IGNORED

New Paper Mario in the works; Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World getting HD ports to the Switch later this year

Teh_Lurv

4 hours ago, Red said:

I think Mario 64 holds up pretty well, so I don't really see the need for an updated version.  The motion controls in Mario Galaxy made it really hard for me to enjoy, so I'd love to see a port without motion controls (or with them being optional).

you know they are going to make you use the joycon pointers lol. Its the nintendo way!!! Something that could be cool and they eff it up. Like starfox zero. Gorgeous and tons of potential. I was so hyped to play it. Then we got those damn mandatory gyro crazy control scheme that really ruined it.

1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

you know they are going to make you use the joycon pointers lol. Its the nintendo way!!! Something that could be cool and they eff it up. Like starfox zero. Gorgeous and tons of potential. I was so hyped to play it. Then we got those damn mandatory gyro crazy control scheme that really ruined it.

It blows my mind that they wouldn't just patch the damn controls. Just goes to show how much they truly gave up on the U on the tail end of the life cycle. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 5:06 PM, cartman said:

Any physical releases for this?

My money is on yes.  Why?  Because Nintendo does physical for pretty much all of their main games.  Digital has not taken over yet.  But we have to wait for actual announcements first!

Edited by ErickRPG
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ErickRPG said:

My money is on yes.  Why?  Because Nintendo does physical for pretty much all of their main games.  Digital has not taken over yet.  But we have to wait for actual announcements first!

Yeah they did for the 25th Super Mario Anniversary so hopefully they will here too. 

On 4/3/2020 at 4:37 AM, Estil said:

is the keeping of all the Japanese voice acting with only English subtitles in the US version of MegaMan X6 is "Capcom getting beyond lazy"

What you'd rather have Mega Man X4 quality voice acting?

I get that it's hilarious and kinda legendary in retrospect. But it didn't exactly do anything good for the games.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sumez said:

What you'd rather have Mega Man X4 quality voice acting?

I get that it's hilarious and kinda legendary in retrospect. But it didn't exactly do anything good for the games.

You forgot about MegaGirl and Dr. Fudd in MegaMan 8 😄   Still, this and MegaMan X4/X5 were the first ever games I got for my first ever non-Nintendo console back in 2000-01 or so and I thought it was so cool to be playing "talkies" (games with actual voice acting/anime cut scenes and such (as the CD-ROM allowed a lot more room for them than a cartridge); even if some of the voices did sound funny).  All the more reason I really enjoyed the Legends trilogy when I got that from Capcom soon after (back then you could get either "three pack" for $50 new...those were the days...)

21 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

It blows my mind that they wouldn't just patch the damn controls. Just goes to show how much they truly gave up on the U on the tail end of the life cycle. 

how would they get around the fact you shoot star bits in mario galaxy without pointer controls you think? Just take it out of the game?

23 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

how would they get around the fact you shoot star bits in mario galaxy without pointer controls you think? Just take it out of the game?

They'll have to work around it if they leave it in or else it won't be compatible with the switch lite. Maybe hold a bumper button and use the right stick? 

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

forgot about that switch lite. Dont see the appeal of that thing.

Some people like a smaller console and don't like playing on the TV. It's cheaper and more portable. My wife has one and she's the perfect use case for it.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Neck cramp city playing portable all the time. TV is where its at.

She doesn't really play particularly long, and when she does she's usually lying down on her side. Asked her and she says it's not been an issue.

3 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Directly just use your finger on the touch panel would solve that.  The spin move which was a basic nudge of the wiimote could just map to a button, problem solved.

14 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

The pointer controls was exclusively a gimmick thing (like shoot characters to get a reaction, etc.), or a way to do give a second player something to do. It's not actually used anywhere in the game. You could easily take it out of the game with no consequences for the overall package. Or as @Tanooki mentioned, do keep it in, but keep it as an exclusive handheld feature on the touch screen.

The other motion controls (like the minigames, etc.) I imagine should work fine 1:1 with the Switch's existing motion controls.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

They have non motion control options for Odyssey, I think they can make it work.

I almost exclusively use my Pro Controller on my Switch.  The one gripe I have with Odyssey is that in some cases you almost have to use the motion controls.  There are some actions I've yet to figure out how you pull off with just the pro controller, and not a joycon.  I mean, you can kind of rotate or swing the pro and it sort of works, but it's wonky and the game was definitely not designed with that in mind.  At best it was a distant after thought.

15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Directly just use your finger on the touch panel would solve that.  The spin move which was a basic nudge of the wiimote could just map to a button, problem solved.

This isn't a bad idea.  I usually forget that's a touch screen and half way through a game, I'm often pleasantly surprised when I notice I can touch through a menu much faster than using a d-pad/analog stick.  That could work well with Galaxy.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I'm 100% portable and have never had a neck cramp

Its pretty common. Looking down at a screen for a long period of time. I dont envision anyone holding it up in front of their face to look at straight on

Edited by Quest4Nes

17 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Its pretty common. Looking down at a screen for a long period of time. I dont envision anyone holding it up in front of their face to look at straight on

I also play mostly on portables and have never had a problem with neck cramps. Honestly, I get that often playing games on TV, as I usually have to move around to stay comfy while trying to keep my head pointed toward a fixed position. Playing on portable devices is always way more comfortable for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cj_robot said:

I also play mostly on portables and have never had a problem with neck cramps. Honestly, I get that often playing games on TV, as I usually have to move around to stay comfy while trying to keep my head pointed toward a fixed position. Playing on portable devices is always way more comfortable for me.

Same. I've put over 400 hrs into handheld mode. Hand cramps happen but never neck cramps. 

On 4/4/2020 at 9:45 PM, Quest4Nes said:

Ah, Star Fox Zero.  Another game I'd like to see a port without motion controls.  I'd add Skyward Sword to the list as well.

As for Mario Galaxy, if they replaced the pointer controls with just tilting the controller, it wouldn't be so bad.  I might actually prefer something like that to using the analog to move the pointer.  I'd still want the spin move mapped to a button though.

On 4/9/2020 at 8:35 PM, Red said:

Ah, Star Fox Zero.  Another game I'd like to see a port without motion controls.  I'd add Skyward Sword to the list as well.

As for Mario Galaxy, if they replaced the pointer controls with just tilting the controller, it wouldn't be so bad.  I might actually prefer something like that to using the analog to move the pointer.  I'd still want the spin move mapped to a button though.

I’d be so happy if they redid Skyward Sword and cleaned up the controls. That killed it for me. 

• Like 1