IGNORED

Animal Crossing: New Horizons!

Skorp

This game should have its own thread as I am sure many of you are playing this right now. So, how's everyone's island going along? Enjoying the game as expected? Not so much?

Well, I LOVE it. So much better than the Gamecube version just very fresh overall. Here is how mine looks like so far. Cozy inside, crazy outside. xD Yeah I don't know why I just started to keep one of each fish and bug and it just grew and grew. Will figure it out eventually. Just a perfect game for this quarantine going on.

EEUrmzD.jpg

lOkB07Pl.jpg

I wish I could add more but I'm working supposedly at the moment.  I'll just paste what I had in the Switch thread as it makes more sense here.

Well I put a lot of hours as I could on it so far with Animal Crossing as it came a day early.  I find it far more captivating than the original.  The fact they went all in yet in a friendly less obnoxious way about some things, and adding that crafting and upgrade mechanic to the mix really gets it some legs to enjoy it more.  The fact you need to earn what was once given like the museum and so on is awesome as it makes it feel more awesome really doing it yourself.  So far I've got the tools but can not find a shovel.  I accidentally stripped the weeds and stones, so I can't craft any of that stuff at all from the area I have access to until I get a pole to vault with (or a bridge to build.)

I did get the fast tool option, the better clothes making, the lv2 tool kit recipes which none I can make (wtf where's the iron ore??)  I've made good bank enough to get quite a few things in bells and miles and have a house coming I guess tomorrow, Blathers too.  I setup a little outdoor area for my home with a small fire, sleeping bag, a tire to sit on, and a tiki lantern.  Also made another bonfire and put it on the western coast where I have this nice rock platform that has a little tide pool on it also put a birdhouse over that way to see what happens as well.

It was pretty fun also doing many of the chores to get more miles with fishing, shell selling, plant and watering, etc.  I really hope the game opens up a good bit more tomorrow.  I even did some mail order for a floating plant thing, a record player, and a KK tune to enjoy.

--

I can't wait to try it today, see if I can get somewhere with more of the island, or at least to get my mail order goods and some KK jams on that record player.

I'm loving it so far. Really only get to play at night since I am an essential worker in the pharmacy world and we're working 12 hour shifts of 2 on, 2 off atm. Anyone create their island in the southern hemisphere? I'd love to come visit to bug hunt and fish.

Edited by 8-bit_boice

I picked up my copy on Friday but didn't get to start playing until Sunday. Been at it whenever I have free time since then. I'm glad I can play the Switch in handheld mode because sometimes the only way I can play is while I watch my kids in the living room, and thankfully my kids enjoy watching as long as I let my son play occasionally. 

I know this doesn't mean much since I was already a big time AC fan but this is my favorite game on Switch so far. lt's also interesting how much is different already in the first few days - [SPOILER ALERT] no Isabelle, no Rover, no train, beetles don't hang off tree trunks, I haven't seen a single shark, no Copper or Booker, Joan has been replaced by her granddaughter?, and there's easily a bunch more I could mention. I mean each game in the series introduced some changes but this one has a lot that changes the formula. I'm also curious to see how the people who hate item degradation in BotW respond to it in this game. Oh, and did anyone notice that the Nook Miles Ticket is a straight up roguelike experience? I love it. We finally have a feature that allows us to lay waste to an island without any consequences whatsoever. 

Anyway, I've already done the following as of last night (3 days of play): 

• Upgraded my house a second time
  • Built Nook's Cranny
  • Have the museum about to open
  • Have 3 resident houses added and about to open
  • Have a bridge ready to be built
  • Have like 20 more bugs and fish waiting to be donated to the museum
  • Have the vault pole, ladder, etc. 

