IGNORED

Wow - Gamestop claimed to be an "essential business"

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Quest4Nes said:

Looks like I took the contrarian stance on this one guys.

My only point is this.

Its not as easy as shut down business. There are huge ramifications. Some of these businesses wont open back up. You are actually thousands of small businesses. This is like walmarts dream scenario right now.

It should be.

As I've said (elsewhere on the forum), the government can bail out airlines for billions of dollars, why can't they provide financial support to small businesses in the same manner?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

That was Italy's approach. Now their hospital system is overwhelmed.

we are way bigger than italy, and I hate to say it but our quality of healthcare is way higher than theirs. This country is way more spread out than italy. Completely different logistics. Alot of factors.

Just now, Quest4Nes said:

Its not as easy as shut down business. There are huge ramifications. Some of these businesses wont open back up. You are actually thousands of small businesses. This is like walmarts dream scenario right now.

No one's saying this isn't a giant shit sandwich for, well, everyone. But a widespread death toll would hit the economy even worse (not to mention all the dead people.) This isn't a normal bug. It's very contagious, and has a high enough fatality rate to be a concern. Yes, it hits old people the hardest, but younger people can die or experience permanent lung damage.

It isn't a matter of isolating a few people. We're all going to have to hunker down to get ahead of this thing.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quest4Nes said:

Looks like I took the contrarian stance on this one guys.

My only point is this.

I think there's a fear on the part of legislators (apart from the fear of contracting and dying from it) that if ANY of them fail to implement the most extreme measures they will suffer politically in the aftermath. 

Just now, Tulpa said:

No one's saying this isn't a giant shit sandwich for, well, everyone. But a widespread death toll would hit the economy even worse (not to mention all the dead people.) This isn't a normal bug. It's very contagious, and has a high enough fatality rate to be a concern. Yes, it hits old people the hardest, but younger people can die or experience permanent lung damage.

It isn't a matter of isolating a few people. We're all going to have to hunker down to get ahead of this thing.

and still contract it in the end? ok , quarantine the vulnerable and lets move on. Close the public sector.

1 minute ago, Quest4Nes said:

we are way bigger than italy, and I hate to say it but our quality of healthcare is way higher than theirs. This country is way more spread out than italy. Completely different logistics. Alot of factors.

It's still the same thing, though. If we don't isolate the way we're doing, our hospitals will fail. Doesn't matter if we have the best healthcare in the history of everything, it'll still break down if we don't do what we're doing, and then we're REALLY in the shit.

Just now, m308gunner said:

I think there's a fear on the part of legislators (apart from the fear of contracting and dying from it) that if ANY of them fail to implement the most extreme measures they will suffer politically in the aftermath. 

exactly what Ive been saying. They are always going to overreact. The media being 100 percent lockstep against the president want it all to burn so they can point fingers.

2 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

and still contract it in the end? ok , quarantine the vulnerable and lets move on. Close the public sector.

Pretty much EVERYONE is vulnerable (except kids, who we can't let run around willy nilly.) We have to close EVERYTHING non-essential.

Edited by Tulpa

6 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Our healthcare is better than Italy's? Italy is generally ranked in the top 5 hralthcare in the world by Bloomberg. It was first in I think 2017. The U.S is somewhere in the 30's.

11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It should be.

As I've said (elsewhere on the forum), the government can bail out airlines for billions of dollars, why can't they provide financial support to small businesses in the same manner?

Because the government doesn't care if a small business goes under, because on a macro level the economy will keep on going. Fair or not, it's just a fact.

13 minutes ago, Californication said:

Our healthcare is better than Italy's? Italy is generally ranked in the top 5 hralthcare in the world by Bloomberg. It was first in I think 2017. The U.S is somewhere in the 30's.

Those survey stats they use are bullshit on those lists.

The quality of care in the US is number 1. Other countries all get to benefit off the US producing the breakthrough pharmaceuticals and treatments.  

I’ve seen many people complain about how many measures are being taken, saying we’re overreacting and that the fallout won’t be “that bad.“ That’s the point. If we do our job well and then people throw their arms up when not enough people die, they’re missing the point entirely.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

Those survey stats they use are bullshit on those lists.

The quality of care in the US is number 1. Other countries all get to benefit off the US producing the breakthrough pharmaceuticals and treatments.  

I’m not going into the healthcare debate, but I am going to mention that there’s a difference between healthcare and scientific research and development of treatments. And many of those are collaborated between multiple researchers, universities, and/or corporations from across the globe.

They are closing all stores after today. 

"As millions of Americans look to GameStop to adjust to their new normal of increased time at home, for work, learning and play, we have implemented practices to help ensure the safety and health of our employees, customers and partners," GameStop CEO George Sherman said in a statement. "We believe it is prudent to institute further safety protocols while meeting this increased demand through curbside pick-up.  As such, stores that remain in operation will provide only pick-up at the door or delivery to home activities to further protect our employees and customers.”

Edited by Pats1717
added quote

34 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

the fact you even deem it as a necessary measure is pretty terrifying actually.

🤦‍♂️ Yes. IF things really start falling apart. Millions more infected. If no one can get treatment. If hospitals are full, many more suffering at home or on cots in gyms and church basements. If the workforce becomes severely depleted and stores are empty of product and raids and looting start. 

Talk about huge ramifications. Yes, I think martial law could be necessary if things come to that.

I want to avoid that. The virus stays hidden while it spreads exponentially. We’ve been blindsided by it. We are in a pretty good place and I for one would like to stay in a good place and get better. Going about business as usual isn’t wise right now. Sorry.

This is a calamity. We are lucky that it rears its head slower than a hurricane, in which we have seen the above scenarios. We have a chance to not let it get that far. 

Laugh all you want. 

• Like 1