IGNORED

COVID Assistance - Requests and Offers

spacepup

Administrator · Posted

VGS community,

I know that many of us are struggling with new challenges due to COVID, and I feel that this is a time where we can come together as a community and help each other to get through this.  One way we can do that, is by helping others who are having trouble obtaining certain items in their area.  I'd like this to be a place where members can reach out with requests for things they truly need, and hopefully others here who might have access, can obtain them and share - or even to provide helpful information about finding those items.

If there is something you truly need, and are having real trouble obtaining where you are, please feel free to share here, and it is my sincere wish that others here may be able to help and reach out to you.  Alternatively, if you have something extra and you would like to offer to other members, please feel free to do that as well.

The rules for this thread are as follows:

1.)  This thread is for serious conversation only, and joking around, trolling, etc. will not be tolerated.  Please only post here if you have a true need, or have something to offer.  I don't want to see jokes or comments about people's requests either.  There are people who truly do need things like toilet paper, diapers, depends, or other items either for their family or maybe even for elderly friends or family they are helping to care for.  

2.)  This thread is not for video-game items or other entertainment.  This is for items such as (not limited to these) toiler paper, hand sanitizer, medical supplies, vitamins, childcare supplies, face shields, etc. etc. -- basically, things that you might truly need but are having real difficulty finding in your area.   Do not be afraid or ashamed to ask for things, I just ask that you only request them if you really need them, and have run out of other options.

3.)  Any details can be worked out privately via PM, but note:  the intent of this thread is not for anyone to profit off items they have access to, and if we become aware that anyone is attempting to do so, you will be warned or otherwise.  Having said that, there is not an explicit expectation that all items must be provided completely free of charge.

With rules out of the way, I encourage anyone here to reach out for help, or to offer a helping hand.  Even the smallest of things can sometimes make the biggest difference in other people's lives, especially as so many are really struggling right now, or frustrated with the challenges they are facing due to COVID.   We are a community here, and I want everyone to get through this, and if there is anything we can do to help others here, we should at least try to do what we can.  Thank you!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

This is a great idea. 

My wife is in the medical field and she was having issues getting face masks because all the N95 ones were sold out everywhere.  She reached out to some people on facebook and they were able to get some cloth ones made for her and some of the people at her work.  Some hospitals don't even have the appropriate and necessary supplies available.

This is awesome.  Mainly looking for toilet paper here, assuming I'll find some eventually though.  Would happily pay cost/shipping/extra if folks find some during their shopping trips.

Here in Iowa we have most things and I shop every 2 weeks at Sam's club, if there is anything worth grabbing and shipping.  They have most things but the obvious - last trip saw diapers, wipes, formula, paper towels - of course mega size packages though.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:46 PM, BriGuy82 said:

Hey guys, one of my coworkers died today. He was in his late 30's and had a family including 4 kids. I'm linking his go fund me if anybody feels like donating to help his family. He worked in the hospital and sacrificed his life to help others. 

https://www.gofundme.com/f/we-stand-with-darell

Holy shit. I knew you were a Jersey boy but I had no idea we were this close in degrees of separation. I grew up in Morristown. I didn’t really know Darell, but he joked with me on the bus in grade school, and his younger brother was my first real friend. He and their parents showed much love and had a big impact on me early in life. I’m so sorry for their family and I know they are all such beautiful people. I donated yesterday. 

Edited by Link
  • Like 2

Administrator · Posted

@BriGuy82 and @Link --- Thank you for sharing this.  While it's incredibly sad and unfortunate, I was reading through the gofundme and also so many of the comments in there, and by all accounts he was a wonderful person.  Knowing that he quite literally sacrificed his life helping others during this crisis, is so incredibly meaningful, and I hope a reminder to all about both the seriousness of this pandemic, and the incredible risk people are taking every day.  It's easy to brush over all the 'numbers' and 'counts' about illnesses and deaths from COVID - and as people have discussions about how many tens of thousands of lives lost are 'acceptable,' it really hits home when you move from a macro-level view of this, to a micro-level, and think about even just 1 person and how important that one life is.

It is for people like Darell, and so many others, that I'm willing to make a few simple 'sacrifices' and be careful throughout this to potentially protect others from getting sick.  If I have to stay home a bit more often, or wear a mask out in public, or whatever the case may be - those are such easy and simple tasks, in the grand scheme of things, to potentially save lives.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Link said:

Holy shit. I knew you were a Jersey boy but I had no idea we were this close in degrees of separation. I grew up in Morristown. I didn’t really know Darell, but he joked with me on the bus in grade school, and his younger brother was my first real friend. He and their parents showed much love and had a big impact on me early in life. I’m so sorry for their family and I know they are all such beautiful people. I donated yesterday. 

Yeah, that was a tough one. Poor guy worked like 3 jobs. 

• Like 1