IGNORED

New Paper Mario in the works; Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World getting HD ports to the Switch later this year

Teh_Lurv

3 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I’d be so happy if they redid Skyward Sword and cleaned up the controls. That killed it for me. 

I don't know if I'd buy that again as I'm played out on the overly long run old style Zelda, but i could not agree more, the controls really ruined that game, especially parts demanding precision sword/shield juggling which didn't work so well 1:1 as advertised.

7 hours ago, Foochie776 said:

I’d be so happy if they redid Skyward Sword and cleaned up the controls. That killed it for me. 

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I don't know if I'd buy that again as I'm played out on the overly long run old style Zelda, but i could not agree more, the controls really ruined that game, especially parts demanding precision sword/shield juggling which didn't work so well 1:1 as advertised.

Did it require Wii Motion Plus? In my experience, the plus upgrade really improved the fidelity and accuracy of the motion controls. I can only imagine what kind of amazing experences the Wii could have provided if that upgrade had been standard at launch.

Edited by DoctorEncore

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Did it require Wii Motion Plus? In my experience, the plus upgrade really improved the fidelity and accuracy of the motion controls. I can only imagine what kind of amazing experences the Wii could have provided if that upgrade had been stadard at launch.

Yes it was the game that pretty much peddled it outside of Wii Sports Resort which was a real shame.  The issue came with Garahim or whatever it's spelled, you had this very very small window of time and hit box to basically switch between the sword and the shield to hit the dude, and he made repeat appearances starting very early in the game.  I was endlessly fighting with the controls as I could rarely squeeze in the poke on the guy as it wouldn't behave.  I lost my temper and gave up on it, I'd just bottle up, fairies, whatever possible at that rate, and I'd just bum rush the dude with a shield bash and flail the sword and it worked, badly, but at least it worked, but I'd blow most my restores before he'd eat it.  I got fed up with it when other mechanics later in the game started getting sketchy so I quit playing.  It wasn't for the story, locations, or general play of the game, but when it got into those finicky let's show off 1:1 stuff it collapsed into a fury inducing nightmare.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yes it was the game that pretty much peddled it outside of Wii Sports Resort which was a real shame.  The issue came with Garahim or whatever it's spelled, you had this very very small window of time and hit box to basically switch between the sword and the shield to hit the dude, and he made repeat appearances starting very early in the game.  I was endlessly fighting with the controls as I could rarely squeeze in the poke on the guy as it wouldn't behave.  I lost my temper and gave up on it, I'd just bottle up, fairies, whatever possible at that rate, and I'd just bum rush the dude with a shield bash and flail the sword and it worked, badly, but at least it worked, but I'd blow most my restores before he'd eat it.  I got fed up with it when other mechanics later in the game started getting sketchy so I quit playing.  It wasn't for the story, locations, or general play of the game, but when it got into those finicky let's show off 1:1 stuff it collapsed into a fury inducing nightmare.

That sounds like a huge downer. The game always looked awesome, but I never got around to it and I never hear anyone talk about it.

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

The game turned into a collectothon at the end anyway. I'm over the old style of Zelda as well.

BOTW is where it needs to stay. I get that ppl want dungeons but they forget all the meaningless tasks that were so often mandatory to progress in Zelda games. Making everything optional is the future of gaming. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The game turned into a collectothon at the end anyway. I'm over the old style of Zelda as well.

BOTW is where it needs to stay. I get that ppl want dungeons but they forget all the meaningless tasks that were so often mandatory to progress in Zelda games. Making everything optional is the future of gaming. 

