IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

Editorials Team · Posted

Oh, I've got one.  Judging by the feedback I've received from my rankings, my sentiments that the SNES wrestling games are mostly "stupid garbage" is an unpopular one.

Presumably because people who grew up watching and playing that shit cannot admit it to themselves 😏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh, I've got one.  Judging by the feedback I've received from my rankings, my sentiments that the SNES wrestling games are mostly "stupid garbage" is an unpopular one.

Presumably because people who grew up watching and playing that shit cannot admit it to themselves 😏

I've found that some variation of this is true for 95% of the stuff we late-30 and older adults are nostalgic for from our childhoods.

Here's mine: The Sega 32X is actually pretty cool.

While it does have a tiny library, I'd say it has more good games than bad ones, which is pretty incredible, in my opinion. It seems to me that most of the games never tried to do more than the console could realistically handle and end up running pretty well, even the 3d games. It has a bunch of really good arcade ports and a handful of nice original titles as well. Yeah, the 32X probably should have never existed, but it does and I'm glad.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2020 at 6:45 PM, BouncekDeLemos said:

Haven't seen the Vita library much. I'm sure it has it's share of censorship and unrealeases over to the west due to Sony's strict guidelines. 

Those guidelines were put into effect well after the Vita was dead in the West. That said, there are a number of games on vita basically targeted toward horny otaku. Akiba's Strip, Omega Labyrinth, and Moero Chronicle come to mind, as well as the Senran Kagura games and some elements of Hyperdimension Neptunia. I'm pretty sure there were more that I'm just not thinking of or that I'm not familiar with. Still, seems like there were plenty to choose from. The spiritual successor seems to be those gacha phone games where you roll the dice for sexy jpegs.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, cj_robot said:

While it does have a tiny library, I'd say it has more good games than bad ones, which is pretty incredible, in my opinion. It seems to me that most of the games never tried to do more than the console could realistically handle and end up running pretty well, even the 3d games. It has a bunch of really good arcade ports and a handful of nice original titles as well. Yeah, the 32X probably should have never existed, but it does and I'm glad.

I feel similarly about the virtual boy. It has a number of fun games and it has a great controller, plus for a monochrome system the graphics are still great, way better than the GBA and even matching DS in some respects.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:41 PM, cj_robot said:

I agree, possibly as a way to justify owing one back in 1996. Star Wars Arcade, Virtua Racing and Mortal Kombat II were all solid titles. Like you mentioned, given the small library, the games were pretty good.

Administrator · Posted
On 8/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

WWF Royal Rumble and Raw are very enjoyable, at least with the Royal Rumble mode.   Nothing like hucking everybody over the top rope!

On 8/20/2020 at 1:59 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

I've been meaning to work on those for the SNES list actually.

Editorials Team · Posted
22 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I finished NBA Hangtime and you didn't mark it down. I'll probably get to work on the wrestling games eventually.

Me at night after kids are in bed:

• Build shelves
  • Play SNES
  • Write about SNES
  • Make crappy website slightly less crappy
  • Play Switch
  • Read
  • Watch something
  • Create debate thread(s) if necessary
  • Moderate reddit
  • Update debate masters and calculate scores
  • Update Switch and SNES 'beat' threads

I'll mark down Hangtime in 1-2 months.  Unless you want to take the thread over?

• Haha 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

Me at night after kids are in bed:

• Build shelves
  • Play SNES
  • Write about SNES
  • Make crappy website slightly less crappy
  • Play Switch
  • Read
  • Watch something
  • Create debate thread(s) if necessary
  • Moderate reddit
  • Update debate masters and calculate scores
  • Update Switch and SNES 'beat' threads

I'll mark down Hangtime in 1-2 months.  Unless you want to take the thread over?

Aren't you done with the shelves? What are you doing on Reddit? I thought you were better than that.

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

This is supposed to be an unpopular post, not preaching the truth. 😄

Not really, we've had LttP vs OoT pretty much since we had OoT.  You could make a case just as easily for one of the other being the best Zelda ever.  Not much different than say, FF6 vs FF7.

Speaking of Zelda games, mine is: I don't like Breath of the Wild at all... it is SOOOOOOOO tedious!  You can't just find a sword and start killing monsters; you can't just find a bow and arrow and start shooting things; you can't just find a life potion and recover your health; and on and on and on.  Every single frickin' thing you want to do in this game takes 400 prerequesites, and then whatever your resulting item or event is will have limited use, at which point you'll have to start your hunting and gathering all over again.  To be fair, I've only played about 5 hours in, but barring a massively abrupt change in game dynamics at the 6 hour mark, I'm going to assume the entire game is like this and will quite happily never go near this game again.  It just feels too much like work.  Remember when Zelda games used to spot you a sword, a shield and a tunic right off the bat?  Ahhhhh.... good times, good times....

Edited by Dr. Morbis

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

but barring a massively abrupt change in game dynamics at the 6 hour mark

Actually, that sort of is what happens.  One of the FEW complaints I had about the game was that you go from way under powered to way overpowered without much in between.  I never did play the "hard" difficulty, but I'm looking forward to trying it out because in the near future I plan to start over from the beginning for the first time since launch day.  

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
12 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Is that an unpopular opinion? I like both, but I agree that LTTP is the better game.

I agree as well. I mean, I think they're both masterpieces in their own rights and some of the finest games of their respective generations, but LTTP definitely has the edge for me.

• Like 1