IGNORED

What is your favorite SRPG?

Tabonga

(Just one please - we can start another topic for top 5/10 (or whatever)).

Mine hands down is Dark Wizard for  the Sega CD .   It is a pretty amazing game with large armies (40 units), 4 races with different strengths/abilities, 4 basic classes for your hired units, 4 different game paths - each with its own leader and roster of summoned monsters, large hex grid battlefields, a large inventory of weapons, shields, armor and special items to equip your hired units - and tons of secrets to discover.  If you liked the  Shining Force games this is like one them on steroids.

The biggest drawback is an AI that is generally dumber than a box of rocks (something that most console strategy games suffer from).  One other drawback is that the documentation for the game is really poor - and the game is complex enough that the first playthrough is really confusing.  A big part of the game is planning out your army (you have total control of what 37 of the 40 units in your army will be ) - but the first playthrough you really don't know how your summoned monsters and hired units will develop much later in the game.  Subsequent playthrough become much more engaging as you get familiar with the mechanics.  

Here is an excel map I made of one of the battlefields:

1131393165_5CE9BB4E-BF6B-C22A-FD9F699D2CB0D5A6(1).jpg.bb08e1a0eeab1cc4ad2c12ef4a1b4630.jpg

Edited by Tabonga

Mine would be Warsong. Good story. Not an insane amount of level grinding. Battle scenarios are fairly quick. Some moderate challenges/character choices along the way to keep it interesting. I love the planning and keeping your depleted troops out of harms way to heal up next to your leader. Terrain bonus's on the map. Troop bonus's from your leaders. Excellent game that I enjoy playing repeatedly!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bighab said:

Mine would be Warsong. Good story. Not an insane amount of level grinding. Battle scenarios are fairly quick. Some moderate challenges/character choices along the way to keep it interesting. I love the planning and keeping your depleted troops out of harms way to heal up next to your leader. Terrain bonus's on the map. Troop bonus's from your leaders. Excellent game that I enjoy playing repeatedly!

I particulary liked the battle where you had to rescue Bayard (who was trapped in his castle).

Playing out the first battle and defending the castle (rather than slinking off like a craven coward like the game wanted you to do) was a heckuva a challenge - made more so since a lot depended on how well the king's guards did - so there was a big element of luck there.

Edited by Tabonga

1 hour ago, Bighab said:

I've tried defending the castle turn one but could never do it myself

It is a matter of luck as much as anything else.  IIRC you have to use most of your troops to keep most of the stonger enemy units away from the king and allow a few to attack the king's guards.  Hopefully they will weaken the enemies and then you swoop in and finish them off.  Then repeat with a few more.   IIRC correctly pretty much everyone but Garrett gets killed - (in fact you may need that to happen so the attack precedence works in your favor - been awhile since I played though.)

I think I could get it to work about 1/2 the time - it is a nice challenge and really satisfying when you do get it to work.  It doesn't make any difference to the plotline - which acts just like you had slunk off.  You will gain more experience and some more money though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, Bighab said:

Ah I missed your reply in the other thread about playing scene 2 and 3. I have them translated. How easy was it to import your scene 1 save to the next scene?

It wasn't too bad to do all things considered.  Glad they were compatible without any kind of shenanigans needed.

• 2 months later...

Hmmmm...my favorite?  THAT is a tough question.  Probably X-Com: UFO Defense.  I've put more hours into that game than every other strategy game combined.  However, it's not really an SRPG, more of a strategy/management sim, so if that doesn't count, I'd have to go with Warsong as well.  Easily my favorite vintage console SRPG.  

• Like 1