IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

360 was the place to be 05-09.  Best exclusives, best online, best place to play indies on a console, and ground zero for Netflix.

Then MS decided motion controls were the future and doubled down on Kinect, letting everything else fall by the wayside.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, fox said:

360 was the place to be 05-09.  Best exclusives, best online, best place to play indies on a console, and ground zero for Netflix.

Then MS decided motion controls were the future and doubled down on Kinect, letting everything else fall by the wayside.

Too bad half of them were RRODing and people were having to swap them for replacements about 3-4 times. 😛 

Editorials Team · Posted
49 minutes ago, Estil said:

Too bad half of them were RRODing and people were having to swap them for replacements about 3-4 times. 😛 

Going a week without the system while it underwent free repairs was a small price to pay for the best system of the era.

49 minutes ago, Sumez said:

I'm not sure how you'd even contest this. It's not an opinion, but straight up what those things are XD

3 hours ago, ChickenTendas said:

Has Nintendo put out an official statement on this yet? I know they've stated before that Pokemon Yellow is a Gameboy Color game. And yes, the Gameboy soundchip is stellar 😊

When reporting lifetime system sales, Nintendo combines GB and GBC, but not GBA. And GB music never seems to get the credit it deserves, it's always overshadowed by the NES.

I wouldn't say that's true at all.

In terms of video game music, yeah. A vast majority of GB games unfortunately sound like garbage, but you can only credit that to the developers.
In terms of the actual active chiptune scene, almost everyone is using Game Boys, partly thanks to the utility of LSDJ (though Nanoloop is also a popular choice). In fact, I don't think I've ever seen anyone perform NES music "live", despite Famitracker being a somewhat popular piece of software.

The audio hardware for the Game Boy was designed precisely with the experience gained from the NES in mind.
Both are just PSG chips, but at the end of the day, the GB soundchip has a ton of stuff you can mess with to get the sound that you want, where most of the features of the NES APU were antiquated and ignored by every developer only a couple of years after the console's release. I'd say that alone qualifies it as a better sound chip.

34 minutes ago, Aguy said:

When reporting lifetime system sales, Nintendo combines GB and GBC

If it gives them better numbers, that's not surprising. The GBC is essentially an improved Game Boy, still sharing most of the same design under the hood, so I don't see anything wrong with grouping them together. You can create a GBC game that is able to run on an original GB, and many of them do.

But obviously it's a different platform. One has color palettes, and the other doesn't. 

Edited by Sumez

On 8/7/2020 at 5:53 PM, Fio said:

About half of the games on the Virtual Boy would be remembered as classics if they were released for any other system.

I've kind of wished people would make a modded emulator to work with modern VR headsets, plus apply some form of pallet swapping for background and sprites, much like playing OG Game Boy games on a GBC.

We could break out of the red-only zone easy enough, and coming up with 16 or so color pallets shouldn't be difficult.  Maybe more people would give the system a try if this were an option.  Or, maybe this has been done and since I don't own a VR headset, I've not done my research. 😛  

3 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

Could you please clarify what you mean here? If you're talking about emulation, now that's interesting. My rule of thumb is if it is no longer available for sale and benefitting the publisher/developer, then it's okay to emulate. If you were to go out and buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, that doesn't benefit the original creators in any way. Just my 45 centavos

I personally agree with this too.  I own most of the games I'd ever want to play and I MUCH prefer to play on OG, unmodded hardware, but emulators keep the old stuff alive that we've not seen released in 20+ years.  I can even say that there have been "classic" titles that have been remade or re-released, and I've bought them for support of that type of preservation.

I know there are laws, I agree with following them, and I think publishers should be allowed to profit off of their media and franchises.  With that said though, emulating for the sake of experiencing something you might not otherwise have any way of experiencing is akin to speeding.  If you go 56 in a 55 (much less 60 in a 55) are you breaking the law?  Yes.  Do you care? No.  Does the law care much? Not unless they need to meet a quota.

Use it (emulation and downloaded ROMs) but don't abuse it. My $.02 as well.

21 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

Piracy should not be so openly accepted let alone praised and encouraged.

Edit: voicing an opinion, the comment is not regarding what someone has written in this thread.

I'm on the other side of this.  So much of gaming history is locked away on old consoles.  For the average person to experience a game they would need to buy the console, game, and mods or an old TV.  That is an expensive enough proposition.  Not to mention that prices continue to increase.  Personally I wouldn't expect someone to drop big money just for a bit of nostalgia. 

If someone owns a Switch get the online service to play SMB.  Otherwise use whatever method you need.  Use MAME to show your kid Bust a Move instead of restoring an old MVS cab.  To me it starts to seem like gatekeeping when people advocate against piracy for old games.  Not everyone can drop the cash or prioritize this hobby over other things. 

8 minutes ago, ChickenTendas said:

Oh man, this or a Virtual Boy 3ds emulator that takes advantage of the 3d slider would be awesome. 

Could you please clarify what you mean here? If you're talking about emulation, now that's interesting. My rule of thumb is if it is no longer available for sale and benefitting the publisher/developer, then it's okay to emulate. If you were to go out and buy a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga, that doesn't benefit the original creators in any way. Just my 45 centavos

I agree on that timeline.  Once the original provider of games stops servicing the public other means are fair game.  Wii Ware is dead as far as legitimate sales go.  Do we ignore its existence or get those games through other means?  I say do what you have to do. 