Pfft you got that right.  As they came along post Wind Waker I went less and less into them before I'd get just bored and shelve the game.  After that mess of a spinoff on 3DS of the old SNES game I was done with the series as it just sickened me they refused to evolve or change it in the least bit at the bones of it.  I had ignored BotW for a long time, but eventually started to read up a bit, and when I saw they tossed out the most re-tread and tired stuff from Zelda while keeping the general weapon concepts, and other staples intact I gave it a chance and now it's a favorite.  It makes me mad seeing all the self absorbed jerks online raging over it demanding the sequel dump it, go back to big complex dungeons, going from A to B to C doing the same tired crap again because they're comfy with it.  That needs to die.  Maybe make the little shrines a bit less little and a bit less of them, but the fact they evolved the world to each area of it being the actual dungeon itself, the big beast the mid-boss, the blight the boss made the game feel so refreshing and nice again...and that you could do it in any order and with so much amazing yet never boring exploration which the series all lacked.

10 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Maybe make the little shrines a bit less little and a bit less of them, but the fact they evolved the world to each area of it being the actual dungeon itself, the big beast the mid-boss, the blight the boss made the game feel so refreshing and nice again...and that you could do it in any order and with so much amazing yet never boring exploration which the series all lacked.

I feel like so many people overlooked that. Idk how. Also playing through on master mode, those bosses were hard as shit, mostly resulting in 2 hit KOs.

I hear a lot about the lack of story but it's from ppl who didn't try to follow the story. There are two main quests:

1) Find the memories

2) Defeat Gannon

Impa doesn't tell you to fight Gannon until you find all the memories. Until you find all the shrines of power, wisdom and courage and know why there are all those dead guardians by twin peaks and how link ended up in the shrine of resurrection. There's a ton of story in the fallen heroes and the Yiga Clan too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Pfft you got that right.  As they came along post Wind Waker I went less and less into them before I'd get just bored and shelve the game.  After that mess of a spinoff on 3DS of the old SNES game I was done with the series as it just sickened me they refused to evolve or change it in the least bit at the bones of it.  I had ignored BotW for a long time, but eventually started to read up a bit, and when I saw they tossed out the most re-tread and tired stuff from Zelda while keeping the general weapon concepts, and other staples intact I gave it a chance and now it's a favorite.  It makes me mad seeing all the self absorbed jerks online raging over it demanding the sequel dump it, go back to big complex dungeons, going from A to B to C doing the same tired crap again because they're comfy with it.  That needs to die.  Maybe make the little shrines a bit less little and a bit less of them, but the fact they evolved the world to each area of it being the actual dungeon itself, the big beast the mid-boss, the blight the boss made the game feel so refreshing and nice again...and that you could do it in any order and with so much amazing yet never boring exploration which the series all lacked.

Whaaaaa? A Link Between Worlds was great! I loved the way it eschewed the classic Zelda formula by letting you go wherever you wanted and do the dungeons in any order. There were also some really interesting changes to the gameplay like the ability to move from 2D to 3D.

The fact that it was successful despite deviating from the standard LoZ formula emboldened Nintendo to do something even more radical with BotW. And we all know how that turned out.

Regarding Zelda, I still like the old mechanic and they can keep doing the same old, same old and just add minor challenge upgrades.  But, I really, really like BotW too.  I think it would make sense to me to kind of rotate back and forth between the two styles.  You can evolve both mechanics.  You can make the old-style the "cutesy" zelda games, and make the newer, evolving modern type ones more and more realistic.

In other words, I think the combo of the Link's Awakening remake, and BotW on the Switch to be fantastic.  I get the best of both worlds.  That doesn't mean that all "old style" zelda games needs to be a remake, but still, they can keep both mechanics and still make a ton of money lot of people happy.

28 minutes ago, RH said:

Regarding Zelda, I still like the old mechanic and they can keep doing the same old, same old and just add minor challenge upgrades.  But, I really, really like BotW too.  I think it would make sense to me to kind of rotate back and forth between the two styles.  You can evolve both mechanics.  You can make the old-style the "cutesy" zelda games, and make the newer, evolving modern type ones more and more realistic.

In other words, I think the combo of the Link's Awakening remake, and BotW on the Switch to be fantastic.  I get the best of both worlds.  That doesn't mean that all "old style" zelda games needs to be a remake, but still, they can keep both mechanics and still make a ton of money lot of people happy.