Snapped some pics too! 

tiny_beach.thumb.jpg.e1debb95887b74757373d856d65019f4.jpg

My island has some cliffs along the back edge and after unlocking the ladder I found a tiny secret beach behind them!

bugs.thumb.jpg.a7f6c6feb372368962071c18dd636129.jpg

Here's my house at the end of the day while the museum still hasn't opened.

tarantula.thumb.jpg.8a26cb7fcb7cb19b9383439b181f39d4.jpg

Took me three tries to catch a tarantula. I remember this being a real ordeal in previous games. Had to Leeroy Jenkins the little guy. 

sturgeon.thumb.jpg.1e835c1f534ea97d65a08e89f4d2bf82.jpg

Biggest fish I've caught so far... I miss the sharks though!

19 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Do you mean like, does it have voices? The characters do all have unique voices, but speak like The Sims.

Yeah, if all the direction and dialogue is given via text. Essentially would my kids who aren't yet strong readers know what they are doing?

38 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Yeah, if all the direction and dialogue is given via text. Essentially would my kids who aren't yet strong readers know what they are doing?

It would be difficult, but then again, it would also be a very nice way of improving and learning to read. The in-game text is fairly simple and very easy to read.

But it would absolutely be difficult in the beginning.

5 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

I picked up my copy on Friday but didn't get to start playing until Sunday. Been at it whenever I have free time since then. I'm glad I can play the Switch in handheld mode because sometimes the only way I can play is while I watch my kids in the living room, and thankfully my kids enjoy watching as long as I let my son play occasionally. 

I know this doesn't mean much since I was already a big time AC fan but this is my favorite game on Switch so far. lt's also interesting how much is different already in the first few days - [SPOILER ALERT] no Isabelle, no Rover, no train, beetles don't hang off tree trunks, I haven't seen a single shark, no Copper or Booker, Joan has been replaced by her granddaughter?, and there's easily a bunch more I could mention. I mean each game in the series introduced some changes but this one has a lot that changes the formula. I'm also curious to see how the people who hate item degradation in BotW respond to it in this game. Oh, and did anyone notice that the Nook Miles Ticket is a straight up roguelike experience? I love it. We finally have a feature that allows us to lay waste to an island without any consequences whatsoever. 

Anyway, I've already done the following as of last night (3 days of play): 

• Upgraded my house a second time
  • Built Nook's Cranny
  • Have the museum about to open
  • Have 3 resident houses added and about to open
  • Have a bridge ready to be built
  • Have like 20 more bugs and fish waiting to be donated to the museum
  • Have the vault pole, ladder, etc. 

Snapped some pics too! 

tiny_beach.thumb.jpg.e1debb95887b74757373d856d65019f4.jpg

My island has some cliffs along the back edge and after unlocking the ladder I found a tiny secret beach behind them!

bugs.thumb.jpg.a7f6c6feb372368962071c18dd636129.jpg

Here's my house at the end of the day while the museum still hasn't opened.

tarantula.thumb.jpg.8a26cb7fcb7cb19b9383439b181f39d4.jpg

Took me three tries to catch a tarantula. I remember this being a real ordeal in previous games. Had to Leeroy Jenkins the little guy. 

Biggest fish I've caught so far... I miss the sharks though!

Very nice! Loving it. Yeah that Tarantula is tough to get!

Ah Isabelle is my favorite AC character. That sucks. 😞

Edited by Skorp

I’m very much enjoying it. I played the hell out of Wild World on DS, but not so much New Leaf on 3DS.

My favorite part of the series has always been filling up the museum, and they went all out with this one. The fish section is really fun, but the best by far imo is the fossil section. It’s a journey through time as the first room is filled with the most primitive fossils, the next room dinosaurs, and the final room the distant ancestors of every villager type including humans. It’s really amazing how they went all out for this aspect of the game.

As for the sturgeon, that was my first big fish too. But try doing some fishing out by the ocean for the big shadows. Even if you keep getting sea bass, football fish, and olive flounder. There’s something special out there right now. Keep trying...

Edited by The Strangest

I'm enjoying it too! Have the Museum, Nooks Cranny, my first bridge, two new neighbors and should have a third tomorrow for a total of 5 inhabitants besides me, and I'm paying off my third house expansion now. I have a little hidden beach too! I haven't caught anything exotic yet. Several Red Snappers, but nothing crazy. I have yet to catch that damn tarantula either. Having a lot of fun.

