawed and can be more than a little frustrating at times. But I do not AT ALL regret the time I spent with it and it now has a special sort of place in my heart. The little game that everyone considered a waste of time was secretly just a little bit cooler than it was made out to be.

Edited by Webhead123

Graphics Team · Posted

I couldn't get into Super Mario 64 or Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I got myself an N64 with both games when I was in high school, but for whatever reason I just couldn't sink my teeth into them.

In fact, I was so unimpressed that I sold that Nintendo 64 shortly after and never looked back.

A big factor for my lukewarm attitude toward Mario 64 was likely because my first 3D-Mario experience was Super Mario Galaxy, which just felt so much more refined to me.

-CasualCart

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That's because he hasn't had a major role in a mainline Mario series game since Mario World. I don't think that's an unpopular opinion as much as it's just an unfortunate reality. 

Sunshine, Galaxy 2? I didn't say a main role just him having a role

Edited by Nintegageo

On 11/18/2020 at 8:25 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

I actually really like the "death" mechanic in NES Jekyll & Hyde and haven't seen anything that unique in a long time.  It's an interesting game that actually gets easier to avoid a Game Over the further you get into it.  So did you beat it with Hyde and get the "true" ending?

Just the Hyde ending for my playthroughs thus far but I've been tempted to try for Jekyll's ending.

Bilingual covers and French Manuals are actually sometimes interesting. One example is Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow:

IMG_5317.thumb.JPG.461f708fb94902a7deb1d5d6359abe29.JPG

Look at the cover for the French Manual. That's the same picture as PAL copies of Pandora Tomorrow.

Another example is the bilingual cover for Mega Man Anniversary Collection:

IMG_5336.thumb.JPG.835af5ac7dabf1c5ac319eb7bb2a2a2e.JPG

On the bilingual cover, there is a "10 Games in 1" icon instead of Dr. Wily (yes, I know some English covers have the 10 in 1 icon as well).

Then there are the booklets that are basically bilingual covers and French Manuals in one:

IMG_5348.thumb.JPG.1e05e5f284293b11b0eafb75c1275ffa.JPG

IMG_5355.thumb.JPG.6f795030d53acb85561943ecf3d7674a.JPG

On 11/18/2020 at 12:20 PM, Webhead123 said:

Here's an unpopular opinion for you:

I get a strange, relaxing sort of enjoyment from playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on NES and I don't think the game is as terrible as its reputation.

I think the main hit against it is that it's unlike any other game on the NES, so most people don't know what to do. It's also not particularly faithful to the original story. 😛 But it is an interesting game.

I will say the Hyde portion of the game is a lot more fun than the Jekyll portion, especially in the later levels when the townspeople bum rush you (particularly near doors.) As Hyde you can fight back and strategize. As Jekyll you're nearly helpless.

I think the Famicom version has more varied levels, and has some funny moments (like the two women arguing from the windows.)

Edited by Tulpa

• 2 weeks later...

I just really enjoyed the world map and the variety in levels, same as with 1. 2's pirate theme and how it was portrayed was super dark but not in a cool spooky way. My main issue with the game is why Kiddie Kong? It should have been Donkey and Dixie rescuing Diddy in this one. Reminding people whose the real Kong King. Each is a great game.

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

I just really enjoyed the world map and the variety in levels, same as with 1. 2's pirate theme and how it was portrayed was super dark but not in a cool spooky way. My main issue with the game is why Kiddie Kong? It should have been Donkey and Dixie rescuing Diddy in this one. Reminding people whose the real Kong King. Each is a great game.

Because it's so funny that when he loses a "life" he throws a temper tantrum! 😄  Definitely much better than when it happens to Dixie and you have to see a poor little girl cry 😞  Another neat/creative loss of "life" sort of deal is when in the Home Alone games, Kevin does that classic "AUGHH!!!" thing 😄 

Home_alone_(NES)-Oh_no.png

I get the feeling that I'm in the minority when I say...I much prefer the original, more purposeful cadence and rhythm of classic Street Fighter II over any of the "turbo speed" settings of later entries. There's something so much more methodical and strategic about playing SFII at default speed, whereas making the game faster always felt like it just turned it into a button-mash.

Because of that and because I always felt the colors, animations and voice samples were much better, I've always preferred the original SNES release to the Turbo or Super releases on the system.

Another related unpopular opinion: the SNES controller is superior to the GEN 6-button pad for SFII. Having only one thumb to have to manage all 6 attack buttons is not as great as it might seem at first. While not perfect, the shoulders buttons are a life saver by comparison.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Webhead123 said:

I get the feeling that I'm in the minority when I say...I much prefer the original, more purposeful cadence and rhythm of classic Street Fighter II over any of the "turbo speed" settings of later entries. There's something so much more methodical and strategic about playing SFII at default speed, whereas making the game faster always felt like it just turned it into a button-mash.

Because of that and because I always felt the colors, animations and voice samples were much better, I've always preferred the original SNES release to the Turbo or Super releases on the system.

Another related unpopular opinion: the SNES controller is superior to the GEN 6-button pad for SFII. Having only one thumb to have to manage all 6 attack buttons is not as great as it might seem at first. While not perfect, the shoulders buttons are a life saver by comparison.

I agree with you entirely about SFII, Turbo and the rest were just too fast for the sake of being fast.  It didn't help make the game more methodical or tactical in the approach where you'd have to really even in a brief battle have to think it out.  It was just well as they coined it, too turbo and too hyper.

And screw the genesis controller, the SNES layout was always superior.  And you said exactly why, and for the games that needed less than 6 or had rarer use of the 5th and 6th it just felt more right having it up there on top and not on the face.  In some games, it even became vital, and wouldn't work at all on Genesis, such as the use of hard turns and strafes (F-Zero, etc.)  Having six in a row where you're gripping is a detriment, but if you're on finger tips like a joystick then it's a benefit.

DKC1 is hardly a good game. Both 2 and 3 are much better.
2 especially is brilliant, it's really night and day.

I guess you can file that as my "unpopular" opinion, but I'd think it should take little more than making someone replay them back-to-back to convince them. 😛 Everything that was wrong in the first game was fixed for the sequel, so obviously the developers at least were aware of it.

Edited by Sumez