IGNORED

What was the first import SRPG you bought?

Bighab

Ah I fondly remember the early 2000's and searching the internet for Strategy Rpg's on various systems. I found a fan site dedicated to the Front Mission series. I was checking the site out and was disappointed they were all Japanese only. But I looked at the review/screen shots of Front Mission on the Super Famicom and found out all the menu's were in English.  Ok so I wouldn't be able understand the story but the missions were on a linear path. All the shop menu's and upgrading of your Mech's were in English. So here we had a Strategy Rpg with cool Mechs that would be easy to play and I was hooked. I quickly went to Ebay and I bought the first complete copy I saw. I played it to completion after it arrived. Loved it! I've enjoyed trying to find Strategy Rpg's/Strategy games to play that didn't require much English ever since.

Front_Mission.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh - the highly esteemed Bighab found me a copy of Brigandine Grand Edition  (PS1) way back when.  At that time I had a spring device that enabled me to bypass the lockout on a US playstation.  So I slogged through the game and got to the final battle (which only appears in the Grand Edition) only to discover that it was on the second disc and that the spring device would not let me switch discs.

I much later got a Japanese PS but never got around to going through Grand Edition again.

After that it was probably Neo Nectaris which I was able to play through on my laseractive.  (I was also able to use the laseractive to play  a Japanese copy of Dark Wizard.  (I was only able to play because I am so familiar with the US version.)  No major differences (and only a few minor ones) - and there is no water of heaven in that version either.

One game that was recently repro'd with an English translation (not really needed) is the fairly obscure (because it was only available in Japan as a store download to a Super Famicom memory cartridge) Super Famicom Wars.  If yo like the Advance Wars 1 & 2 you will likely like this - somewhat simpler than those it does feature a "rail gun" which was a neat idea but could have been implemented better than it was.  

I bought Super Famicom Wars wayyy back when on a Super Famicom memory cartridge. Great game.  Now a days it's nice to see a lot of these games receiving fan translations. Second import I ever bought was Feda Emblem of Justice. A Shining Force clone that's easy to play

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, the tall guy said:

Shining Force III scenario 2.  Followed by scenario 3.  I followed a translation and a walkthrough so I didn't miss anything.  What a masterpiece of a game.

Welcome aboard - you are in charge of decorating the caravan and HQ for the Christmas holidays!

• Like 1