I started with pears, and have sonce added apples and coconuts. This is my first AC game ever. Don't know why I never tried one before but glad I got this one.

• Like 1

UGH how are you guys doing so well at this?  it's supposed to be a fairly chill relax game but I'm like stalled out.

I can't seem to get any iron so I can't make the shop.  I do have the museum under construction for tomorrow.  For the life of me I can not catch spiders and bees, keep getting destroyed which wasn't an issue in past games either.  Oddly I had no rocks  in my town today so I couldn't pick up stones which sucked.  I did grab some fossils and sold a few fish and shells for some of those nook miles too.  I'll go back into it shortly but I feel kind of trapped since I can't seem to develop anything.  I have a house, the other two in town are still rocking tents.

Also my strange land not only has a central island basically due to rivers, but I also have this rear of te island like 20% of it that's up on a ridge and I can not access it at all.  IT feels like either I should be able to make stairs at some point or a design flaw and I have a smaller place to play in which I can't quite figure out yet.  The edges of my island though does have a few neat little rock slabs with what appear to be tide pools, but not yet have they spawned any trapped things to net if it does this.

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

UGH how are you guys doing so well at this?  it's supposed to be a fairly chill relax game but I'm like stalled out.

I can't seem to get any iron so I can't make the shop.  I do have the museum under construction for tomorrow.  For the life of me I can not catch spiders and bees, keep getting destroyed which wasn't an issue in past games either.  Oddly I had no rocks  in my town today so I couldn't pick up stones which sucked.  I did grab some fossils and sold a few fish and shells for some of those nook miles too.  I'll go back into it shortly but I feel kind of trapped since I can't seem to develop anything.  I have a house, the other two in town are still rocking tents.

Also my strange land not only has a central island basically due to rivers, but I also have this rear of te island like 20% of it that's up on a ridge and I can not access it at all.  IT feels like either I should be able to make stairs at some point or a design flaw and I have a smaller place to play in which I can't quite figure out yet.  The edges of my island though does have a few neat little rock slabs with what appear to be tide pools, but not yet have they spawned any trapped things to net if it does this.

You have to visit other islands and knock out the rocks in each one. It will add up as each island is new so you can get more and more. I used up my miles for a ticket to visit the other islands. I am at 26 right now so hopefully tomorrow I can finally get that shop. Yeah, that is the only item that is hard to find. Super scarce as you end up using it pretty often.

I am curious anyone want to do some island visiting. I haven't tried it yet and am wondering how it works with online/player islands? I downloaded the friend app, but when it searches online it cannot find anyone.

Edited by Skorp

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

You have to visit other islands and knock out the rocks in each one. It will add up as each island is new so you can get more and more. I used up my miles for a ticket to visit the other islands. I am at 26 right now so hopefully tomorrow I can finally get that shop. Yeah, that is the only item that is hard to find. Super scarce as you end up using it pretty often.

I am curious anyone want to do some island visiting. I haven't tried it yet and am wondering how it works with online/player islands? I downloaded the friend app, but when it searches online it cannot find anyone.

I actually took the one he had given me for those tickets, bought 3 more too.  I now will have 3 known favorites from oldschool AC showing up tomorrow which was cool.  The 4th and last had no one, but it had 4 rocks and a ton of bamboo plus 5 chutes I picked up and planted back on my place near my home trying to create a look.  I put my home in this spot since I couldn't get in the middle area I mentioned along a creek run up right against the only pond on the island behind it which has a thin strip and there went the bamboo.  Just south is the coast, put in 4 palms earlier and setup a campsite which rocket the gorilla I caught using doing some hand warming by the fire.

I finally got the iron I wanted, that shop will go up in a couple days I guess if the museum is any indication.  I also went and made a true axe and shovel so they break far less often and also this standing mirror I found a recipe for in a bottle which now allows for more (person)al options to be unique.

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Did you end up smashing the rocks with your shovel? Just asking since you said you had none. If that’s the case one rock will respawn each day.

