IGNORED

The rarest GameCube game has been put up for auction. How high do ya think it’ll go?

20 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Fine, if you're not into holding onto a lot of "paper" feel free to send some of yours my way! Got a nice "waste paper basket" set up on PayPal you can funnel it into! 😉

I think you're missing my point...and it would be super nice if I did indeed have a lot of that kind of paper!!  Sadly me and my wife's SSDI's doesn't go very far 😞 

8 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Auction is over the 4k mark now.. I wonder how many shill bids in there.

There’s a pattern that I’m seeing lately:

rare shit + sealed shit = bonkers 

I’m still trying to figure out how much of it is market manipulation, and how much of it is genuinely due to actual rich impatient bonkers!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Are you asking who cares about the variant or who cares about GC collecting?

The variant.   I don’t see any greatest hits anything being anything anyone cares about long term.   Okay so say it’s 2500 now.   Is that more likely to go up to 5000, 10,000 over time?    Or to drop to 1000?    If it wasn't greatest hits/ players choice I’d have an open mind but I see this as only appealing to a tiny number of people.    I could be wrong but I have a hard time imagining anything less exciting 

Edited by Bronty

51 minutes ago, Bronty said:

The variant.   I don’t see any greatest hits anything being anything anyone cares about long term.   Okay so say it’s 2500 now.   Is that more likely to go up to 5000, 10,000 over time?    Or to drop to 1000?    If it was greatest hits/ players choice I’d have an open mind but I see this as only appealing to a tiny number of people.    I could be wrong but I have a hard time imagining anything less exciting 

I hear you. I guess it’s the outer box people are wanting, but I’m like you in that it’s not something I’d be willing to drop any large sum of money on.

Just looking at some of the recent sold GC auctions for new games, I don't see prices as being that crazy for a Nintendo system that is almost 20 years old.  Sealed games on Nintendo platforms tend to do well over time.

Edited by kell

I had a close look at the bidding history. The initial bidding looks a bit dodgy:

- 2 new accounts out of the first 3 bidders. 

- astronomical jump from starting bid of $41 to $1,225 in the second bid.

a***3(618)
$2,500.00
Apr-24-20, 06:45:18 PDT
e***f(1)
$1,450.00
Apr-23-20, 21:04:50 PDT
c***m(126)
$1,225.00
Apr-23-20, 20:32:02 PDT
r***_(0)
$41.00
Apr-23-20, 20:

12 hours ago, GPX said:

I had a close look at the bidding history. The initial bidding looks a bit dodgy:

- 2 new accounts out of the first 3 bidders. 

- astronomical jump from starting bid of $41 to $1,225 in the second bid.

a***3(618)
$2,500.00
Apr-24-20, 06:45:18 PDT
e***f(1)
$1,450.00
Apr-23-20, 21:04:50 PDT
c***m(126)
$1,225.00
Apr-23-20, 20:32:02 PDT
r***_(0)
$41.00
Apr-23-20, 20:

I don't think it's crazy, especially if two high rollers had saved searches. What would be fishy is if their bid percents are high for this seller.

And just be clear, the prices are insane but the bid history isn't fishy. I can't figure out how to see the buyer metrics from my phone, so I can't check these guys out, though.

Edited by RH

11 hours ago, Bronty said:

The variant.   I don’t see any greatest hits anything being anything anyone cares about long term.   Okay so say it’s 2500 now.   Is that more likely to go up to 5000, 10,000 over time?    Or to drop to 1000?    If it wasn't greatest hits/ players choice I’d have an open mind but I see this as only appealing to a tiny number of people.    I could be wrong but I have a hard time imagining anything less exciting 

You never know I’m sure most of us didn’t see the Mario and sonic craze coming. Most don’t notice that GameCube games are jumping in price outta nowhere. 

Graphics Team · Posted
On 4/24/2020 at 4:33 PM, Nintegageo said:

Player's Choice gamecube game that is super valuable? Is this a real thing?

Yeah, imagine going back to, like, 2010 and telling retro game collectors that in a decade, people will legitimately want Player's Choice Gamecube games. They'd think it's some kind of joke.

-CasualCart

21 hours ago, Bronty said:

As someone who owned this item in the past, I would bet a lot that this never dropping to $1000 again.  It's legit rare and should always be at or above Pokemon Box pricing as a comparable.  When I had one I spoke to multiple Gamecube collectors who needed it for their set,  yet everyone drug their feet on pricing because there were "no sales to go off of".  I sold it under $1k but most people I spoke to thought it was closer to $500 at the time. 

