IGNORED

Wow - Gamestop claimed to be an "essential business"

6 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Posts like this are going to look so dumb by the summer. Y2k esq. This marshall law state everyone wamts to declare is so effing ridiculous.

Nobody wants martial law. It might be necessary if people can’t stay home. 

Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate. This is serious. If we don’t act like it, it will get much worse. If we do, we can get it under control, and then yes, you will say it was ridiculous and that was no big deal. 

It’s like you have no idea that there was a huge amount of work done to prevent Y2K from being a huge problem. You woke up the next day and everything was normal because of that. Only experts could effectively work on that problem. And fortunately it had a definite line to cross. For things to be normal after this bigger, messier problem, much broader participation is needed.

Edited by Link
  • Like 1

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Link said:

Everything we do before a pandemic will seem alarmist. Everything we do after a pandemic will seem inadequate. This is serious. If we don’t act like it, it will get much worse. If we do, we can get it under control, and then yes, you will say it was ridiculous and that was no big deal. 

It’s like you have no idea that there was a huge amount of work done to prevent Y2K from being a huge problem. You woke up the next day and everything was normal because of that. Only experts could effectively work on that problem. And fortunately it had a definite line to cross. For things to be normal after this bigger, messier problem, much broader participation is needed.

^^^^All of that.   

I'm honestly hoping that by Summer we can all look back on this and laugh.    That's 100 percent accurate about Y2K as well; the main reason it wasn't a big deal was due to a fuckload of work behind the scenes to make sure things didn't get all fucked up by the date change, but to the casual observer that was barely a teenager in the year 2000, of course it looked like nothing.

I admittedly thought our governor was overreacting a bit at first, but so far has seemed to be the proper course of action.   The financial implications are being worked on, but like Gloves said, people need to stay alive first.   You can figure out money later.  

I think he would rather avoid an in-place quarantine if these measures seem to work enough (no school, work from home if possible, only carryout restaurants, no big groups), and they seem to be working for us.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2020 at 3:38 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

Stopped off at one near where I picked up lunch takeout today.  Overheard the cashier telling the other customer in the store that somebody higher up had told him to not let cops in if they show up?   He said ten bucks an hour wasn't worth that and he's letting cops in if they want to come in to shut him down.

just wanted to comment at this. Why did you go if its such a big deal capn?

Having the audacity to go and then tell other people they cant and they should be closed?

Cmon man.

Edited by Quest4Nes

11 minutes ago, Link said:

pertaining to Y2k. I was talking about how people are acting. Not the event itself.

Administrator · Posted
6 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

just wanted to comment at this. Why did you go if its such a big deal capn?

Having the audacity to go and then tell other people they cant?

Cmon man.

Because there were all of three of us in the store.   The clerks shouldn't be threatened with dismissal for not showing up to work and MOST DEFINITELY should not be interfering with law enforcement personnel.

EDIT- also there's a huge difference between being open just because they haven't closed your particular brand of business yet and the scummy practice of having yourself declared an "essential business".   When I stopped in at lunch it was the former, then after reading this thread it's the latter.   Had I known before I stopped about the essential business bullshit they pulled I wouldn't have stopped in then.

So, yes and yes.   Wanna fight about it?

7 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Because there were all of three of us in the store.   The clerks shouldn't be threatened with dismissal for not showing up to work and MOST DEFINITELY should not be interfering with law enforcement personnel.

Im not talking about an anecdotal situation. Im talking about being open in the first place. And all business . Not just gamestop.

You went to gamestop knowing the situation. Just because there were 3 people? you didnt know that before you got there. You still went there for a game. Apparently that was more important than peoples lives according to some in here. 

Got link up there talking about might needing martial law? wtf people. cmon. 

Its a complicated measure. If its all about health and safety then why dont we just stay home forever. This shit isnt going away. We are going to get sick. This country is much larger and spread out. What works in another country might not work here. You cant just shut the world down. There is going to start to be unrest and people want to go back to their lives. And you will have tanked the economy for nothing.

Edited by Quest4Nes

1 minute ago, Kguillemette said:

Trump is Mr Economy. If he is endorsing shutting big chunks of the economy down to deal with this virus, it probably needs to happen.

I dont think he has many choices. Whatever he does is wrong and ridiculed. Its alot easier to take ridicule of overreaction than underreaction. I dont agree with him if thats what he thinks.

Edited by Quest4Nes

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Quest4Nes said:

Im not talking about an anecdotal situation. Im talking about being open in the first place. And all business . Not just gamestop.

You went to gamestop knowing the situation. Just because there were 3 people? you didnt know that before you got there. You still went there for a game. Apparently that was more important than peoples lives according to some in here. 

Its a complicated measure. If its all about health and safety then why dont we just stay home forever. This shit isnt going away. We are going to get sick. This country is much larger and spread out. What works in another country might not work here. You cant just shut the world down. There is going to start to be unrest and people want to go back to their lives. And you will have tanked the economy for nothing.

I added some stuff after you read it.

I don't think we'll see martial law.   

