IGNORED

Movie Debate #10: Whiplash

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

13 members have voted

1. 1. See below for explanation of ratings

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite movies of all time. Top 10.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking movie. Everyone should watch it.
    • 8/10 - Great movie. Maybe one of the best released that year.
    • 7/10 - Very good movie, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy the occasional watch, or tune in if you happen to catch it on cable.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to watch.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Not your cup of tea at all. Some people might like this, but you are not one of them.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Citizen Kane of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your retinas than watch this.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm already a massive fan of J.K. Simmons, and seeing a movie give him carte blanche to act his heart out like this was a delight!

You could make arguments against Whiplash in terms of the comically overdramatic way it deals with a subject like a music school, and I think it's interesting to watch a rebuttal to the movie such at this, which completely takes apart the entire concept the story is based on:

So his argument is that it's a sports movie. And for a person like me, who has even less interest in sports than I have in jazz drums, I don't care. Even if the movie was completely true to the real world, it wouldn't be any less fiction to me. And to be honest, I'm actually surprised by how much the movie got right.
Either way, everything it sets up is completely believable, and that itself is incredibly impressive. I'm kept with my suspension of disbelief the entire way through, and I was completely captivated.

9/10, everyone should absolutely go see this movie now if they haven't.