IGNORED

Interest in a visual Weekly Contest archives

guillavoie

Events Team · Posted

Hey guys!

I thought about making a visual archive of the weekly contest. I know that Bea is working on backing up data in a more technical way, but I had this idea that could be another project which would try to preserve the 'feel' of the contest history. I would archive all threads in the form of pics, each pic being a page of 100 posts. Here's an example : weekly contest archive test

Download the pic and open it with your internet browser. I use firefox and all I have to do is to click on the pic to adjust it to a normal view size, and then I can scroll it just like we would on the forum. The idea would be to make an easy accessible directory where each contest threads would be archived in its entirety (ie: 360 posts thread = 4 clickable link to pics). Is it something that you guys would like to use as a reference to the old threads, in the event that everything is about to get washed up in the NA site update?

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
13 minutes ago, Alder said:

Why not just download the pages as HTML?

Man, glad to see you're here Alder! It's so cool to see all those familiar faces popping up again on VGS 🙂

Well, I don't know exactly, but I thought the fact that each page generates their own pictures folder was sort of annoying to handle. I'm not set in stone on how I wish to do this, and I got to admit I'm no expert in web design, so the pages/pics looked like something easy to handle for me, and it is easier to compress them all in size VS having all those separate folders with all pics.

By all means, if anyone have any suggestions to make it as practicable, easy to use and fast to archive, I'm open to hear them.

4 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

Krunch! You better play next season brother! 

Yeah busy year just needed a break but I’m so pumped to grind it out next year!!!   Get some wins on the new site with a fresh start, can’t wait to see what the games list will be, if raid 2020 isn’t included then that’s a fail

Events Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Krunch said:

Yeah I mean anything you could do to preserve the threads, I enjoy reading through all the old contests those threads are some of my favorites.   For me the more content preserved on this the better

My main goal is to archive them just as they are on NA, so it is going to be either a complete HTML archives or a complete scrolable pictures archives, which would pretty much be what you're looking for my good Krunch!

1 hour ago, BeaIank said:

I will be working on that script to save the contest pages as HTML this weekend.
Then it will be a matter of deciding where to host them so people can access the full contest history.

FTP them to Gloves and have him host them on VGS S3, I think he will be getting it soon for image hosting.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:43 AM, guillavoie said:

My main goal is to archive them just as they are on NA, so it is going to be either a complete HTML archives or a complete scrolable pictures archives, which would pretty much be what you're looking for my good Krunch!

I'm not sure how the whole site ownership thing goes, but wouldn't NA basically own the contest threads? I don't know if the NA logo would need to be removed from picture archives or if even picture archives from the other site is allowed. I really doubt the new owners are that worried about the contest data, but I dont know if that could be a potential issue.

I'm in favor of preserving as much of the contest history as possible. If the picture archive option doesn't work out, maybe there wouId be a way to set up something similar to Brock's archive thread where you could add a link with the final leaderboards for each contest if linking the thread isn't doable.

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure how the whole site ownership thing goes, but wouldn't NA basically own the contest threads? I don't know if the NA logo would need to be removed from picture archives or if even picture archives from the other site is allowed. I really doubt the new owners are that worried about the contest data, but I dont know if that could be a potential issue.

There's indeed a solid chance that they don't care, and it also depends on the way the archive is accessible. I don't have a definite solution right now, but what I can say is that I have the archive accessible on my computer right now as Firefox HTML saved pages. Anyone could simply download the whole thing through a private shared link (stored on any kind of cloud) and use it directly in their computer (with a firefox browser to load it perfectly).

Like I said, i just backed up thing for now, I still need to evaluate what I can do with it to be easily accessible for anyone who would wish to consult it.

20 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It would be great to see a bunch of the old crew come back next season. Hope you get a chance to play!

Honestly I was just getting so busy with my home life (I now have a fiancee, a cat, and a dog) that I just needed a break but really I do have lots of time at home so I will absolutely be joining the fray next year.  Can't wait!  I think my NES is starting to get jealous of my Switch 😕

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

Honestly I was just getting so busy with my home life (I now have a fiancee, a cat, and a dog) that I just needed a break but really I do have lots of time at home so I will absolutely be joining the fray next year.  Can't wait!  I think my NES is starting to get jealous of my Switch 😕

I hear ya. I've had a rough year so I never got a chance to join in this season. I'm hoping things improve by next year so I can at least join in here and there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I hear ya. I've had a rough year so I never got a chance to join in this season. I'm hoping things improve by next year so I can at least join in here and there.

For me it's all or none, if I'm gonna play once I need to play every week - I actually did play a little bit of Mario 2 and didnt see the whole year happening for myself, then just said welp maybe next year

1 minute ago, Krunch said:

For me it's all or none, if I'm gonna play once I need to play every week - I actually did play a little bit of Mario 2 and didnt see the whole year happening for myself, then just said welp maybe next year

I'm the same way. I'm just not sure if I can manage a full season and give 100% effort with everything going on. I figure it would be better to play for fun when I can than not at all. 

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm the same way. I'm just not sure if I can manage a full season and give 100% effort with everything going on. I figure it would be better to play for fun when I can than not at all. 

Truth,  It's the 100% effort aspect that's hard to nail.  For myself if I dont get drawn into the game or already have exp with it I just go for a respectable participation and hope for top 8.  I have a feeling next year is gonna get some robust participation, a new fresh start to the site is a blessing in disguise in those ways 

37 minutes ago, Krunch said:

Truth,  It's the 100% effort aspect that's hard to nail.  For myself if I dont get drawn into the game or already have exp with it I just go for a respectable participation and hope for top 8.  I have a feeling next year is gonna get some robust participation, a new fresh start to the site is a blessing in disguise in those ways 

I'm hoping to see a bunch of old players come back and there should be plenty of new members by the time next season starts, so hopefully the first official VGS contest season sees the participation level get back to the peak days of the NA contests.

On 10/24/2019 at 12:43 AM, guillavoie said:

I managed to find the contest archive page on the "new" NA if anyone wants to use it for a quick reference: 

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/168510/contest-archives-and-hall-of-fame

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I managed to find the contest archive page on the "new" NA if anyone wants to use it for a quick reference: 

https://connect.gocollect.com/discussion/168510/contest-archives-and-hall-of-fame

Ugh. With all due to respect to whoever designed that site, it's so freaking ugly. Oh, my eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/30/2019 at 10:57 PM, mbd39 said:

Ugh. With all due to respect to whoever designed that site, it's so freaking ugly. Oh, my eyes.

This is at least readable although the contest thread links don't even work now. It's sad that the site is literally breaking down faster than I can keep up.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

• 2 weeks later...