IGNORED

VGS Weekly Contest - Yoshi's Cookie

BeaIank

3 minutes ago, TWarwick07 said:

So is it the best plan to let the cookies build up and try for large lines early or clear the stage as quick as possible

Let the cookies build up for points is a good strategy in the early going. But if you get too greedy with the point pressing then it will get too fast. The more cookies you clear the faster the game gets.

I just barely broke 100k! (updated page 1) I mostly got there through a better early game strategy, but I'm also getting better at surviving longer. There's still room for improvement. Speaking of early game, I got an even better lucky starting combo on level 1-1. In one combo I started from a 7x6 block and cleared the whole board ending with a 20x512 and scoring 22560 in total. Of course, I got too greedy on 1-2 and game overed but it was fun while it lasted. 

• Like 1

As another day of cookie matching MaDNeSS draws to a close, eleven competitors have submitted scores.  Let's take a look at the events thus far!

Active competitors this week:

We have a new pastry chef in this mixing bowl of sugary fun: @0xDEAFC0DE!  To date, he has come storming onto the scene, charging ahead of many veteran players! He has taken an early lead with his cookie-crushing score of 100k!

Pastry popping veteran @mbd39 is cruising along nicely with his score of 50k+. Will he be able to bake his way to victory this week? Can he crush the other confectionist competitors in this crazy contest of cookie calamity? While tackling the task of besting his previous Yoshi's Cookie score, he has lamented that this week will be a grind. He is surely not alone there!

Incognito veteran @MeganJoanne has arrived! So far, she has clawed her way up the leaderboard to take a position in the top 3 this week! Will she hang in there and continue to pound  a plethora of pastries?

Returning competitor @Gaia Gensouki has reached into the cookie jar, putting up a solid score! 

One has to wonder what the Colorado Crew is planning. A recent review of the leaderboard shows that @Murray, @SuperJimtendo, and @JamesRobot are all locked up, tied with a score of 6 each, revealing the mark of the beast! Are they forming a nefarious plot to burn the other bakers this week? Will they finally assemble like Voltron and slaughter the competition? Former champ @Richardhead has put in a solid first score, but has remained quiet. @SuperJimtendo has taken an early lead over his Colorado brethren. @JamesRobot has chimed in as well. But where is @Murray

The mysterious @ninjistar has returned to the competition after a long hiatus! He continues to grind away at the 2020 season!

Veteran @ookii_risu has landed on the leaderboard with their first score of the season!

Superstar administrator extraordinaire @Gloves even popped in with a surprise score!

Long-time contest contributor and veteran @Reed Rothchild continues to dazzle us with his Verizon wireless "infinity phone" (tm), complete with cracked screen! One has to wonder how he is able to play games on this device, let alone use it. 

Kickle artist of the week: @JamesRobot!!!

Resident artist @SuperJimtendo is well-known for his twisted and unsavory renditions of video game character, Kickle from the game Kickle Cubicle. Jimbo's "know no bounds" creations have lead to much conversation and discussion in the past. This week, @JamesRobot decided to contribute to the infinite recreations of Kickle with a Limp Bizkit-themed rendition! The Kickle-loving @ninjistar quickly adopted this artwork by using it as his profile picture. Perhaps a trend is forming...

Everyone loves the competition! But some folks are missing...

Where is @skinnygrinny?  The Grinder, aka Kobra Kai, aka 40foottapeworm is not known for his love of puzzle games. So far, he has not submitted a score, but instead decided to reassure himself to hang in there! Will he come blasting in with a surprise score? Will he smash the competition much like he did with his last physical copy of Tetris? Or will he be smashed like raw cookie dough?

Veteran @Krunch, reigning champion @8bitdontquit, and puzzle master @arnpoly have yet to be seen this week. Contest champ @Tablew/chairs has also been unusually quiet thus far this season. Legendary players @bertsampson, @Bearcat-Doug, and @TWarwick07 seem to be sitting this one out. 