As for the iron, if you go to the deserted islands enough times you’ll be swimming in it. I’m actually finding that it’s clay that I can’t find enough of.

Actually I ended up using a stone axe to bash them to bits.

How much work/hours must one though apply to get to those islands?  It seems you can only buy your way in using those nook tickets and they're definitely not cheap.  I have a bit of clay, not a huge amount, yet I do find of all the kinds of lumber straight wood seems to come up least for whatever reason.

So I have been playing a lot and love it!!

my technique for island hopping is as follows.

Start the day, explore my isle and do the tasks on the nook phone that I can while looking for fossils to dig and rocks to hit with my shovel (if you wedge yourself between holes you make or natural landscaping you can get 8 items per rock. Usually stone, iron or clay spawn but theres a money rock too. I often get lost doing this as I am attention defficent and end up distracted fishing and collecting bugs.

After doing as many nook miles as I can I get a ticket and go repeat on the random island, and strip it of as many resources as possible, and then fish or catch bugs until I have a full pack. 

Also if you find the glowing diggable spot on your isle that has 1k bells in it you can plant up to 10k (10k is the max even though it will let you put more there won't be more than 10k per bag) and make a money tree! You can only harvest once but easy way to turn 10k to 30k.

The biggest fish I have caught so far are oarfish, sturgeon, blue marlin, coeclanth. I want some summer sharks!! I hope they're still in the game.

Really the gold tools are breakables in this I'm reading that right?  That's crap.  Has anyone figured out the amount of whacks/uses each thing has before it snaps from being flimsy, stone, normal, etc?  I've gone as far as a normal axe and shovel, but it felt like a waste of supplies otherwise on the rest, and the axe commonly used is stone because the other drops a tree and I need supplies.

Today I hit it for some hours this evening.  Yesterday I think I said I hit many islands and got 3 people to come.  Little did I know just how much the lazy depravity of Nook really was.  I walk into his little shanty of a tent and it scripts me into having to not only place the homes (I do like that for organization) but the lazy slob makes a bunch of promises he can't keep and I get to be his personal slave or the three I met won't show up.  I spent probably an hour or so rounding up all the supplies to make 18 pieces of indoor and outdoor furniture for this and got it knocked out.  Thankfully I do have a ladder and can see my island, and I put a nice large fence around my property to keep things nice and the last few I bracketed the plaza where I stuffed a few flowers off each corner so it looks nice.

About that upper part of the island, all I can say is I have this really breathtaking(for the game) location with pines, a mini falls, and a pond up there and it annoyed me to no end I can't put my house up there.  I'd love to have that place with a view and off the beaten path.  Maybe they allow house moving later...or not?  I did hold onto a gold nugget(my 2nd) and a goldfish too I'll drop in on the shop when it is open as i want my money, all of it.  It will be nice to double the population of the island and see how that plays out with those classic characters.  Also gulliver showed up, did some digging for the nutty bird so I have mail on that coming too.  And finally mail order was nice, another KK beat but also some fake oakleys, 8ball shirt, and one other piece of personal gear I'll like swapping into too.

On 3/27/2020 at 8:54 AM, drxandy said:

Also if you find the glowing diggable spot on your isle that has 1k bells in it you can plant up to 10k (10k is the max even though it will let you put more there won't be more than 10k per bag) and make a money tree! You can only harvest once but easy way to turn 10k to 30k.

Whoa now that's a nice tip! Will try that tomorrow.

Got the shop and extra room this morning! Caught some long ass fish like the Oarfish and Sturgeon. This game keeps getting better and better. I am hooked just like I was with Pokemon Sword. Just want to play this all day. Right now having to build a bridge for 3 people coming. Will post a pic of an updated island soon!

Well this game has officially pissed me off. I decided to buy it and let my 6 year old start the account. Now the only progress that can be made is on his account. He just wants to run around and build garbage furniture like barbells. Very annoying that I can't use my character who was created 2nd to actually do anything, just put stuff in my house and collect materials. Dumb...

• Thanks 1
  • Wow! 1