IGNORED

What are some of your UNpopular video game opinions? (real ones, not just ones for the sake of trolling or something)

Estil

I think Secret of Evermore is a better game than Secret of Mana. I played both pretty recently, and while people love to crap on Evermore, I found it to still be a really enjoyable game. Meanwhile I got tired of Mana's grinding, the way your attacks on enemies constantly wouldn't register, and how you'd constantly be getting knocked down and chain attacked by bosses. Evermore improved a lot of things about the mechanics, letting you know when your hits missed, charge attacks didn't feel useless, and my current level equivalent to enemies and bosses always felt balanced. I also liked the alchemy system, it was an interesting idea judging which spells to use an ingredient on, as opposed to just giving someone a dozen spells (this game probably has like 3 times that amount) and using whichever, making several of them obsolete later. I never had a problem with looking for ingredients like some people complained, since you can easily buy them at various merchants pretty cheap.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2020 at 1:45 AM, Sumez said:

Doesn't the PS2 one suffer pretty badly from input lag? That should be a dealbreaker for a game like this.

I was so mad when that came out and they swapped the buttons and didn't give you the option to switch them back.  I couldn't understand how the devs could be so idiotic.  Also, despite their claim, they games weren't perfect replicas of the originals.  Some of the mechanics like the slide had subtle alterations.

I've liked NOTHING about the exclusives that Microsoft has stuck to the xbox branding since day one, other than HALO, yet double unpopular, screw multiplayer I actually enjoy the single player game as it has an oddly compelling sci-fi story to move along you rarely get in that genre.

I recently found a copy of it for a buck at a goodwill, so I'm meddling with it again after like a decade (the first one.)  I may have to invest in the master chief bundle on steam.

• Like 1

On 7/31/2020 at 10:33 PM, CMR said:

I was so mad when that came out and they swapped the buttons and didn't give you the option to switch them back.  I couldn't understand how the devs could be so idiotic.  Also, despite their claim, they games weren't perfect replicas of the originals.  Some of the mechanics like the slide had subtle alterations.

Sumez was asking about the PS2 version, not the GameCube version, in response to my unpopular opinion that the GameCube version is superior (which I stand by, for several reasons listed on page 18). I, for one, didn't and still don't have a problem with the reversed controls since Metroid Prime is the same way (even in the unlockable NES Metroid) and I don't remember anyone ever complaining about that (just the aiming).

Edited by MegaMan52

2 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I'm with you on that. It's the main reason I've barely touched any Xbox console. I never felt I was missing anything.

First Xbox, and Xbox One, sure.

But the X360? It was pretty much the SNES or PS2 of its generation. If it weren't for Demon's Souls, the PS3 might as well have not existed.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, Sumez said:

First Xbox, and Xbox One, sure.

But the X360? It was pretty much the SNES or PS2 of its generation. If it weren't for Demon's Souls, the PS3 might as well have not existed.

I don't know. I felt like 95% of the games were also on PS3, which is what I had. Was never a fan of online multiplayer, so Xbox Live didn't entice me at all.

Yeah, I feel like I made a mistake getting a 360 instead of a PS3. The only reason I did was because someone had a spare 360 and sold it to me cheap, combined with the fact I was still butthurt about them ending backwards compatibility with the PS3. Literally the only exclusive for 360 I can think of that I love was a port, Guardian Heroes.

Still kind of makes it worth it though.

It's true that a large majority of games came out for both platforms, so for the most part it didn't really matter, and I got most of those games on X360, so that probably makes me biased in my impression, even though I don't personally care for either company. There were a lot of little conveniences about the console itself, with its only issue being that most games are region locked. I missed out on Raiden Fighters Aces due to that.

Not counting XBLA games like Limbo and Castle Crashers (which eventually came out on PS3 much later anyway), almost all of the physical exclusives I got during that generation fell out in the X360's favor. Dead Rising, Gears of War, Lost Odyssey, The Witcher 2, Deadly Premonition, Blue Dragon, Bully, Metro 2033, Divinity 2, Crackdown, Prey, King Kong... The real catch for me, however, is all the Cave ports, as well as a handful of other great region free shooters.

X360 was just in general the safe bet for that generation, much to my surprise.

Edited by Sumez

1 hour ago, Gary Hobbesworth said:

Yeah, I feel like I made a mistake getting a 360 instead of a PS3. The only reason I did was because someone had a spare 360 and sold it to me cheap, combined with the fact I was still butthurt about them ending backwards compatibility with the PS3. Literally the only exclusive for 360 I can think of that I love was a port, Guardian Heroes.

Still kind of makes it worth it though.

You really didn't. PS3 exclusives mostly suck, and since games were generally made with 360 in mind, they were generally superior even if only by a little.

- Someone who picked PS3>360

Edited by PineappleLawnchair
  • Angry 1

5 hours ago, MegaMan52 said:

Sumez was asking about the PS2 version, not the GameCube version, in response to my unpopular opinion that the GameCube version is superior (which I stand by, for several reasons listed on page 18). I, for one, didn't and still don't have a problem with the reversed controls since Metroid Prime is the same way (even in the unlockable NES Metroid) and I don't remember anyone ever complaining about that (just the aiming).

I guess that's my unpopular opinion then.

2 hours ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

You really didn't. PS3 exclusives mostly suck...

That's interesting, because the exclusives were really the reason I picked PS3. Got mine in 2007(maybe 2008?) mostly for Metal Gear Solid 4, Gran Turismo and MLB: The Show, eventually ended up with Killzone, Resistance, God of War 3, the Uncharted games and The Last of Us, plus a handful of multi-plat games. Not all were 10/10 games, but I was more than satisfied.

On 8/3/2020 at 7:30 AM, ChickenTendas said:

At the time you also had Demon's Souls, Journey, 3 Yakuza games, Persona 5, and LittleBigPlanet 3. There were also a shit ton of high quality collections on the system that were priced really well. Most of the games that were exclusives have been ported to ps4 and pc but the system still had some really good exclusives during its time. That price tag really hurt it though.

Most of the great stuff from last gen has been ported to the current consoles.  Wii U isn't the only one facing that fate.  I was comfortable selling the PS3 and 360.  They just feel like a waste of space when only a few games are stuck back there for me.

4 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

The current Modern Warfare is good and fun.

It is awesome. Best I've played since the original Black Ops.

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

I mean... it definitely is. I don't think this opinion is unpopular lol, it's been lauded as one of the best CoD games by most people who ACTUALLY play CoD.

I was more referencing the people who think CoD in general is trash and have that holier than thou attitude toward people who play those games. I haven’t played since Black Ops, it just wasn’t my thing anymore, but damn this one really pulled me back in.

• Like 1