I can't say whether or not the current price level is legit without shills, but I would have expected at least $1500-$2k before bidding even started.  

Edited by jonebone

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

You think they considered it for a full set? 

If this is needed for a full set, then every single player's choice version, every duo pack, and every variant is needed too. If I were a full set collector, I wouldn't consider this needed for a full set because it's 2 games that had their own releases outside of this bundle. It's like the windwaker Metroid prime bundle. I don't think that is needed for a full set either.

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

As far as I know, and am aware, everyone in the GameCube community has basically agreed on the full set being the 558 black label games, no cardboard double packs or anything like that. I think variant collectors are going insane for it because it’s the ONE every variant collector is missing. I know multiple people who want it and have talked to a few people who are ready to drop up to 8K on it. I capped out at 2 grand, and I was only going to find it by selling Saturn games for it 

11 hours ago, jonebone said:

As someone who owned this item in the past, I would bet a lot that this never dropping to $1000 again.  It's legit rare and should always be at or above Pokemon Box pricing as a comparable.  When I had one I spoke to multiple Gamecube collectors who needed it for their set,  yet everyone drug their feet on pricing because there were "no sales to go off of".  I sold it under $1k but most people I spoke to thought it was closer to $500 at the time. 

I can't say whether or not the current price level is legit without shills, but I would have expected at least $1500-$2k before bidding even started.  

That’s really not the point I was making - I don’t really know or care what the real numbers are but I don’t see much long term demand on a players choice double pack.   In other words, rarity will take it to some price level but it will bump against a glass ceiling.   Stadium events gets that treatment , somewhat, and it’s an original and early NES title.      This is a double reprint of best sellers with a new outer box ?   It will hit a ceiling.    The auction is already 4300 so maybe it’s 10k now - I dunno.    But whatever it goes for I’d rather be the seller than the buyer

• Like 3

On 4/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, RH said:

I don't think it's crazy, especially if two high rollers had saved searches. What would be fishy is if their bid percents are high for this seller.

And just be clear, the prices are insane but the bid history isn't fishy. I can't figure out how to see the buyer metrics from my phone, so I can't check these guys out, though.

Bid percents aren’t the only thing to look for. There needs to be several factors to take into account in combination, such as the initial bids and the number of feedback on these initial bids. 

What looks most sus to me is the initial bid jumping an astronomical 30x to the second bid amount. Picture another item with an initial bid of $400, then the next bid you see is $12,000... or another item of initial bid of $4,000 then the next bid jumps to $120,000..

Anyway, like Bronty, I don’t have one ounce of care for this item. Just trying to point out some level of weirdness in the bidding, whether it’s legit or otherwise.

8 minutes ago, GPX said:

Bid percents aren’t the only thing to look for. There needs to be several factors to take into account in combination, such as the initial bids and the number of feedback on these initial bids. 

What looks most sus to me is the initial bid jumping an astronomical 30x to the second bid amount. Picture another item with an initial bid of $400, then the next bid you see is $12,000... or another item of initial bid of $4,000 then the next bid jumps to $120,000..

Anyway, like Bronty, I don’t have one ounce of care for this item. Just trying to point out some level of weirdness in the bidding, whether it’s legit or otherwise.

Well, in my rookie days, let's just say I had seen items I really wanted, I threw out a "crazy price" to catch it and then someone immediately out bid me... I've seen this behavior legitimately and 15 years ago, I was in that boat. It might not be likely but a lot of collectors see eBay as a last resort and they'd rather find these items at game shops. However, when they one legit rare game comes along that you want, you do what you have to do to get it and if they aren't use to eBay, they broke the #1 cardinal rule, which is to wait until the last 10 seconds of the auction to throw out your max bid.

It's the fighting rookies that can make you $$$!

On 4/26/2020 at 1:56 PM, DoctorEncore said:

Stop making me regret the thousands of dollars I've spent on flimsy cardboard NES boxes! 😭

Trust me, I have a lot of expensive paper around these parts as well. However, I try to fool myself by rationalizing that it's not because of a box for a box of an easily obtainable game.

I just can justify huge price increase for niche items like that. 

Is there a difference in the contents of each game that makes them obviously a part of this double pack?

Edited by RegularGuyGamer