IGNORED

New Paper Mario in the works; Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World getting HD ports to the Switch later this year

Teh_Lurv

35 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

Has anyone followed the references to see where this even came from and how credible it is? I'm pretty skeptical about this ever happening.

Well, Nintendo released the vague promise of re-releasing these games.  What that will look like, remains to be seen. So, we are almost certainly getting all of the early 3D titles.

We're in likely rumor territory still aren't we?

If this is to drum up a buy for Paper Mario, count me out, as other than the Gamecube release I find the entire series awful.

That said though, I'd be on board for SM64, Galaxy 1+2, Sunshine even too getting the treatment.  I just hope they don't squeeze people hard over it like the WiiU New SMB sticking hard at $60 still.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

Has anyone followed the references to see where this even came from and how credible it is? I'm pretty skeptical about this ever happening.

It's pretty much confirmed that multiple 3D Mario games are being prepped for re-release. This has been reported by numerous outlets with reputable sources and was even casually commented on by Jason Schreier of Kotaku. What we don't know is what format they will arrive in. One report suggested there could be a compilation containing numerous games while the others didn't specify.

Personally, I think there will be a compilation (64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1&2) and individual $60 releases for Super 3D World Deluxe and the new Paper Mario game.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I have a million ways to play old mario games. I dont need them on my switch. MAKE NEW GAMES! Put the resources into that. Such a shitty stretch of nintendo for me. If you dont like animal crossing like I despise it, then 2020 has been shit.

They better look amazing. Im just sick of all the re releases and ports advertised as these big hit releases. The switch is a new system. BRING ON THE NEW GAMES. Months and months of nothing. Nothing really truly new since luigi's mansion for me. I dont play pokemon or animal crossing or rpgs. All the mini direct showed was more of the same boring shit to me. Every nintendo system cycle has a period of just shit for me, and we are definitely in it for switch with this stretch of new releases lately. Mario Maker update would be nice. That game is prime to cash in on updates but they just wont do it. So much money to be made. Yet they devote time to remasters of old ass games that I have played and beat a 1000 times.

How about instead of re doing mario galaxy 1 and 2 you actually make a 3? and announce that to hold people over. 

Edited by Quest4Nes

3 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

MAKE NEW GAMES! Put the resources into that. Such a shitty stretch of nintendo for me.

Nintendo don't really have any shortage of new games.
Hell, the proclaimed topic here was that Nintendo are promoting a new Paper Mario one.

Considering the only other ever re-release of an otherwise incredibly iconic game like Super Mario 64 was on the DS, I do think one is overdue. And Mario Galaxy deserves proper HD. I'm not normally one for pointless "remasters", which are usually just lazy re-releases of games that came out on the previous generation a couple of years earlier. But this one I can kinda get behind.

In theory if this isn't some big smoke and mirrors bit as I know how I feel about rumors, and some may remember how I do too, but if this is real I think Doc Encore nailed it.  There's zero motive for a WiiU game to get a cut because that dumpster fire was hemorrhaging money like nothing else so games off that should not be expected to see a price cut, even a little one, because they never got to realize their profit or purchase potential in the least bit.  New SMBU Deluxe is a good rub it in the nose title that's still $60 and kept the U in the title kind of like a little f u to that system.  And obviously a new Mario game from the Paper side of things wouldn't be cheaper either.

Remasters or say HDMI upgrades at a minimum just converted, that's some Super Mario Allstars 2 style territory right there.  You could have a cute little menu for the 4 games, just like SMAS had 4 games too, and you pick what you want and play it from there.  Given the anniversary, the cool points involved in SMAS then, and then again on the 25th anniversary on Wii too as you may recall, it would make convenient sense.

• Like 1

I'm down if they don't charge full price for each game. I agree with Quest that Nintendo needs more new games. Not a fan of Pokemon or Animal crossing so I've been playing a lot more PS 4 now since many 1st party releases have been Wii U ports. I'd really love to play Bayo 3 or Prime 4 but who knows when the hell those games are coming out. Metroid willl probably be a 2022-2023 release at this point. Not exactly excited for a new Paper Mario game either since that series has been pretty dreadful since the first few installments and Color Splash is not all that old. 

1 hour ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I'm down if they don't charge full price for each game. I agree with Quest that Nintendo needs more new games. Not a fan of Pokemon or Animal crossing so I've been playing a lot more PS 4 now since many 1st party releases have been Wii U ports. I'd really love to play Bayo 3 or Prime 4 but who knows when the hell those games are coming out. Metroid willl probably be a 2022-2023 release at this point. Not exactly excited for a new Paper Mario game either since that series has been pretty dreadful since the first few installments and Color Splash is not all that old. 

Yeah, I hear you about Paper Mario. I never played the 64 or GameCube versions, but I did play Sticker Star and that game was absolute trash. If that was developed internally by Nintendo, I would go so far as to say it's one of the worst games they've ever made.

I really need to go and play the original games...

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

Yeah, I hear you about Paper Mario. I never played the 64 or GameCube versions, but I did play Sticker Star and that game was absolute trash. If that was developed internally by Nintendo, I would go so far as to say it's one of the worst games they've ever made.

Yes, definitely yes.  PLEASE do not base your opinion of the Paper Mario series on Sticker Star.  

38 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

Yes, definitely yes.  PLEASE do not base your opinion of the Paper Mario series on Sticker Star.  

Thankfully I've been fully informed that I played maybe the worst entry in the series, so if a new one comes out and people say it compares favorably to the old ones, I'm all in.

