IGNORED

Which series' did the SNES improve? Which didn't it?

Nintegageo

I think the SNES improved most series' than the NES, but there are others that I do not. Curious to see what others think.
In my opinion..

SNES - Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Earthbound had the better game(s) on the SNES.

NES - Contra, Kirby, StarTropics (😪), Ninja Turtles, Punch-Out had the better game(s) on the NES.

What are your opinions?

• Like 2

Events Helper · Posted
6 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

I think the SNES improved most series' than the NES, but there are others that I do not. Curious to see what others think.
In my opinion..

SNES - Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Earthbound had the better game(s) on the SNES.

NES - Contra, Kirby, StarTropics (😪), Ninja Turtles, Punch-Out had the better game(s) on the NES.

What are your opinions?

I love about all these games, still havent played earthbound...........This could be a post I agree with the most 🙂 lol

TMNT IV is possibly the game I have beaten the highest # o times, and I agree it's amazing but it is just way too easy and short. I do admit is was a tough choice, heck Castlevania I remain undecided as a choice and didn't know whether comparing Mega Man and Mega Man X was do-able since the SNES has their own Mega Man game as well.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
4 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

TMNT IV is possibly the game I have beaten the highest # o times, and I agree it's amazing but it is just way too easy and short. I do admit is was a tough choice, heck Castlevania I remain undecided as a choice and didn't know whether comparing Mega Man and Mega Man X was do-able since the SNES has their own Mega Man game as well.

Now i am intrigued......I have never played turtles in time, too bad it looks spensive CIB which is what i go for 😞  I will look it up tho. based on your thread here 🙂 

I know it gets shit on but i love the OG turtles and turtles 2 was pretty damn fun 🙂 

Edited by Jeevan

25 minutes ago, Nintegageo said:

+1 . Mega Man and Castlevania were my first two thoughts when I saw the title of the thread. 

Mega Man X-X3 fuhgeddaboudit.

Don't get me wrong, I am glad there are Castlevania games on the SNES, but the ones on the NES games felt like the whole package and the SNES one's not so much. 

1 hour ago, Nintegageo said:

In my opinion..

What are your opinions?

Contra, Kirby, Punchout - agreed.

Practically any and all 1st Party Nintendo Games. However I don't think Legend of Zelda would be the all-time classic it is today without Link to the Past; I remember hearing about it and playing it back in the day with just the NES, and the original is a classic but it wasn't quite the levels of Mario, Castlevania, etc until then. With the SNES the series became the everlasting powerhouse it is today.

• Like 2

Events Team · Posted
4 hours ago, Nintegageo said:

Oh man, I'm so sharing that tear with you on the Startropics games, how could they just let that die on the NES! I guess the fact it wasn't even released on the Famicom played a big role in this, but still, these are some of the best games in the NES library, the potential for a SNES sequel was 100 % there.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, guillavoie said:

Oh man, I'm so sharing that tear with you on the Startropics games, how could they just let that die on the NES! I guess the fact it wasn't even released on the Famicom played a big role in this, but still, these are some of the best games in the NES library, the potential for a SNES sequel was 100 % there.

One of the first games i wanted to buy!!!!!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Estil said:

How did the SNES improve or not improve Startropics?  I mean after the two NES games it was never heard from again, so it never got a chance to improve or not improve.

It doesn't make sense to include StarTropics, agreed.

I thought Kirby Super Star on SNES was widely regarded as one of the best in the entire series?

One major change that the SNES brought to the table was the ability to show more and bigger sprites, and it was utilized to the fullest even among series that usually had smaller sprites. I think Castlevania is probably the most obvious example here.

What most devs didn't really consider is that the main character's size on the stage actually has a surprisingly huge impact on the gameplay in classic action "sidescrollers", and as such I think those games are the ones that suffered the heaviest. There's a certain genre/niche on the NES that just stopped existing on the SNES. The "compact action man" game akin to Power Blade, Ninja Gaiden, VICE: Project Doom, etc. In fact the only one I can think of that really comes close on the SNES is Majyuuou, which also has surprisingly small sprites for the platform.
Meanwhile, adventure/exploration centric games, where world building and presentation are central, greatly improved from both dev experience and the increased fidelity of the SNES hardware.

Surprisingly though, pure run'n'gun survived pretty nicely into the 16 bit era, which games like Contra 3 and Hard Corps, as well as games like Hagane, Gunstar Heroes, and Cybernator are perfect proof of.

I agree with most claims here, but I'll post my personal list anyway:

Better on SNES:
Metroid
Zelda
Contra
Final Fantasy
Makaimura/Ghouls n Ghosts
Gargoyle's Quest/Demon's Crest
Prince of Persia

Better on NES:
Castlevania
Mega Man
Capcom's Disney platformers
Battletoads

Tied:
Mario (I do prefer SMB3, but nothing that game does shouldn't fit into SMW's formula, so it's a tight lead)
Dragon Quest
Kirby

Edited by Sumez
  • Like 3

I didn't play much on the NES, as I started from the Master System then jumped to the Megadrive and then SNES.

However, I did play some Contra on the Famicom and completed Contra III (Super Probotector) on the SNES, and I remember the SNES trumps the NES version in all manners of graphics and sounds. Granted the top down levels weren't so great, but they added to the variety.

So I personally think Contra SNES >>> Contra NES.

11 minutes ago, Sumez said:

True. Both actual Contra games on the NES are GREAT games, so it's hard to compare. But Contra 3 might just be the best game in the genre entirely. Even with the overhead stages (which tbh aren't terrible, they just aren't great either)

2999066-8640050740-giphy.gif
Hard Corps is champ

Hard Corps is great, but I'd take Contra 3's mediocre overhead stages any day, over bosses that last minutes while you're just waiting for them to walk to their next stop, or battles that are consistently handled by abusing safespots and 100% predictable patterns.

Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, ifightdragons said:

It doesn't make sense to include StarTropics, agreed.

I thought Kirby Super Star on SNES was widely regarded as one of the best in the entire series?

...or Dream Course.  Suck it Kirby's Weak Ass Adventure.