IGNORED

This may have nothing to do with the Coronavirus but the timing is just too close.

Tabonga

I just snapped to the fact that since this whole mess started we have pretty much stopped getting the mutlitudes of scam phone calls we  got previously - and we used to get lots - so many so that we just do not answer the phone* anymore.  I figure if it is important people will leave a message.

It was not unusual for us to get 10 or more scam (or questionable ones) calls a day.  Today we got two "one ring" scam calls and two calls with no message (which could have been anything).   Thinking back we just have not been getting them.

Anyone else notice a drop off of these plagues to genteel society?

(It is an ill wind that blows no good!)

*We just have a landline.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Probably call centers that aren't essential got shut down. Hard to maintain social distancing when you're jammed into a room with dozens of other people.

Shouldn't affect robo calls, though.

I have not been getting those either.   And I haven't been getting calls from "microsoft*" - i think those mostly came from overseas (as are the one ring scam calls).   There may be a dynamic I am just not catching here.

*I think they have a floor somewhere solely dedicated to monitoring my computer.

Edited by Tabonga

It's because most scam call centers are in India, Pakistan or Bangladesh. They're all shut down because of corona. Look up this prank YouTube channel called hoax hotel. Most of the scammers he calls are from those countries. If not those, then countries in Africa.

Events Helper · Posted

I had been getting a metric shit ton of these, like 40+ in one day before the "shutdown" of the world!!!!!!  The virus thing had become something by then, but not shutdown.........I resigned up for the no call list and i have received lots of text messages 😞.  Either way, I told one off not too long ago and havent received any actual calls since 🤣.  Just something I have observed is that when it all started they were hitting it hard, but then after the "shutdown" it has backed off.

I haven't got any phone calls from any of my (non-existent) grandchildren in quite awhile - they always want money because they have landed themselves in the hoosegow somewhere.   One of the poor waifs even managed to get his nose broken in the process - which is why he didn't sound like himself.  Those are the funniest to string along - all I have to do is act really befuddled (which seems to really interest them).   They all seem really confused though - they don't even know their name until I provide one for them.

Edited by Tabonga