12 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

12 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

What tdirunner said. Sticker star doesn't even deserve to be called a game. What a pile of garbage

Edited by Makar

If they do a re-release of Mario All-Stars please do it right this time.  Don't just slap the original ROM on a Wii disc, wasting all that space on the disc, and call it a day.  That is about the laziest thing in video game history I've ever heard.  A close second, apparently to MegaMan Home Page, is the keeping of all the Japanese voice acting with only English subtitles in the US version of MegaMan X6 is "Capcom getting beyond lazy" 😛 

Edited by Estil

On 3/31/2020 at 7:11 PM, Tanooki said:

We're in likely rumor territory still aren't we?

The Paper Mario one has been floating about for a while, and from some pretty reliable sources. I would consider it all but confirmed at this point.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:09 PM, Quest4Nes said:

I have a million ways to play old mario games. I dont need them on my switch. MAKE NEW GAMES! Put the resources into that.

First off, it's Nintendo. Of course they're putting resources, and plenty of them, into making new games. Just because they announce/tease a rerelease of an old game doesn't mean anything is being taking away from new games.

Also it's not necessarily like making an updated HD port of a game is necessarily going to take that many resources. It's not like making a game from the ground up. It's also nice for those that can't necessarily get their hands on the old system and game that easily, if at all.

On 3/31/2020 at 11:09 PM, Quest4Nes said:

Such a shitty stretch of nintendo for me. If you dont like animal crossing like I despise it, then 2020 has been shit.

INORITE, Sucks how there haven't been a whole slew of new game releases this year! It's almost like it we've just barely passed the first 3 out of the 12 months this year or something 🤔

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Thanks 1

Rumor territory was for me talking about the old games being re-released all-stars style or however.  I have no doubt about Paper Mario, as they've been spamming that one for some years now and on the whole they're garbage.  The first one was abysmal with its XP system and overkill OCD level of perfection needed with timed hits to defend to stay alive.  The Gamecube game, is the sole great if not masterpiece game of the series and it was a pretty bad slide since.

I really hope they go all-stars on those old 4 titles, stuff them on a card and HDMI them.  Don't go crazy do as the Wii did, minimal effort other than a HDMI bump just so they can keep the price down in a combo package.  I'd order/buy that one day one on a physical piece of media no question.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Don't go crazy do as the Wii did, minimal effort other than a HDMI bump just so they can keep the price down in a combo package.  I'd order/buy that one day one on a physical piece of media no question.

Go crazy?  The Wii version did absolutely nothing besides have a tiny rom on that huge disc.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:52 PM, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

The Paper Mario one has been floating about for a while, and from some pretty reliable sources. I would consider it all but confirmed at this point.

First off, it's Nintendo. Of course they're putting resources, and plenty of them, into making new games. Just because they announce/tease a rerelease of an old game doesn't mean anything is being taking away from new games.

Also it's not necessarily like making an updated HD port of a game is necessarily going to take that many resources. It's not like making a game from the ground up. It's also nice for those that can't necessarily get their hands on the old system and game that easily, if at all.

INORITE, Sucks how there haven't been a whole slew of new game releases this year! It's almost like it we've just barely passed the first 3 out of the 12 months this year or something 🤔

whats coming the next few months first party? I havent seen much news besides this thread.

The last nearly year

Pokemon

Animal Crossing

Fire Emblem Three Houses

Link Remake & Luigis Mansion 3 (Ill buy these eventually, just not 50-60 dollar buys. (Not excited enough)

The last few months have not been "my kind" of nintendo.  Please Read. I said  "FOR ME" . Im glad others are happy with some of these games. I just think they have not been varied enough. Each Cycle of Nintendo system has a stretch of games that I just dont care about at all and it feels like they are all in a row. This is where we are now. The problem is with switch year 2 was dead and now we are getting this stretch. Been kind of a let down.

All i see are a bunch of 3rd party titles that I can buy on other platforms. I buy nintendo for nintendo and its been quite a few months for me to be excited about anything. 3rd party ports and titles do nothing for me.

Now Im hearing a bunch of games Ive played before. Seriously anything new would be great along the lines Mario Kart, Mario Golf, A New DK, mario baseball, a good starfox game, punchout, mario galaxy 3, wario land, So much that could be made. I havent been excited about a single title day 1 buy since Mario Maker 2. And I love nintendo. Im just tired of this all rpg type games stretch.  Even the Wii U once it hit its stride it felt like I was looking forward to a new game every 3-4 months before they announced the switch and everything stopped for a year and was converted to switch releases. I just figured it has been way long enough to have a good constant first party mixture of games coming out by now. The directs lately have been all RPG, pokemon, animal crossing based. Just does not appeal to me at all.

Edited by Quest4Nes

21 hours ago, Estil said:

Go crazy?  The Wii version did absolutely nothing besides have a tiny rom on that huge disc.

I'm well aware of that.  I didn't have a problem with it either.  I liked the simplicity of the bundle along with the added goodies in the box.  I'd like to see just that happen again on the Switch card.  HDMI the older titles, giving us the output you'd see of a N64 emulator on Super Mario 64 running at 720p as it's beautiful.  By going in and having things redone, redrawn, re-this and that opens the door to exploitation of single release titles at $50-60 a piece which would be intolerable.

I think Mario 64 holds up pretty well, so I don't really see the need for an updated version.  The motion controls in Mario Galaxy made it really hard for me to enjoy, so I'd love to see a port without motion controls (or with them being optional).

10 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

You missed some.

Pokemon mystery dungeon

Dragon quest XI S

Daemon X machina

Astral Chain - big oversight here tbf

Marvel ultimate alliance 3

I own astral chain. Got it in a buy 2 get 1 free deal.  Even though we have some exclusives there  not really the nintendo first party im talking about. pokemon and dragon quest like I said, rpgs are not my thing and thats whats been in cycle the past near year

Edited by Quest4Nes