IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Yoshi's Cookie

BeaIank

Editorials Team · Posted
7 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

From video description:

Great balls o fire. Great job with this, really impressive stuff. All I do is stack up lots of cookies and clear huge rows over and over. Toss in some double rows and Yoshis whenever it's easy. Get some lucky combos here and there. And learn when you should bail and clear the level to avoid getting killed by greed.

See you all next puzzle game!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted

Congrats to @0xDEAFC0DE for his first win in the NES Weekly Contest. He won it fair and square, and by a LANDSLIDE! This week felt like the Game Boy contest, and 0xDEAFC0DE delivered the cookies!

Honorable mention to @Splain for breaking the 100k bar! I can feel that this guy will be a serious candidate for the 2020 puzzle charm, so watch out punks!

As always, thanks to everyone playing and posting in the thread making it alive and well. You guys rock!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

This is my new trend of coming in fifth in every contest.

Tied for 5th is my curse at my local SFV weekly here too.
I have a ridiculous amount of tied for 5th out of 20, 25 people there.
Too bad the weekly is on hold due to the virus. Playing offline and on stream every Tuesday night can be a blast.

With 9th place I don’t think I really have a chance at the puzzle genre now.  Yoshi’s Cookie to me is a brutal game.  Maybe the hardest puzzle game on the NES?  The time sink, asymmetry of the board and abrupt lose condition are majorly punishing and demoralizing.  So I’m gonna start playing adventure island - hope it’s 1 life 😉😉😉 

5 minutes ago, Krunch said:

With 9th place I don’t think I really have a chance at the puzzle genre now.  Yoshi’s Cookie to me is a brutal game.  Maybe the hardest puzzle game on the NES?  The time sink, asymmetry of the board and abrupt lose condition are majorly punishing and demoralizing.  So I’m gonna start playing adventure island - hope it’s 1 life 😉😉😉 

You can be down to one or two cookies and still lose because you keep getting bad cookies as the game gets faster and faster until you can't control it anymore.

29 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

You can be down to one or two cookies and still lose because you keep getting bad cookies as the game gets faster and faster until you can't control it anymore.

The goal with the faster stages is to clear everything before any lines come down. You do that by never leaving one of any type of cookie. If you get really good (which I never got this good since I mostly focused on the combos), instead of trying to clear everything when you only have 1 or 2 left, you can let it build up a bit and then make sure you leave no singles again. I learned most of this by watching the speedrun. 

https://www.speedrun.com/yoshis_cookie_nes/run/y23jvjwm

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

yeah that’s the thing.  I suffered that a lot.  It’s hard no matter what approach you take.   I tried both approaches, big early combos and long game and wasn’t really successful with either.  

4 minutes ago, Krunch said:

yeah that’s the thing.  I suffered that a lot.  It’s hard no matter what approach you take.   I tried both approaches, big early combos and long game and wasn’t really successful with either.  

Would you say that Yoshi's Cookie is harder than Tetris?

I had to put in a ton of practice to even get as good as I am at Tetris. But Tetris is way more fun.

47 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

Would you say that Yoshi's Cookie is harder than Tetris?

I had to put in a ton of practice to even get as good as I am at Tetris. But Tetris is way more fun.

for me it is and it comes down to intuitiveness, while Tetris is undoubtedly hard it is more accessible, anyone can understand Tetris.   It’s kind of a day to learn lifetime to master game.   By that rubric Tetris is a much better game (and more balanced), but Yoshi’s Cookie isn’t as accessible and it has that “Nintendo hard” aspect that Tetris maybe doesn’t.  Tetris is definitely way more fun for me anyways

Events Team · Posted

Hey fellas, it is time for a random giveaway prize (cue bugles and horns)!

This week prize is another freshly handmade cross-stitch from our good friend @MeganJoanne : a 100 % butter, sugar coated Yoshi Cookie :

1159078161_2020-3-18cross-stitchYoshisCookie.thumb.JPG.32bde39aa0d7241845aeed41bf878e00.JPG.f63df52b23a19f7e3c4f1b2fe2cc3893.JPG

Here are the players eligible for the random giveaway :

1 = @Splain  
2 = @Gaia Gensouki
3 = @arnpoly
4 = @mbd39
5 = @ninjistar
6 = @8bitdontquit
7 = @bertsampson
8 = @Krunch
9 = @TWarwick07
10 = @Tablew/chairs
11 = @SuperJimtendo
12 = @Richardhead
13 = @Mega Tank
14 = @Gloves
15 = @ookii_risu
16 = @Ausden
17 = @JamesRobot
18 = @skinnygrinny

image.png.a18f05be24af6128f6aa764d0a867b6f.png

Congratulations to TWarwick07 for winning that sweet Yoshi's Cookie cross-stitch! Way to go bro!

Thanks to everyone playing in the NES Weekly Contest and see you all this week in the Star Force contest thread!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Editorials Team · Posted

That cookie looks awesome!

I used to play Yoshi's Cookie on GB as a kid. There's a definite learning curve to whittling down your cookies to something that you can work with. Yeah, don't clear a line if you're leaving only one of that cookie behind. Look for amounts of cookies that match the width or height of your stash. That takes some quick thinking, so start with cookies that are easy to count at a glance like the checkered one. Of course, you can easily get messed over by accidentally clearing a line since you're trying to move really fast, or the Yoshi cookie clearing something you didn't want, if you have one. Then you're playing the game of hoping the new cookies exactly match what you've got, sometimes for several minutes.

Tetris is way better than YC. A game having "random" elements is usually spoken of like it's a bad thing; we could all name off a couple games where winning or losing comes down to whether or not you were lucky enough to get a specific piece, situation, etc. But Tetris is unique in that even if you don't get the I-piece when you wanted it, you can still work with the pieces you DID get to make lines in a different way, since every piece is made of the same kind of block. Nothing special about the individual blocks, just their arrangement when they fall.

In many "random-tile" games like Yoshi's Cookie, if you don't get the specific cookie you need, you're simply not clearing the one you have. (I guess there's some flexibility if you go the route of accepting a couple new layers of cookies before clearing them out.) Same with Yoshi, you need an exact match or else you're not getting rid of that tile. Yeah, you can fill an egg, but now you've just shifted it to needing a different specific piece.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

ya what happened to meerkat?

@Bearcat-Doug

I'm probably going to have to play a part time schedule like I mentioned before the season. I want to be able to give a 100% effort when I do get a chance to play, so I won't be able to join in every week, but I'll be giving it my best when I do.

• Like 1

• The topic was unpinned