IGNORED

PC-Engine Mini Casual Review up on My Life in Gaming

RH

I know that the original PC Engine didn't have turbo switches on the controller, but considering that all other versions did, it's a little disappointing that they left them off.  My understanding is that they are also doing a Core Grafx mini in addition to the US TG16, both of which will have turbo switches, so I guess it's forgivable.  

17 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Also, I think it's funny that they did a mini version of one of the smallest gaming consoles ever made.  NEC was making "mini" consoles LONG before it was the cool thing to do. 😛

Yeah, I'd really like to see a side-by-side comparison.  There comparisons weren't specific enough.  It sounds like there's a small chance it's the same size as the original. 

4 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

Watched it last night.  It seems to me that they held back on criticism.  Maybe because they recently met M2 and did that video with them?

That was exactly how I felt.  As if they were disappointed in the end result but... really like either the NEC company, or maybe even M2.  It's hard to say your friends project sucked on the internet when you have a high degree of influence and reach.

Homebrew Team · Posted
11 minutes ago, RH said:

That was exactly how I felt.  As if they were disappointed in the end result but... really like either the NEC company, or maybe even M2.  It's hard to say your friends project sucked on the internet when you have a high degree of influence and reach.

It was a departure of how they normally do their analysis.  I think it was clear they were disappointed in the video options, audio lag, and input lag, but just they just didn't commit to outright saying it.  The video also lacked technical analysis, but that may be for the results they expect to be confirmed, negative.  

Yeah, they definitely feel disappointed. I think the key is that the audience for this mini is less casual than the others and they should have designed it with that in mind. It seems like they just threw in a bunch of games but didn’t try to cater to those wanting to replicate the original experience as faithfully as possible.

I plan on cancelling one of my two orders and just keep the one in a box.

• Like 1

While it wasn't the hardcore technical analysis that they've done in a number of videos, I think they still conveyed the shortcomings of the mini system well. And the simplicity and lack of video and audio settings in these mini consoles don't exactly lend themselves to that type of analysis anyhow. But yeah, "disappointed" is a good word to describe the way they talked about the lag and shimmer brought on by the console.

But I didn't see anything in the video that suggested that they were going easy on M2 because they're chummy with them. Beyond the shortcomings in the PC Engine they mentioned, they also brought up issues in M2's Genesis Mini. And Coury went so far as to call Lords of Thunder unplayable due to the lag. 

Basically, what I'm getting at is that there are many youtube channels where it's clear that that the hosts are "on the take" so to speak, where they're essentially giving a haphazard review that glosses over a product's shortcomings. But in no way is that the case in this video, nor any of My Life in Gaming's review videos that I've seen.

• 2 weeks later...
Homebrew Team · Posted
On 4/7/2020 at 10:29 AM, profholt82 said:

Basically, what I'm getting at is that there are many youtube channels where it's clear that that the hosts are "on the take" so to speak, where they're essentially giving a haphazard review that glosses over a product's shortcomings. But in no way is that the case in this video, nor any of My Life in Gaming's review videos that I've seen.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are on the take.  Maybe, went easier on them (just an opinion with no evidence).  It doesn't hurt my stance on their credibility though.