IGNORED

New Paper Mario in the works; Mario 64, Sunshine, Galaxy, 3D World getting HD ports to the Switch later this year

Teh_Lurv

Multiple outlets in the gaming industry are reporting that Nintendo is planning on releasing HD ports of Super Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine, Super Mario Galaxy, & Mario 3D World are getting the Switch HD port treatment. These re-releases are to drum up hype for a new entry in the Paper Mario series.

Edited by Teh_Lurv

50 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I never played 3D World or Galaxy. 

Galaxy is a must play. It defines an era of gaming. It set the standard for platforming and made Mario reclaim the spotlight for the rest of the lifespan of the Wii. While I would argue although Sunshine wasn't a bad game it didn't have the impact on the gaming landscape that Galaxy had, for various debatable reasons. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

That all sounds great, but if they want to drum up excitement for a new Paper Mario game, they should make HD remakes of PM and TTYD.  

Also, if they really want to get people excited, they should announce that the new Paper Mario game will have similar gameplay to PM and TTYD.  

I played TTYD first (it was the reason I even bought a Gamecube back when it was new).

When I finally got around to playing the original, it felt like a crude prototype that really had nothing to offer over TTYD.

I think a great method for them to take would be to just make another Paper Mario game in that style, with the same kind of generational improvements that makes the predecessor feel like an early beta release...

(and while I enjoyed Super Paper Mario, it definitely didn't succeed at doing what i'm referring to above)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

I played TTYD first (it was the reason I even bought a Gamecube back when it was new).

When I finally got around to playing the original, it felt like a crude prototype that really had nothing to offer over TTYD.

I think a great method for them to take would be to just make another Paper Mario game in that style, with the same kind of generational improvements that makes the predecessor feel like an early beta release...

(and while I enjoyed Super Paper Mario, it definitely didn't succeed at doing what i'm referring to above)

This will sound strange, but I played Super Paper Mario first.  I loved the game and made it about 90% into the game before I had to take a break due to other things in life.  My break from it was so long that I felt lost trying to pick it back up from where I left off.  However, instead of starting the game over from scratch, I decided to start the series from the beginning.  So Paper Mario ended up being the first game that I played through to completion (I actually did it as part of the beat all N64 games in a year challenge).  I loved the game so much, I immediately went straight into TTYD.  I loved that game as well.  Both games are still today my favorites for their respective consoles.  At the time, I favored PM over TTYD, but in hindsight, I think that was because I had a little bit of burnout with TTYD since I played them back to back.  Looking back on it, I have more positive memories of TTYD.  I eventually got around to starting SPM again and finishing it, but I agree that it isn't nearly as good as the first two.  Those 3 are the only Paper Mario games that I've played (although I own the rest).  

I definitely want to go back and play PM and TTYD again.  I think both games could be successful on the Switch.   However, if they never get around to remaking them, the good thing is that the "paper" graphic style ages very well.  Both games still look great today on their original consoles.    

1 hour ago, DoctorEncore said:

This is great news. I never played 3D World or Galaxy. Hopefully Galaxy comes as a two-pack though; I've heard the sequel is even better than the original.

What a time to be alive.

Eh. The sequel is very good, but the first game is pretty much perfect. I still like it the best.
Galaxy is such an amazing masterpiece. It also looks amazing, but it would be nice to be able to witness it outside of the Wii's muddy graphics hardware. 

4 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Also, if they really want to get people excited, they should announce that the new Paper Mario game will have similar gameplay to PM and TTYD.  

True. Though honestly I really wouldn't mind another Super Paper Mario! It's about it.

I've spent most of my time here talking about Paper Mario, but the news of the other games is interesting as well.  

While I played and beaten every 2D Mario game out there, the ONLY 3D Mario game that I've played for more than a few minutes is Odyssey.  I've always wanted to get around to the others, but maybe HD remasters of those games on the Switch might get me to actually do it.  

It makes me wonder how they will release them.  I'm thinking individual games priced at $60 each. 

34 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I've spent most of my time here talking about Paper Mario, but the news of the other games is interesting as well.  

While I played and beaten every 2D Mario game out there, the ONLY 3D Mario game that I've played for more than a few minutes is Odyssey.  I've always wanted to get around to the others, but maybe HD remasters of those games on the Switch might get me to actually do it.  

It makes me wonder how they will release them.  I'm thinking individual games priced at $60 each. 

Yeah, I feel like the price will definitely be $60 a pop for the newer stuff, but maybe 64 and Sunshine will slide in at $30-40... 🤞🤞🤞

Edited by DoctorEncore

2 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

but maybe 64 and Sunshine will slide in at $30-40... 🤞🤞🤞

Yeah, hard to say for sure.  We already know that a REMAKE of a Game Boy game costs $60.  But maybe remasters will be slightly cheaper.  I would be truly amazed and surprised if they grouped them together in a fashion similar to Super Mario All Stars.  

Nintendo has done that several times before. Remember when they casually released Ocarina of Time as a free bonus with Wind Waker, or when they shortle thereafter decided to just give away discs with a compilation of classic Zelda games for free.

Though they are very good at retaining the value of old titles, they've never been shy of providing them in weirdly good deals when re-releasing them. They also had that string of WiiU virtual console releases that sold for $1 the week following their initial release.

1 hour ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Looks like there could be a Super Mario Allstars 2 with Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1&2

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/super_mario_35th_anniversary_rumours_intensify

Man, that would be up there with The Orange Box as one of the best values in gaming history.

I doubt a "Allstars 2" would include 64, Sunshine, and both Galaxy games... it's be at best 2 of the 4, probably 64 and Sunshine with like, either a couple handheld ones ported in or spinoff mario titles... though even then would be pretty neat. Then Galaxy 1&2 would be paired with like, New SMB Wii or something for some Allstars Wii Pack or something

Also super hype for new Paper Mario, TTYD one of my alltime favorite games. Super Paper Mario underrated.

8 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Looks like there could be a Super Mario Allstars 2 with Mario 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy 1&2

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/03/super_mario_35th_anniversary_rumours_intensify

God I really hope they call it that. 

6 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Man, that would be up there with The Orange Box as one of the best values in gaming history.

Lol, Orange Box wouldn't even be close XD

Edited by Sumez
  • Haha 1

yeah Orange Box isn't even close.  1 game and a couple small expansions and portal.  This would literally be 4 of the best 3d games ever released.  It's value is times Nine THOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUsaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnduhduhduhduhduhhhhhhHHHH.