IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

So far so good. Bought a big chunk at $7 and it's up to $7.23 right now. I'm riding this one to the moon!

I also finally invested in Square. Both Square and PayPal are beloved by analysts and should be huge growth stocks in the next 5 years. Definitely good long holds.

UPDATE: Also, I noticed some unusual activity on Denison Mining on Friday, but the stock has no obvious value so I didn't buy. It shot up 35% today again so I got in at $1.45. Apparently uranium has been surging and they mine it. This one's a true gamble, so I don't recommend anyone buy, but I'll keep you updated.

I keep meaning to put some money into Square but every time I have some cash I find something else I like even more. I think you will do well on them LT.

I've been seeing a few articles about uranium over the last month so maybe prices are increasing? I mainly stay away from resource stocks because of how wild they can get. Although I have broken that rule twice now, I am currently in Lithium and have held an Iron Ore company before. I'm a bit more open to these two resources because they are huge markets here, so they get covered really well and its easy to find info on these commodities in Australia.

16 hours ago, Shmup said:

I keep meaning to put some money into Square but every time I have some cash I find something else I like even more. I think you will do well on them LT.

I've been seeing a few articles about uranium over the last month so maybe prices are increasing? I mainly stay away from resource stocks because of how wild they can get. Although I have broken that rule twice now, I am currently in Lithium and have held an Iron Ore company before. I'm a bit more open to these two resources because they are huge markets here, so they get covered really well and its easy to find info on these commodities in Australia.

I love Square as a long hold. Cash App is growing like crazy and houses a huge percentage of American's Bitcoin.

This is only my second foray into metals and a stupid one at that. I just got the day trading bug. I didn't cash out at the peak though and now the stock is even for me. I will probably just get out and move to the next fun-bucks stock.

5 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I love Square as a long hold. Cash App is growing like crazy and houses a huge percentage of American's Bitcoin.

This is only my second foray into metals and a stupid one at that. I just got the day trading bug. I didn't cash out at the peak though and now the stock is even for me. I will probably just get out and move to the next fun-bucks stock.

The Coinbase IPO should be interesting.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'll just stick with buying Bitcoin since I'm guessing the returns will be related, but BTC will be higher.

I think that's reasonable, especially if you've already got your real retirement money going into ETFs/401k/IRA. In all reality, individual stocks are more likely to drag down your portfolio than lift it up.

And, just to be clear, in case any newbie investors are perusing this thread, I only invest in individual stocks/crypto if I'm already contributing the max to my 401k. That's the absolutely most important thing to do to secure a stable retirement.

9 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think that's reasonable, especially if you've already got your real retirement money going into ETFs/401k/IRA. In all reality, individual stocks are more likely to drag down your portfolio than lift it up.

And, just to be clear, in case any newbie investors are perusing this thread, I only invest in individual stocks/crypto if I'm already contributing the max to my 401k. That's the absolutely most important thing to do to secure a stable retirement.

I guess I'm going to be the bad influence here. I went all in on Bitcoin after getting tired of ending up with less than 25 cents in interest in the bank from my savings each month. I've made enough in the past four months to buy at least two new cars in less than a year. It does take a solid initial investment to make that short term gain, but it is possible.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

25 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'd say you should maxing your Roth space, as well, before speculating, since that is valuable tax free contribution space you can't get back.

25 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I guess I'm going to be the bad influence here. I went all in on Bitcoin after getting tired of ending up with less than 25 cents in interest in the bank from my savings each month. I've made enough in the past four months to buy at least two new cars in less than a year. It does take a solid initial investment to make that short term gain, but it is possible.

Being invested in pretty much anything in the past year (post crash) would be immensely better than basic savings interest (which has been very low for almost 20 years at this point)

I wouldn't recommend "all in" on any single thing, though.  You've had the benefit of good luck, at this point (benefitted tremendously from Musk jumping into the space).  

Just don't leave yourself in the position to get clobbered in a drop in a single asset.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Being invested in pretty much anything in the past year (post crash) would be immensely better than basic savings interest (which has been very low for almost 20 years at this point)

I wouldn't recommend "all in" on any single thing, though.  You've had the benefit of good luck, at this point (benefitted tremendously from Musk jumping into the space).  

Just don't leave yourself in the position to get clobbered in a drop in a single asset.

I am invested in other things, I just took the money I had earning 0.1% in savings and moved it into Bitcoin.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I am invested in other things, I just took the money I had earning 0.1% in savings and moved it into Bitcoin.

Be careful man. If my many years of crypto trading taught me anything, it's that what goes up must always come down. Including the behemoth BTC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

I'd say you should maxing your Roth space, as well, before speculating, since that is valuable tax free contribution space you can't get back.

I'm a huge proponent of Roth investing for anyone who has it available to them. Unfortunately not all employers offer Roth 401ks. That being said, everyone does have access to Roth IRAs and should use them whenever possible. I just think maxing out 401k (Roth or traditional) should supercede IRA investing since so many employers offer matching contributions and other benefits. In South Carolina there is an automatic 4% safe harbor employer contribution AND a 4% employer match, so I max that baby out every year.

