IGNORED

Disable the notifications popup

cartman

Every time i come to the site or click on some subforum i get told "VGS wants to send me notifications but i first need to go to my settings and turn on notifications". Every fucking time, over and over again. I have nowhere to disable it myself so i think VGS ought to find a way to adjust this issue so that it stops coming up.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Yeah this will be some setting on your end. Likely you've blocked cookies or something to that effect.

I've unticked everything that i can but to no avail. From what i understand this is built into the system and it happens to others too regardless of the browser, but no one else on here at VGS experiences the issue only me? I don't get it.

4 hours ago, Tulpa said:

I don't get those. Like, ever. Are you sure it isn't a cookie being blocked or something?

Nothing that i know of. I've always accepted cookies and that is a whole different type of popup anyway it doesn't resemble this one. I don't think they're connected.

Administrator · Posted
28 minutes ago, cartman said:

Nothing that i know of. I've always accepted cookies and that is a whole different type of popup anyway it doesn't resemble this one. I don't think they're connected.

Please share more details --- what device is this?  what browser is this?  what is the verbatim message?  My guess is, it is a browser-specific or device-specific issue and not a 'site' issue as I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem here, though I did some basic google searching and see many similar issues with steps to resolve.  

51 minutes ago, cartman said:

Take a screenshot of it. It's hard to tell what one you're talking about.

Other than notifications where I'm tagged or something, I don't get ANY popups from this site. And I very recently got a new computer, completely fresh when accessing this board, so if anything was going to get a "Hey set this notification business up, stranger" it'd be this one. Not a popup in sight.

Edited by Tulpa

12 hours ago, Tulpa said:

Take a screenshot of it. It's hard to tell what one you're talking about.

Other than notifications where I'm tagged or something, I don't get ANY popups from this site. And I very recently got a new computer, completely fresh when accessing this board, so if anything was going to get a "Hey set this notification business up, stranger" it'd be this one. Not a popup in sight.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/S1kZn2j"><a href="//imgur.com/a/S1kZn2j"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13 hours ago, spacepup said:

Please share more details --- what device is this?  what browser is this?  what is the verbatim message?  My guess is, it is a browser-specific or device-specific issue and not a 'site' issue as I haven't heard of anyone else with this problem here, though I did some basic google searching and see many similar issues with steps to resolve.  

Lenovo legion y520t-25ikl

Windows 10 with the Edge browser

1 hour ago, cartman said:

Lenovo legion y520t-25ikl

Windows 10 with the Edge browser

That could be your issue right there.  I've literally never used that browser on my laptop (HP Probook 650 G1) but went ahead and started it up just to see if I could get the same error.  No issue on my end using Edge, Chrome, or Firefox with the site, logged in or signed out.  Seems like it' might be something that's pre-configured on your end to try to pull notifications via cookies the way many other sites always ask, "[site] wants to send you notifications, do you accept?"  I've always declined those when they arise and don't see them again from the same sites (save when clearing cache/configuration data, at which point I decline and don't see them again).  What happens when you click "settings?"  Or have you always just hit the X and tried to ignore it?  If "settings" takes you to a new page on VideoGameSage.com, then it's a site issue.  If it pops open an Edge/Windows configuration screen, I'd say that's the smoking gun that it's on your end.

6 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

That could be your issue right there.  I've literally never used that browser on my laptop (HP Probook 650 G1) but went ahead and started it up just to see if I could get the same error.  No issue on my end using Edge, Chrome, or Firefox with the site, logged in or signed out.  Seems like it' might be something that's pre-configured on your end to try to pull notifications via cookies the way many other sites always ask, "[site] wants to send you notifications, do you accept?"  I've always declined those when they arise and don't see them again from the same sites (save when clearing cache/configuration data, at which point I decline and don't see them again).  What happens when you click "settings?"  Or have you always just hit the X and tried to ignore it?  If "settings" takes you to a new page on VideoGameSage.com, then it's a site issue.  If it pops open an Edge/Windows configuration screen, I'd say that's the smoking gun that it's on your end.

But Edge is comfortable and approachable for me i know Chrome and Firefox can do the same things and may perform better but i'm fond of Microsofts own shit. The design tends to be how i want it to be. There is a notifications area in the settings but that wich would seem reasonable to make an adjustment does nothing. Like "Get notifications from apps and other senders" - when i turn it off it does fucking nothing. It's like none of the settings there are related to this. I can't even accept or decline anything to begin with because what it asks is nowhere to be chosen.

Administrator · Posted

I tried on Edge and it doesn't seem to be the issue. 

When you go to Account Settings what does it look like? There's a browser notifications setting on there, you should be able to turn it off and your account should remember your choice, it doesn't look to be browser/cookie based at all.

image.png

On 4/17/2020 at 8:56 PM, Gloves said:

I tried on Edge and it doesn't seem to be the issue. 

When you go to Account Settings what does it look like? There's a browser notifications setting on there, you should be able to turn it off and your account should remember your choice, it doesn't look to be browser/cookie based at all.

image.png

Screenshot (56).png

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, cartman said:

I use Edge not Chrome

Oh right, my bad. Just woke up so memory is kinda sheeeeeety.

I tried it on Edge myself yesterday and it didn't ask, so I'm a bit at a loss. It's surely something to do with your browser and not the site regardless, and since I don't use Edge (nor would I ever suggest that anyone else use it) I'm afraid it's a case of ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

On 4/17/2020 at 3:44 AM, cartman said:

Screenshot (55).png

Ah ha! It is a browser issue. I used to get those same messages with Internet Explorer. I rarely used IE, but it had that same popup for other sites, since Edge is effectively IE with a shiny coat of paint.

It's not website dependent, so there's nothing for Gloves to adjust on VGS; it's on your end. Good luck, because I never really found out how to make it go away.

Stupid Microsoft. 😛

Edited by Tulpa