IGNORED

Stock Analysis and Trades Thread

Daniel_Doyce

Anyone been following Rite Aid? They have been storming back with their direction change to streamlining themselves as a traditional and natural medicine hybrid and steadily doing away with groceries, etc. I feel like they are trying to position themselves as a national weed/cbd outlet for when it eventually becomes legal nationwide. I'm considering starting a position in the next couple days with their recent slide from $30.

I'm also thinking about starting a position in Wish. It's the cheapest way to get knock off chinese goods right now. I know my wife is a huge fan of them.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

My funds cleared and I now have $250 in WealthSimple Trade. I'm planning to exclusively buy into Canadian stocks to avoid currency exchange fees.

I'll have to find some Canadian companies I like and show my support.

I couldn't stand the Wealthsimple interface on their app and the website is complete junk. I also didn't like the fact that there is no way to delete your account - only close it which was still a hassle. That should honestly be illegal in my opinion. They'll have my bank account info forever now. Hope they never get hacked 😕

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

I couldn't stand the Wealthsimple interface on their app and the website is complete junk. I also didn't like the fact that there is no way to delete your account - only close it which was still a hassle. That should honestly be illegal in my opinion. They'll have my bank account info forever now. Hope they never get hacked 😕

I've enjoyed the normal WS app fine enough, though admittedly that is very set it and forget it. I've not delved deeply enough into the new Trade app yet to have formed an opinion.

All my money is in WealthSimple, so they basically are my bank.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I've enjoyed the normal WS app fine enough, though admittedly that is very set it and forget it. I've not delved deeply enough into the new Trade app yet to have formed an opinion.

All my money is in WealthSimple, so they basically are my bank.

Admittedly I am new to all of this too although I've had a few long term investment with RBC direct investing. I just found the trading portion of the WS app to be a mess. That coupled with not being able to wipe my account completely when I was unsatisfied with the app was icing on the cake. Not a huge deal, but still frustrating to deal with. Even when I finally got in contact with them and they closed out my account they said that the info stays on file for 4 or 5 years.

Honestly, this is the major deterrent for me with getting into day trading or short term investments. All these interfaces seem to have one issue or another. Even with RBC it can be pretty glitchy, not show recent transactions (they just magically show up once complete), and significant time for orders to be processed. It's also been down a number of times meaning you have zero access to your money. Makes me want to just forget about it and keep my money in a long term investment which is more or less what I am doing right now.

That shit that happened with RH and other interfaces restricting trading and selling people's stock on their behalf is just insane. Really shows you how bent the rules are for the ultra-rich.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Admittedly I am new to all of this too although I've had a few long term investment with RBC direct investing. I just found the trading portion of the WS app to be a mess. That coupled with not being able to wipe my account completely when I was unsatisfied with the app was icing on the cake. Not a huge deal, but still frustrating to deal with. Even when I finally got in contact with them and they closed out my account they said that the info stays on file for 4 or 5 years.

Honestly, this is the major deterrent for me with getting into day trading or short term investments. All these interfaces seem to have one issue or another. Even with RBC it can be pretty glitchy, not show recent transactions (they just magically show up once complete), and significant time for orders to be processed. It's also been down a number of times meaning you have zero access to your money. Makes me want to just forget about it and keep my money in a long term investment which is more or less what I am doing right now.

That shit that happened with RH and other interfaces restricting trading and selling people's stock on their behalf is just insane. Really shows you how bent the rules are for the ultra-rich.

On the other hand, it's probably good that they keep the info available for 5 years - isn't that roughly the time within which the government can audit you? If you have/had money in, say, a TFSA or RRSP with them, that info MAY be required by you within the next 5 years. I'm sure there's some liability/requirement reason for them doing that.

I do hope that the RH thing opens peoples' eyes a bit at LEAST with that specific app, and people move off of it. That whole thing was ridiculous.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

On the other hand, it's probably good that they keep the info available for 5 years - isn't that roughly the time within which the government can audit you? If you have/had money in, say, a TFSA or RRSP with them, that info MAY be required by you within the next 5 years. I'm sure there's some liability/requirement reason for them doing that.

I do hope that the RH thing opens peoples' eyes a bit at LEAST with that specific app, and people move off of it. That whole thing was ridiculous.

Yes, that is the exact reason they told me... I think it's the law for them to do that but I invested zero money with zero transactions and I believe that should be eligible to have your account deleted. You have to link your account on sign-up so there is no real way to 'test' the app until that info is put in there and then you're stuck with this info on file (which was all in the fine print I read). Anyway, not really a huge deal - I just wasn't impressed with the whole experience.

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Andy_Bogomil said:

Yes, that is the exact reason they told me... I think it's the law for them to do that but I invested zero money with zero transactions and I believe that should be eligible to have your account deleted. You have to link your account on sign-up so there is no real way to 'test' the app until that info is put in there and then you're stuck with this info on file (which was all in the fine print I read). Anyway, not really a huge deal - I just wasn't impressed with the whole experience.