• Like 1

I just think that theft is theft. And when people say the companies aren't making money on these games, that might be the case at the moment, but it doesn't mean they can't or won't do it. How many times has Nintendo (arguably the main company against their IPs being stolen) made money on the original SMB? How much less money would they have made on it had they just told people it was alright to just download the game?

And yes, I totally agree with preserving these things being super important, but that doesn't mean I support dumping the ROM on the internet.

People talk as though they have a god given right to play these games just because they want to.

I do think that it's in companies' interests to publish their old games as well though and understand people being pissed when they ignore them.

The irony: I am pretty anti-capitalism haha.

28 minutes ago, RH said:

I personally agree with this too.  I own most of the games I'd ever want to play and I MUCH prefer to play on OG, unmodded hardware, but emulators keep the old stuff alive that we've not seen released in 20+ years.  I can even say that there have been "classic" titles that have been remade or re-released, and I've bought them for support of that type of preservation.

I know there are laws, I agree with following them, and I think publishers should be allowed to profit off of their media and franchises.  With that said though, emulating for the sake of experiencing something you might not otherwise have any way of experiencing is akin to speeding.  If you go 56 in a 55 (much less 60 in a 55) are you breaking the law?  Yes.  Do you care? No.  Does the law care much? Not unless they need to meet a quota.

Use it (emulation and downloaded ROMs) but don't abuse it. My $.02 as well.

Emulation is a good way to find games that you wouldn't have otherwise played because you wouldn't have bought the original cart, so nobody is really losing money in that situation. Sometimes people like the game enough to buy a copy after they've tried it out.

14 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Emulation is a good way to find games that you wouldn't have otherwise played because you wouldn't have bought the original cart, so nobody is really losing money in that situation. Sometimes people like the game enough to buy a copy after they've tried it out.

This is true and, in fact, way back in the days of Napster, IIRC, it was reported that there was actually a strong uptick in music purchasing, even though we college kids were going insane ripping and sharing music.  Now, looking back, I do think we went to far.  I had friends who had CD wallets PACKED with ripped discs and they never bought music.  However, these guys loved music and, maybe, bought 3-5 CDs a year because they had so much money.  Me however, well, I spent most of my free money on CDs.  When I started using Napster, I was able to listen to full albums.  If I found myself listening to an entire album, I was compelled to buy it because I wanted it.  I think this was back in 2000/2001 and I probably bought well over 100 CDs that year all because of Napster.  Once Napster was gone, I still bought music but it nose-dived.

I'm not saying this as a form of moral superiority but I do think that when this media is allowed to be distributed and enjoyed when it's otherwise not accessible, it allows for there to be a strong appeal to a companies brand and they can actually benefit by the uptick in sales because more people are interested in their brands, because they were able to experience them.

The irony: I am pretty anti pro-capitalism haha.

42 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

The irony: I am pretty anti-capitalism haha

That's some cognitive dissonance there. Nintendo has over 5 BILLION in cash and you want to make sure they get all their DS revenue from r4 cards sold around the world? Doesn't seem to line up.

Piracy would be to get the ROMs, flash them to carts and resell the carts. Until then it's just unlawful possession of IP.

It would be the equivalent of recording a song from the radio or taping a show from cable. 

People in general just don't understand what piracy is or what it looks like. Thinking it's one person who downloads a ROM pack is the wrong idea.

You need to, like, expand your mind, man.

29 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

That's some cognitive dissonance there. Nintendo has over 5 BILLION in cash and you want to make sure they get all their DS revenue from r4 cards sold around the world? Doesn't seem to line up.

Piracy would be to get the ROMs, flash them to carts and resell the carts. Until then it's just unlawful possession of IP.

It would be the equivalent of recording a song from the radio or taping a show from cable. 

People in general just don't understand what piracy is or what it looks like. Thinking it's one person who downloads a ROM pack is the wrong idea.

You need to, like, expand your mind, man.

I do think the impact of piracy gets overstated.  Some websites I use for guides on console mods have people who openly mock companies and state they will pirate new release content.  I disagree with that choice and also figure that is a very small percentage of people who do that.  Most people are more than willing to pick up Animal Crossing on Switch.  Sales show it.  Many of us early adopters have vulnerable consoles that could be hacked for piracy.  We just buy the game for convenience and supporting the dev. 

Piracy of modern content and often abandoned IP are two very different things like you say. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Hobbesworth said:

So why do Game Boy Color games sound worse than both?

I would say that probably has more to do with the games themselves than the hardware.  I can't say for sure as I have very little experience with the GBC.  Not sure what that has to do with what I was talking about.  

18 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Going a week without the system while it underwent free repairs was a small price to pay for the best system of the era.

The fact that such a thing was even necessary was a big joke.  What good is a "best system of the era" if you have to worry about it quitting on ya at any time?  Like years ago when I tried (and I mean tried ) to cancel AOL back in the day when they went way too far out of their way to "save" people from canceling I tried to tell them that I don't want to pay for a service that "quits" on me constantly.  I mean, suppose you're at a job and after a few hours or so, you just quit working...what will probably happen to you?

Then again this is the UNpopular opinion thread that I personally started... 😛  Still, I'm with the AVGN on this one...the most important thing about a video game console is being able to f-ing play it! 😄   And you can't do that when it RROD's on ya like 3-4 times. 😛