IGNORED

Games You Can Play Quietly

LostLevel83

8 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Anything.  I’ve used game time as album

listening time since forever.  To the point that certain games have certain albums deeply associated with them.  Duke nukem time to kill has the soundtrack of ReLoad for example.

THIS. Hahahaha. I don't do it anymore, but there was a period in my mid and late teens where I only listened to albums while playing. I can't always identify the connection out of the blue, but if I hear certain songs I'm transported back to whatever game I was playing.

Now I have an Atmos setup and my media room is far from the bedrooms, so I try to really appreciate the sound design of the game I'm playing.

As for games that are good to play muted? Any puzzle game or RPG would generally work. I can't think of any particularly great examples though.

Edited by DoctorEncore

I must say if I'm playing a game on my CRT (especially if I need to do some grinding in an RPG or something and YES puzzle games work for that too, for example the Picross ones on SNES and GB) I can easily keep its sound off while having something on YT or something playing on my modern HD monitor.  Perfect, right?

Though I must say just being a solo gamer being able to play at my own pace with my kitty sitting just to the left of me, I think that in of itself I consider "quiet" gaming.

Edited by Estil

Events Helper · Posted
2 hours ago, LostLevel83 said:

My wife likes to read. Our den includes my CRT and gaming setup.

I enjoy playing while she reads, but keep the sound low for most titles.

What are games that you enjoy that can be played either low or no sound?

Depends on what you like, but ANY nes rpg lol  I suggest the dragon warriors 🙂 

Or there is this option 😉 

https://pksafety.com/howard-leight-laser-lite-disposable-earplug-200-pair-box-ll-1/?utm_source=google&utm_campaign=smart shopping all&utm_medium=ppc&utm_terms=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzoHisp_z6AIVDSsMCh1HOQmgEAQYAyABEgKyNPD_BwE

Edited by Jeevan

You said CRT so I'm assuming you're talking about older console systems, but if you want any game, including ones where you don't make much noise with the buttons, the first one that came to mind was Yu-Gi-Oh. You pretty much just push A the whole duel to select cards and it's turn based so you're not constantly pushing buttons. Pokemon also came to mind.

Ever since being stuck at home with no privacy at all due to the bs going on I've had to resort to using my old PS3 Turtle Beach around the ear headphones.  They keep my sound in but since they're not proofed on the outside, I can still make out sound from around so I'm not deaf to stuff.  Maybe do that and run a wire.

Graphics Team · Posted

I only listen to albums or podcasts while playing a game when I'm already familiar with the in-game music and sound design. Otherwise I feel like I'm missing out on part of the experience. That being said, I'd agree with tuning-out the sound on puzzle games, since those generally have repetitive music and the sound effects aren't used as audio-cues for gameplay.

-CasualCart

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, LostLevel83 said:

It’s funny that some games are “peak nostalgia” when played with a different soundtrack.

Example: My brother and I used to turn the soundtrack off for Top Gear and listen to our Ace of Base tape (purchased at K-Mart) via boom box instead.

• Haha 1