Bingo.  I came here to say almost exactly the same thing.  I love and prefer the BOTW formula for Zelda games, but I also loved the modern take of Link's Awakening.  I honestly don't see why they can't do both types of games.  Open world BOTW style games along side with traditional linear Zelda games.  The traditional games don't have to be remakes.  You could make an all new Zelda game with the LA remake game engine and it would probably be amazing.

While we are on the subject, the same thing could be said for Mario.  Odyssey is a great game, but I'm still not in love with 3D Mario games.  But I don't see why they can't make 3D Mario games like Odyssey along side 2D games like a new installment of NSMB.  I know they brought NSMBU Deluxe to the Switch, but I want a new installment in that series.

And for the record, I realize that it probably sounds strange that I prefer the new modern 3D Zelda games and the old traditional 2D Mario games, but that's just how I am.  😛

I could get behind that.  I doubt I'd finish the Link's Awakening style stuff as it's played out, and I'd probably not even buy it unless it was a repaired remaster of something like Skyward Sword, and even that's sketchy. The new just works so much better.  I can go back and do the old, but paying up for that still after so long I can't do it anymore as I just get bored ever faster and stop as it's just not fun doing a re-run after so many times.

8 hours ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

3D World for Switch was listed on Best Buys website... Full price of course. 

I'll definitely buy that, no questions asked. I loved Mario 3D land on 3DS, and this was the main Wii U game I was waiting for to come to Switch.

As soon as they port over Pikmin 3, that's basically all the Wii U done then (apart from Star Fox Zero out of ten)! 😄

• 2 months later...
Editorials Team · Posted
5 hours ago, RH said:

Have I missed something?  I've heard nothing about this since the initial announcement.  I have a birthday coming up, and I really hoped my wife would be able to pick up Super Mario All-Stars 3D for me. 😤

They announced Paper Mario just outside of release, and the slate is empty after that.  So If assume we'll get more reveals or a Direct in the next month, several of which will be August and September titles

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 4/12/2020 at 1:50 PM, Tanooki said:

See I didnt think it was too bad, finicky but not horrible, but I was a bigger fan than most of Skyward Sword at the time, I purposely didnt read other peoples opinions of it while I was playing it cause I could just tell that people wouldnt like it.  It has flaws.   And just like you I'm all about the BOTW now and I havent played an old non-64 Zelda game since.  I'm literally scared to play Skyward Sword again especially just because I dont want the memory tarnished.

Anyway if they dont port Skyward Sword (I predict they will, though), theres one way you can overcome the sword fuckery, and thats through insect collecting and potions.  One of the best parts about the game and something that sets it apart from the others IMO is that there is quite a few options for making different potions, I dont remember it all exactly but you can imbue your blade, increase defense, im pretty sure theres one where youre invincible for a pretty generous amount of time.  All I know is that I beat final boss first try by just pooling a heavy amount of bugs into the best potions.  Also even though he is a good swordsman Girahim he's fragile so you dont even need the super goodest potions to gain a big advantage on him.

@KrunchWell I could see that.  I always have basically ignored Zelda reviews and mass coverage leading up to a game, kind of a rule as I figured out early on (1995-96) when the dawn of gaming media coverage online hit, every d-bag with an LLC was trying to ruin stuff with leaks, etc so I just would embargo stuff.  It bit me in the ass with that majora's atrocity, but I really never had an issue with a game after, not that I finished most after Ocarina other than Wind Waker a couple times.  They got long in the tooth and more played out.  SS had quirks, but the stuff that put me off it was moment of collect-a-thon asininity that TP bugged me with enough to stop eventually, but really it was more engaging and would have been something to maybe more likely finish, if not for the control.  I won't be running out day one for it, but I could see grabbing the game.