Yeah they'd do well to have like a demo or something, if one doesn't exist.

So Lkncy declared CH15 bankruptcy, they are already delisted, and the company says not to panic it is just to get u.s. to accept the restructuring deal they set in the Caymans. Long story short, i have no idea if company is being honest, or bankruptcy specifics, but there will be a buying opportunity if true because of.panic selling.

Edited by Californication

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

My funds cleared and I now have $250 in WealthSimple Trade. I'm planning to exclusively buy into Canadian stocks to avoid currency exchange fees.

I'll have to find some Canadian companies I like and show my support.

I don't know anything about Canadian stocks, but surely there has to be some marijuana stocks in the mix?  I just played ACB on the $10-$14 run and exited as I'm scared of them going into earnings, but I think the marijuana sector has a lot of room to run. Surely it will be legal here in the next 10 years at worst if not sooner, possibly even next 4 years with a Democratic president.  All of those stocks already experienced their crazy speculative boom years back, have since bottomed out, and are now starting to trickle up a bit too.  Could be an easy set it and forget it type thing for you.

Otherwise, with only $250, just throw it in a blended mutual fund and let it track the market.

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, jonebone said:

I don't know anything about Canadian stocks, but surely there has to be some marijuana stocks in the mix?  I just played ACB on the $10-$14 run and exited as I'm scared of them going into earnings, but I think the marijuana sector has a lot of room to run. Surely it will be legal here in the next 10 years at worst if not sooner, possibly even next 4 years with a Democratic president.  All of those stocks already experienced their crazy speculative boom years back, have since bottomed out, and are now starting to trickle up a bit too.  Could be an easy set it and forget it type thing for you.

Otherwise, with only $250, just throw it in a blended mutual fund and let it track the market.

Honestly the $250 is like my minigame here. I already have set it and forget it in my normal WS account, so I put $250 into Trade so I can like... buy specific stocks and test my "skills" as it were. No harm in losing that amount, and I should be able to generally see if I can make it bigger.

On 2/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, Kguillemette said:

Anyone been following Rite Aid? They have been storming back with their direction change to streamlining themselves as a traditional and natural medicine hybrid and steadily doing away with groceries, etc. I feel like they are trying to position themselves as a national weed/cbd outlet for when it eventually becomes legal nationwide. I'm considering starting a position in the next couple days with their recent slide from $30.

I'm also thinking about starting a position in Wish. It's the cheapest way to get knock off chinese goods right now. I know my wife is a huge fan of them.

I haven't been watching them. I was looking at eHealth though. They've got a big upside according to analysts. I really need to put some money in soon though because it's been sitting in my bank account doing nothing for too long.

3 hours ago, jonebone said:

I need to do some more reading on the subject (in terms of which small players now could benefit later) -- but I have a hard time believing that the legal weed market in the USA doesn't get promptly dominated by the big tobacco companies pivoting.

So Altria or Philip Morris may end up being the better long play for any of that.

Edited by arch_8ngel

On 2/3/2021 at 8:49 PM, Kguillemette said:

And actually kudos for this recommendation.  Need to do more research but this is exactly the type of stock I love to grab.  The "big name" companies that are beaten up and selling at steep discounts to prior highs.  I grabbed some Mattel (MAT) and Jakks Pacific (JAKK) last year that have doubled and Rite Aid fits my pattern.  I'll look into them more for sure.

5 minutes ago, jonebone said:

And actually kudos for this recommendation.  Need to do more research but this is exactly the type of stock I love to grab.  The "big name" companies that are beaten up and selling at steep discounts to prior highs.  I grabbed some Mattel (MAT) and Jakks Pacific (JAKK) last year that have doubled and Rite Aid fits my pattern.  I'll look into them more for sure.

The biggest issue I see is that they've already run up 150% since October. Next earnings report isn't until April.

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

Thanks! I am curious what you do. I love a redemption story, and nothing sparks a comeback like a concept change. Their recent run up from 10 has me wondering if there won't be a better entry point in the near future, but I'll be keeping a close eye on them in the meantime

I put a $2 order for 50 shares into AMC.  I don't know if will get that low any time soon, but if it does within the next weeks, I'll catch it. 

I agree with everyone that AMC is not doing well.  That said, I really, really don't see movie theaters going anywhere.  Life will be different when everything opens back up, but I think to many people miss the experience of "normal life" and to me, the one thing that's held on as "normal life" outside the home is seeing a movie.  Amazon is killing retail, although not fully. Regardless, even if a "new generation" likes staring at their phones all day, there are still a ton of people that just want to do something out of the house.  Seeing a film, even if all of the trappings are expensive, is an experience and it's just nice to do it somewhere outside your home.

I might be wrong, but I think AMC will have nice in the long term.  I think they will restructure their business model to fit the new-normal of life and I don't see them closing down for good.  If they do, I'll be utterly shocked.  It would be the practical death knell of cinema theaters.