IGNORED

Super Mario Bros. 2 - No Seal Of Quality

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

That’s interesting. Is it common for this game to have no seal ?

id say its on par with other label variants like gun smoke and untouchables. but thats just my opinion i could be completely wrong just a theory from my personal experience seeing them in the wild.

Edited by skinnygrinny

found this on reddit 

you are correct, the pins in the middle are used for SRAM saves (for games that support it) and expansion port (not used in NA). 

as someone else mentioned, the one will full pins across is the only NA donor game capable of becoming a translated FF3, and even then it needs lot more modification compared to other "repros".

link here. @Ferris Bueller i think your in this thread lol 

Edited by skinnygrinny

I'm surprised to see a number of people seem kinda surprised by this. I thought it was a common knowledge thing.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:12 PM, skinnygrinny said:

found this on reddit 

you are correct, the pins in the middle are used for SRAM saves (for games that support it) and expansion port (not used in NA). 

as someone else mentioned, the one will full pins across is the only NA donor game capable of becoming a translated FF3, and even then it needs lot more modification compared to other "repros".

link here. @Ferris Bueller i think your in this thread lol 

I'm surprised to see a number of people seem kinda surprised by this. I thought it was a common knowledge thing.

They were indeed earlier print runs of the game and yes have the full run of pins across the bottom that are needed to make a FF3 repro. There's one pin in particular, I wanna say it was pin 52, that had to be tagged onto. That alone wan't even the pain in the ass part about making them. It also was a very finicky game when it came to which brand or type of ram could be used, which had to be sourced from another game. Which games contained them was a crap shoot because the same title could use different chip manufacturers throughout it's print cycle. I wanna say that the boards Konami made themselves had a high likelihood of having it on there. 

I think I still have 8 or 9 of these SMB 2 carts stored away that never got used when I stopped making repros.

Edited by LeatherRebel5150
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Has anyone made a new board that can make a FF3 repro?

I think there was at least one place that used to have a link in a thread in the Brewery on the old site. I found this one (don't know if they're the same people I'm thinking of) I think may work, but there might be a detail I'm overlooking/can't remember that is needed.

https://www.muramasaentertainment.com/product/nes-txrom-advanced/