34 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I'm a huge proponent of Roth investing for anyone who has it available to them. Unfortunately not all employers offer Roth 401ks. That being said, everyone does have access to Roth IRAs and should use them whenever possible. I just think maxing out 401k (Roth or traditional) should supercede IRA investing since so many employers offer matching contributions and other benefits. In South Carolina there is an automatic 4% safe harbor employer contribution AND a 4% employer match, so I max that baby out every year.

I wouldn't personally go with a Roth 401k over a Trad 401k, but it depends on your top tax bracket -- though I would always max out the Roth IRA on top of it, regardless.

Unless you have blocked yourself from a "backdoor Roth" by having existing money in a traditional IRA, ANYONE can contribute to a Roth, as long as they have earned income.  (basically existing pre-tax IRA money blocks using post-tax IRA money for a conversion, since it forces you to pay taxes, proportionally on some of the pre-tax money)

Order of operations that I use:

(1) 401k up to any match, since your match is part of your salary that you're leaving on the table otherwise

(2) Roth IRA to the max

(3) finish maxing out the 401k

(4) then get into taxable investing space

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

I wouldn't personally go with a Roth 401k over a Trad 401k, but it depends on your top tax bracket -- though I would always max out the Roth IRA on top of it, regardless.

Unless you have blocked yourself from a "backdoor Roth" by having existing money in a traditional IRA, ANYONE can contribute to a Roth, as long as they have earned income.  (basically existing pre-tax IRA money blocks using post-tax IRA money for a conversion, since it forces you to pay taxes, proportionally on some of the pre-tax money)

Order of operations that I use:

(1) 401k up to any match, since your match is part of your salary that you're leaving on the table otherwise

(2) Roth IRA to the max

(3) finish maxing out the 401k

(4) then get into taxable investing space

I think we're pretty much on the same page. I max out my traditional IRA on the first of the year since I know I will also max my 401k. I then do a backdoor conversion and move the money into my Roth IRA.

It's debatable whether it's better for me go with traditional or Roth savings, but I still haven't decided when I'm going to retire so my future tax bracket is up in the air.

10 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

I think we're pretty much on the same page. I max out my traditional IRA on the first of the year since I know I will also max my 401k. I then do a backdoor conversion and move the money into my Roth IRA.

It's debatable whether it's better for me go with traditional or Roth savings, but I still haven't decided when I'm going to retire so my future tax bracket is up in the air.

If you have access to a 401k at work, for the IRA it is ALWAYS better to go with Roth IRA, since you don't get any further deductibility advantage from traditional IRAs (your deduction is excluded by having access to a 401k at work) and "deferred" taxes in an IRA are inferior to taxable capital gains and dividends, other than the paperwork.

It sounds like you're doing a backdoor conversion for that, anyway -- in which case, your tax bracket is probably high enough that the traditional 401k at work is likely "better" for tax planning purposes especially if you're in a higher tax state on top of your federal bracket.

My personal stance is for "tax diversification", where I'm going to TRY and pay less than my current top tax rate, at some point in the future, when I either gradually convert my 401k to the Roth IRA space, or otherwise eventually take distributions as income.

Long term goal, though, is to make sure I don't leave ANY "traditional" 401k/IRA money for heirs, since it is the absolute WORST asset you can inherit now that "stretch IRAs" are gone.  (i.e. almost everything else you inherit gets a stepped-up basis and is tax free up to the estate tax exclusion EXCEPT FOR traditional IRA/401k money that still needs taxes paid on it what whatever the heirs top tax bracket is!)

Edited by arch_8ngel

If you have access to a 401k at work, for the IRA it is ALWAYS better to go with Roth IRA, since you don't get any further deductibility advantage from traditional IRAs (your deduction is excluded by having access to a 401k at work) and "deferred" taxes in an IRA are inferior to taxable capital gains and dividends, other than the paperwork.

It sounds like you're doing a backdoor conversion for that, anyway -- in which case, your tax bracket is probably high enough that the traditional 401k at work is likely "better" for tax planning purposes especially if you're in a higher tax state on top of your federal bracket.

My personal stance is for "tax diversification", where I'm going to TRY and pay less than my current top tax rate, at some point in the future, when I either gradually convert my 401k to the Roth IRA space, or otherwise eventually take distributions as income.

Long term goal, though, is to make sure I don't leave ANY "traditional" 401k/IRA money for heirs, since it is the absolute WORST asset you can inherit now that "stretch IRAs" are gone.  (i.e. almost everything else you inherit gets a stepped-up basis and is tax free up to the estate tax exclusion EXCEPT FOR traditional IRA/401k money that still needs taxes paid on it what whatever the heirs top tax bracket is!)

So the abridged tldr version is to cash out my 401k and go "all in" on dogecoin? Or maybe take out a second mortgage? 😎

• Haha 2