The 2020 NES weekly NES competition has just begun!, but one question lingers in the air... Who will walk away as this weeks master baker?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

even so i want to publicly apologize for stealing your thunder last week without a pass of the torch 😕 my bad jimbo.

The grinder does not apologize for anything! He takes shotguns to TeTris carts dammit! He punches people in the left side of the right eye and the right side of the left eye! He wraps his 42 inches around in an anaconda vice and forces the run off in any open orifice! 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

The grinder does not apologize for anything! He takes shotguns to TeTris carts dammit! He punches people in the left side of the right eye and the right side of the left eye! He wraps his 42 inches around in an anaconda vice and forces the run off in any open orifice! 

lol 😂 your right your right. 

to hell with superjimshakespear! 

• Haha 1

Broke 150k now (picture on page 1). I figured out how to get 40k+ in the first level (in one combo). I might be able to get it to work on other slow levels but I've had to bail out so far. 

Edit: I just started another game and got a 50560 combo ending with a 10x2048. I believe this is the max possible combo without using the bonus yoshis. Pictures for fun below. 

Spoiler

IMG_20200318_221828.thumb.jpg.6c9d0f8d2061c39de6fa6954b024dd74.jpgIMG_20200318_221832.thumb.jpg.1ce98d93262631c00e1a9c24b9087042.jpg

Edit 2: updated again to 185k. I got two 50560 combos in 1-1 and 1-2. New goal is 200k.

Edited by 0xDEAFC0DE
Fixing images
  • Wow! 4

11 hours ago, skinnygrinny said:

even so i want to publicly apologize for stealing your thunder last week without a pass of the torch 😕 my bad jimbo.

I am not following this at all, but that's probably because after the 2017 season, I fully stepped away from the contests (and many other things). I actually have no idea what happened in those two years, Hopefully, I didn't step on anyone's dingus. 😛 Thought I'd add some Commander Santa'esque writing to the thread! Plus, I felt it would be a relaxing activity for me. With all of this COVID19 stuff happening and affecting my work and personal life, things have been hellish. It was a nice escape to write!

Edited by ninjistar
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I am not following this at all, but that's probably because after the 2017 season, I fully stepped away from the contests (and many other things). I actually have no idea what happened in those two years, Hopefully, I didn't step on anyone's dingus. 😛 Thought I'd add some Commander Santa'esque writing to the thread!

You missed nothing. I tried to do Santa write ups last year in the form of a kickle news letter that was half making fun of everyone, a made up story about gloves being a crime lord, and giving away tricks about the games each week as well as drawings for each game. but had to quit halfway though the season. Ask our current Champ to show you the drawings because he got sent all the originals 

Edited by SuperJimtendo
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, SuperJimtendo said:

You missed nothing. I tried to do Santa write ups last year in the form of a kickle news letter that was half making fun of everyone, a made up story about gloves being a crime lord, and giving away tricks about the games each week as well as drawings for each game. but had to quit halfway though the season. Ask our current Champ to show you the drawings because he got sent all the originals 

Oh, that sounds pretty great man! I think that's a pretty cool sounding format. I'm not sure how it is that I don't have an original Jimbo drawring?! "a made up story about gloves being a crime lord" - Made up??? 😂 🤔

27 minutes ago, ninjistar said:

I am not following this at all, but that's probably because after the 2017 season, I fully stepped away from the contests (and many other things). I actually have no idea what happened in those two years, Hopefully, I didn't step on anyone's dingus. 😛 Thought I'd add some Commander Santa'esque writing to the thread! Plus, I felt it would be a relaxing activity for me. With all of this COVID19 stuff happening and affecting my work and personal life, things have been hellish. It was a nice escape to write!

all good brother!

jimbo was doing write ups. and i realized i probably could have been a gentlemen and asked if he was going to continue before i did the saturday reflections. 

no harm no foul 🙂 

edit: and your piece was a really fun read so thank you 😁

Edited by skinnygrinny
  • Thanks 1