IGNORED

Old kid, new name. How's it going?

Hello! My name is Frankie.

Around 2010-2011, I was on NA a lot as KidOrrorin. It's a shame what happened over there. With a little bit of searching around I found that a bunch of the people who made that site so great had created this site, so I decided to join! 

To anyone who contributed to the NA database and forums, I wanna say thank you for taking the time to make that site such a valuable resource for this community. I disappeared for a while but I would go back every now and then because I trusted the input of a lot of people over there. To those of you who created this site, thanks so much to you as well. I really appreciate that you use your time and resources to create a space where this community can gather.

A little about me...I'm from Rochester, New York, I lived in Los Angeles for two years, and I've lived in Montréal, Québec for the past four years. I'm a cabinetmaker by trade and I love wood working. I like film, television, and radio (big Rover's Morning Glory fan). I like all sorts of music and I also collect records (same name on discogs). If I had to pick a favorite system it would probably be N64, mainly because I grew up playing that the most,  but my NES collection is my largest with just under 250 carts. I look forward to spending time here so thanks for having me!
  • Like 2

Thanks everyone! I already got some sage advice from a couple users on an issue I would have otherwise wasted time and money on trying to figure out myself, so I'm glad I asked here first!

On 4/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, Jeevan said:

Feel free to join in on the beat them all threads 🙂  We are working on the entire N64 catalog and are nearing the halfway point!  Enjoy the site!

I checked out the thread and there's a couple I could attempt. I saw someone already did Mia Hamm Soccer 64. Poor fella. I received 2 copies from a "friend" as a wedding gift with "His" and "Hers"  written on them.

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I remember you!   Welcome (back)!

Yeah, I remember you too! Glad to be back!

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome @frankiesomethin ! and GooOOOOood Morning Montréal!

Pretty cool that you are a cabinetmaker! One time I made a super solid wood furniture for the biggest tube tv I've seen of my life and was weight like 250-300 pounds. Anyway I loved that experience.

I'm a lot into NES and music too.

What type of records are you collecting ? Cd ? Vynil ? cassette ?

@OLDSKULL  I have a bunch of tapes and cds but I like to collect vinyl. My collection is largely comprised of soul, R&B, and French pop (mostly Aznavour), but I initially started collecting punk and hardcore records.

You might appreciate this...my wife's uncle was leaving his mom's apartment in Outremont one day and he overheard someone saying that Marjo threw away her record player, so he went down to the trash area, grabbed it and gave it to me! I'm not positive it belonged to THE Marjo but he said he's seen her before because she lives in the same building. Regardless, I tell people I have Marjo's record player though it's probably like how George Costanza claimed to have Jon Voight's car.

Here's some pictures. It's an Electrohome Apollo 862. The am/fm tuner is shot and there's a horrible short in the speakers that takes some fidgeting in order to get balanced sound, but I love it!

IMG_0458.jpg.9d3e4768c158b4fc3a81d30a40862b55.jpg

IMG_0459.jpg.a85fa43935b56042c73c36c60a0496e6.jpg

Edited by frankiesomethin

@frankiesomethin That was a nice story! I would not be surprise that it's hers. That's a beautiful record player model you got ! the round shape, the eq and stuffs in the front. If the sound is good and everything works, I think I would repair those speakers. However, can you change the speakers if there's anything ? I saw that they did a stand for it. That's pretty neat.

Personally, I have no place for vinyls so I don't know if I will ever pass that bridge. I got a shitload of cds. I'm in the process of downsizing my collection. I bought some wood boxes at Rona and imposed myself this maximum space. I took advantage of the confinement to put time in listening a maximum of cds per day and sort them all. I start my mornings like that 🙂

My music taste is eclectic not a lot of boundaries and lot of contradictions, but there's less and less heavy band that I get to appreciate to the point of digging into them. For a long time I had the habit (and opporunities) to buy cds 0.10$ to 1$ each and sometimes 2$ by bunch and I was having kicks going through all the music that I did not know or even like ahah so many songs, so many prayers, so many people looking for something out there and unheard. Of course, I never managed to be on top of my back catalog, but getting there in the last 2 years and it feels good ! Many goodbyes. 

XOjv1-e1368279718437.jpg

3 hours ago, OLDSKULL said:

Personally, I have no place for vinyls so I don't know if I will ever pass that bridge. I got a shitload of cds. I'm in the process of downsizing my collection. I bought some wood boxes at Rona and imposed myself this maximum space. I took advantage of the confinement to put time in listening a maximum of cds per day and sort them all. I start my mornings like that 🙂

My music taste is eclectic not a lot of boundaries and lot of contradictions, but there's less and less heavy band that I get to appreciate to the point of digging into them. For a long time I had the habit (and opporunities) to buy cds 0.10$ to 1$ each and sometimes 2$ by bunch and I was having kicks going through all the music that I did not know or even like ahah so many songs, so many prayers, so many people looking for something out there and unheard. Of course, I never managed to be on top of my back catalog, but getting there in the last 2 years and it feels good ! Many goodbyes.

That sounds like a fun, productive time! I've been trying to do the same with books I've intended to read over the years. Just working my way down the line since I have the time now.

Yeah, I love all sorts of music and my choices don't really make sense either. I, too, love rummaging through bargain bins and snatching out random picks for whatever reason. 

13 hours ago, frankiesomethin said:

That sounds like a fun, productive time!

Mmm is this sarcasm ?! 🤨 It's productive in the way I do other things while absorbing theses hours of music per day. This cleansing is good for the head and spirit. Confinement got me closer to my books too. I read a chapter per day more or less and it feels good to have all this time ahead. I never been less anxious.

@OLDSKULL   Haha no I wasn't being sarcastic. I'm the last person to criticize how anyone spends their time during this shutdown.

The other day my wife was having a video conference for her job and I overheard her boss ask her how I've been doing since I got laid off and I laughed because as my wife started talking about how productive I've been, I was staring at a character I painstakingly created in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 to look as identical to myself as possible. I'm not joking when I say it took a good hour of deciding whether or not I should wear baggy or regular cuffed jeans and other stuff like that (I went with the regular cuff, btw).

It made me happy seeing that blocky version of myself doing impossible trick combinations. If starting your day listening to your cd collection makes you happy then I encourage it!