IGNORED

Favorite SNES game and why?

RetroMichel

Secret of Mana. I adore the music, the gameplay is a ton of fun with so many different weapons and spells (not to mention three characters to switch between at any time), and the co-op is amazingly fun if you have two people to play through it with you. Despite a few bugs it's always a ton of fun to replay.

• Like 1

Earthbound. It came to me at the perfect time in life, it resonated with me on a deeply emotional level, the soundtrack is amazing, the whole adventure is just unforgettable. All these years later and I keep hoping to find another game that connects with me on a similar level but nope hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 8:59 PM, PII said:

Chrono Trigger is indeed the best game ever made (;9) and the best reason I can give for why is: A truly intriguing Story.

I kind of feel like this thread should be titled "What's your favorite SNES game that's not Chrono Trigger."

My answer: Push-Over.  It's an especially unique and engaging puzzle adventure, a real thinker.

Yeah I always wondered why Square hasn’t done a Chrono Trigger remaster. Then I realized its probably because its so good that they wouldn’t be able to outdo it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, phart010 said:

Yeah I always wondered why Square hasn’t done a Chrono Trigger remaster. Then I realized its probably because its so good that they wouldn’t be able to outdo it.

I've heard it said that the official reason from Square as to why the franchise died was because the reception to Chrono Cross was much lower than hoped. They are very much a by-the-numbers company, and current sales dictates future profits. If you/we want more Chrono, we basically need to download and play the remastered Steam/Mobile versions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RH said:

I've heard it said that the official reason from Square as to why the franchise died was because the reception to Chrono Cross was much lower than hoped. They are very much a by-the-numbers company, and current sales dictates future profits. If you/we want more Chrono, we basically need to download and play the remastered Steam/Mobile versions.

I hate it when video game companies have a game made of gold then they make a crappy sequel then blame the fans for not liking it. I had Chrono Cross at launch and it was not at all compelling.

11 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I think it’s definitely a painting. If you look at the sumo face at the far left, you can see the canvas texture

Well there's no question about that.   Its by Tom Dubois and I've spoken to him about the piece before.

Its airbrush on illustration board rather than canvas, but same yeah, same difference.

Edited by Bronty
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
On 3/18/2020 at 5:09 PM, TDIRunner said:

I'm going with Super Metroid.  The game just doesn't get old no matter how many times I play it.  The graphics, the gameplay, the music.  Everything is nearly perfect.  

On 3/19/2020 at 2:07 AM, Andy_Bogomil said:

If I have to pick I'd have to go with Super Metroid. A true masterpiece in my opinion. SNES is #1 - so many amazing games that still hold up.

I'm joining the Super Metroid train right away guys! Let's quickly recruit all SM fans to dominate this thread!

Though in truth, SNES as so many 'best game ever' materials that it makes it 'Super' hard to just pick one.

• Like 2

I honestly don't have one, it's just too hard to choose.

But bucking the franchise trend stuff, I think I would have to say one of the two first purchases I made after the system came out does quality as a favorite, maybe not the favorite though... Actraiser.  A perfect blend of lite SimCity elements crossed with a pretty solid action campaign set of stages in each region of that world.  It's just really fun and has never been matched annoyingly since.