IGNORED

Those of you who have an FPGA console - how is it? Do you still play on original hardware?

Strange

I’m looking at getting a Mega SG but I’m curious how getting these consoles has affected other people’s gaming habits. Seems like a good option to have when you don't have a CRT available - traveling, friends’ houses, etc. But have any of these (Analogue, RetroAVS) replaced original hardware for you? If not, why?

42 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I also use the AVS. Not just for the HDTV abilities, though that is nice, but the other features. Since it has a Famicom slot, I've been getting into Famicom games. There's a ton of great games we never got.

That’s another reason I want the Mega SG - It takes Mega Drives games, and I can also play Game Gear games on my TV and historical oddities like the SG-1000

I have a Mega SG and AVS in my living room hooked up to our main 4k tv, and I do probably 90% of my NES and Genesis gaming on that setup nowadays. I love it. I still have all of my original consoles hooked up in my basement mancave area and occasionally play something on the NES or Genesis down there, but usually if the Genesis is involved it will be Sega CD or 32x down there because unhooking that whole mess to play via the Mega SG just sounds exhausting.

I recently ordered a Super NT, and look forward to adding that to the living room set up. Huge FPGA proponent here. 

I've gone all-in on FPGAs and I couldn't be happier. I mostly just play NES on my Analogue Nt, but I also have a Super Nt and Mega Sg and fire them up occasionally. I am not a speedrunner, so I don't even keep the original consoles or CRT around anymore. Also, I love the super sharp, pixelated look of classic games on my OLED. I don't ever wanna go back.

I have an AVS and Super NT and they're both excellent systems and I definitely recommend them. Will probably be grabbing the Mega SG in the next few weeks as well because I've wanted to play some Genesis and my original console has been kind of spotty lately.

That said I still typically play on CRT. It just feels more authentic to me and adds to the overall experience. But if I have friends or family over and we wanna play some old games I'm usually just doing it on a FPGA system for the convenience factor.

I'm sure you saw my anti-CRT post considering how poor I find the visuals and the loss of detail due to them being SD.

Over the last few years I've worked toward an HDMI solution and as such I have the HiDefNES Kit in my toploader NES, a SuperNT for SNES, the UltraHDMI in my N64, and the external GC2HDMI device on my Gamecube's digital port.  Beyond that I've got both Nintendo and Sega's HDMI mini systems too.  When and if ever an affordable device is made for PC Engine(or PCE Duo) then that's next.

How are they?  Utterly fantastic and nails it on the nose every time without fault at least for what I use on them (my original games, and flash kits too.)  The visuals and audio are crystal clear and clean much like playing it on a PC the last 20 years.  The allowed enhancement that they expose to the games that were ghosted and blended on old RCA cables with 2D is obvious.  The 3D side though on Gamecube is nothing but depressing when you see how much was sadly lost on games the HDMI adapter allows to resurface.  There really is no loss here outside of light gun games if you're really hard up for those and even those are slowly getting work arounds through patched roms and hacker jobs people are cooking up.

So do I use my old stuff?  As intended, no, but considering the NES and N64 got modified, and I shelved the multi-av cable on my Cube, sure yes I do.  But my original style NES Action Set and SNES Donkey Kong Super Set, they're back in the box being well preserved as complete packages.

21 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

I believe @zeppelin03 has a Mister.  Don't know if it is set up with a CRT though.

I have my mister hooked up to a flat panel.  I didn't go for the IO board as I only have a small 14" tube for the built in VCR.  I can say that on a modern tv using bluetooth or 2.4ghz the experience is great.  Games feel very responsive on any cores I have used.  The scaling options as well as filters make the image look fantastic.  It's feels comparable to a real console on a modern screen under ideal conditions.  Can assume that would carry to a CRT/PVM as well. 

It has replaced many of my old options included RGB modded consoles and the Super NT.  For probably $225 I have a unit that plays so many consoles and arcades.

I really hope we get a PS1 core so I can play SOTN with these scanlines!

Edited by zeppelin03

3 hours ago, MachineCode said:

You do realize that the source material is SD, right?

Depends on the system you're talking about.  I mean sure the output is definitely capped at 240 or 480 with the older stuff, but the actual assets can be crystal clear and sharper than you could even hope to imagine on an old TV because the materials are not made on that.  For instance, take the Rogue Squadron 2 game on the Cube.  That one, the assets are borrowed from the later 90s Star Wars movie remasters.  Put up the visuals of the opening sequence with the x-wings etc, and also the Hoth bit with you in a speeder chase cam too.  Google image search it, preferably a youtube 720 or better visual display.  The SD version even with the $300 Gamecube cables loses a good bit of detail, largely on RCA/RF level, but on HDMI, ever scorch mark, every seam, every rivet, every little singular thin fanblade on the back of the speeder are all there.

i own an avs. I dont use it very often. it never had a chance against my original nes and crt. 

the avs is a very nice piece though. its just too different for me. i perfer the look of a crt, pro or consumer. rf and composite are fine. component and rgb are fantastic. 

hdmi and lcd for 240p. no thanks. 

i would probably enjoy my avs more if i had a nice lcd to use it with. the problem is the two lcd tvs i have create to much input lag for me to ignore 🤷 

aspect ratio is another minor issue and the optional scanline filter is cool but its just not the same thing.  

i would say if you dont have room for original hardware and a crt tv the avs is a great option.

Edited by skinnygrinny
spelled too wrong