The main reason as I understand it to stay home now is to slow the eventual spread, so the hospitals and scientists and whoever can get out in front of this thing as much as possible.

Just now, Quest4Nes said:

pertaining to Y2k. I was talking about how people are acting. Not the event itself.

You’re the one saying there’s going to be unrest and the economy will be destroyed if everybody stays home for a month or two. That’s blowing shit out of proportion. It’s not going to be fun or easy for some, sure, and that sucks. But the problems you predict will be 10x worse if we don’t respond strongly and broadly, now and for the foreseeable future. 

I love how you say things like “its more complicated than that” but your pandemic answer is do all the normal things, just careful-er 

34 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

This arbitrary future date thats in limbo and changes on a whim of when life might resume. People cant just stay in their homes. There is going to start to be unrest. And then you will have tanked the economy for nothing. Weve had pandemics. We havent shut things down. This is media driven hysteria. This reminds me so much of y2k its not even funny.

Tons of people are asymptimatic. Most are barely sick, and the more actual tests that get administered the lower the death rate. Its already extremely low. If you are in a risk group you should isolate while the rest of us develop herd immunity.  

I believe this is the impetus behind the massive effort to close all non-essential businesses. There is almost no chance of the virus not spreading to pretty much every corner of the country, and the expectation is that herd immunity will take effect eventually. The main focus, to my knowledge, is to soften the blow to the hospitals from a full on rush to a manageable trickle. 

EDIT: Dang it. Capt beat me to it 😛

Edited by m308gunner

22 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

This arbitrary future date thats in limbo and changes on a whim of when life might resume. People cant just stay in their homes. There is going to start to be unrest. And then you will have tanked the economy for nothing. Weve had pandemics. We havent shut things down. This is media driven hysteria. This reminds me so much of y2k its not even funny.

Tons of people are asymptimatic. Most are barely sick, and the more actual tests that get administered the lower the death rate. Its already extremely low. If you are in a risk group you should isolate while the rest of us develop herd immunity.  

It doesn't matter if people are "barely sick" they can still pass the sickness to everyone and everything they are around - exponentially, which in turn spreads this plague to those that will end up more seriously ill.  Honestly it's awful hearing these kinds of "people are barely getting sick" comments given the legit severity of this.  I kind of understand your concern, but you're basically saying the financial world is more important than the life and wellness of hundreds of thousands (or millions) of people.

If we just ran business as usual, literally everyone would get sick and places would theoretically have to close anyways - not to mention how much it would stress our medical industry.

As a country we've already conceded that we can't contain the spread, so we have to flatten the curve and slow it down so that treatments/testing etc can be administered to those that truly need it. 

Honestly - what do you truly think society would turn into in 2-4 weeks if all businesses were allowed to run and we just let the process run its course?  Let's consider NY for example.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

You brought that up! WTF! You said people want it, I said nobody wants it but yes, it might be needed if we keep going about our business like a bunch of fools and millions more become infected. 

1 minute ago, Link said:

You brought that up! WTF! You said people want it, I said nobody wants it but yes, it might be needed if we keep going about our business like a bunch of fools and millions more become infected. 

I said some people act like they want it. As in how ridiculous.

Then you state it might be necessary.

LOLOL me bringing the word up doesnt mean I said we need it. YOU Said we might need it. I said people are being ridiculous.

3 minutes ago, Link said:

You’re the one saying there’s going to be unrest and the economy will be destroyed if everybody stays home for a month or two. That’s blowing shit out of proportion. It’s not going to be fun or easy for some, sure, and that sucks. But the problems you predict will be 10x worse if we don’t respond strongly and broadly, now and for the foreseeable future. 

I love how you say things like “its more complicated than that” but your pandemic answer is do all the normal things, just careful-er 

You'd increase your persuasive capabilities 10 fold if you addressed the ideas instead of the person. And probably get a +1 modifier if you left out any hint of passive aggression. 

7 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

You'd increase your persuasive capabilities 10 fold if you addressed the ideas instead of the person.

I am

7 minutes ago, m308gunner said:

And probably get a +1 modifier if you left out any hint of passive aggression

lol I don’t see that happening with Quest. He’s king of passive aggressiveness.

Why so sensitive?

Edited by Link

Just now, Link said:

I am

lol I don’t see that happening with Quest. Why so sensitive?

Using "You" so much in a rebuttal automatically raises a person's defenses, while addressing counterpoints to the ideas leaves more room for consideration. 

Not sensitive, just trying to help the community achieve a more peaceable consensus by throwing out free unsolicited advice (since everyone can see the post and choose whether or not to implement it into their conversational toolkit).

11 minutes ago, Link said:

Ok. Who wants martial law?

45 minutes ago, Link said:

the fact you even deem it as a necessary measure is pretty terrifying actually.

56 minutes ago, Quest4Nes said:

That was Italy's approach. Now their hospital system is overwhelmed.

Looks like I took the contrarian stance on this one guys.

My only point is this.

Its not as easy as shut down business. There are huge ramifications. Some of these businesses wont open back up. You are actually thousands of small businesses. This is like walmarts dream scenario right now.