I just have too many unfinished more engaging and more than less new/never finished style packages on Switch to deal with still, some on 3DS too with random PC thrown in.  That excludes going old school into anything GB family related.  At this rate a Switch game better really blow my mind or I'm likely set for much of the year and SS isn't mind blowing.  Funny thing I still would like to take another crack at BotW, and the ONLY reason I haven't, those idiots gave it one save slot.

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@KrunchWell I could see that.  I always have basically ignored Zelda reviews and mass coverage leading up to a game, kind of a rule as I figured out early on (1995-96) when the dawn of gaming media coverage online hit, every d-bag with an LLC was trying to ruin stuff with leaks, etc so I just would embargo stuff.  It bit me in the ass with that majora's atrocity, but I really never had an issue with a game after, not that I finished most after Ocarina other than Wind Waker a couple times.  They got long in the tooth and more played out.  SS had quirks, but the stuff that put me off it was moment of collect-a-thon asininity that TP bugged me with enough to stop eventually, but really it was more engaging and would have been something to maybe more likely finish, if not for the control.  I won't be running out day one for it, but I could see grabbing the game.

I just have too many unfinished more engaging and more than less new/never finished style packages on Switch to deal with still, some on 3DS too with random PC thrown in.  That excludes going old school into anything GB family related.  At this rate a Switch game better really blow my mind or I'm likely set for much of the year and SS isn't mind blowing.  Funny thing I still would like to take another crack at BotW, and the ONLY reason I haven't, those idiots gave it one save slot.

Yeah at this point theres way more engaging stuff to play so im with you there.  I also felt SS was more engaging than TP, the latter of which took me 2 runs to get all the way through.  In both games, it was like the environments were expanded but still not quiiiite enough.  It can be hard to commit enough to get through the middle parts in all 3D Zelda games OoT - SS.  BOTW same here I dont feel that way, I'm still interested even though I'm on my third file (first was wii U), havent even beat the game yet on any of them, lol!  But I've started my third and final run now while keeping my other Switch file intact, gonna get the DLC too, basically I just do this by having 1 file each on two different user profiles on the Switch.  (Although I dont know the DLC implications, and thats the reverse reason why I did it.... ended up playing far on the file intended for my wife and taking it over before she had her own Switch.  I was worried about not being able to get the DLC since her file on my Switch isnt the acct file so I figured just restart.  I like to use my Amiibos in the early part of the game to enrich + amplify the practical value of the loot.)

If they make a Skyward Sword port I would get it and prob sell mine with the gold remote to offset it, same though not day 1.  But right now I'm moreso ready for New Pokemon Snap, and I might even have a go at Paper Mario Origami King despite the lukewarm reviews.

TP with me is love hate, more hate, but not like true distaste, just some bad design choices coupled with some near absolute apathy I have now for the classic format as I get more bored with it by the release in less hours.  The dark undertones, story, wolf link, the girl, really liked it all and it was a blast on Gamecube(Wii controls reuined it) but the glowy knight bits, the crazy high ball re-run collection of orbs like things, some wide open snoozy areas to traverse, all coupled with a 1992~ era save mechanic that could lose some serious progress from the last "door" you crossed pushed me over the edge.  SS didn't do much of this, most of its problems were the broke controls causing some real nightmare issues that should never have existed.  Not sure still I'd ever finish SS on Switch, but I do know I'd at least enjoy it until I get spent on it.  Probably I will get it on a deal for maybe $30-40 range second hand or a trade.  I can't see going all in on that game again knowing odds are I won't finish it and have other priority games, but I do want it.  I think the idea of using stick #2 as a sword interesting, i should mitigate the junk so called "plus" waggle that never behaved right.

You're right about the amiibo did they ever have a good function there for earlier times in the game when you're weak.  Speaking of those things, I see they're very hard to find most of them anymore.  Gamestop doesn't carry but a few and oddly stopped the second hand.  I recently decided I'd like to get a few back I had like 5 years ago I guess now and it looks like it's an ebay battlefield annoying.