Ausden

On 10/23/2019 at 8:54 PM, the tall guy said:

I've got two games, and I could pretty much flip a coin to say which would be my favorite RPG.  It's either Suikoden II or Shining Force III.  Both are tremendously fun (definitely get the patches and play all three scenarios for Shining Force, two and three are excellent and finish out the story).  One of the things they have in common are replay value, at least to me.  You get 108 characters in Suikoden II, definitely have lots of opportunities to employ different ones through different sections of the game.  

I am with you my favorite game is Shining Force III on the Saturn.  I played the Japanese scenario 2 and 3 before the patches were made.  I need to go back and experience them in English.  Other than Shining Force III my favorite series is Dragon Quest.  I am currently playing VII on the 3ds and XI on the switch.

It's not a popular choice among series fans but I love Dragon Quest VII the best.  I put 103 hours into the PS1 game and have been really enjoying the 3ds remake.

On 10/29/2019 at 10:53 AM, MrMark0673 said:

Haha!  I only play once my wife and daughter are in bed, but when my life settles down I can usually squeeze in like an hour a night.

I have a TON of stuff on my plate that will be over soon and then I plan to binge it hard.

I'm in the same boat, I have been plugging away at DQ11 after the kids go to bed for like an hour a night.  It's fun though! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ginoscope said:

I am with you my favorite game is Shining Force III on the Saturn.  I played the Japanese scenario 2 and 3 before the patches were made.  I need to go back and experience them in English.  Other than Shining Force III my favorite series is Dragon Quest.  I am currently playing VII on the 3ds and XI on the switch.

Me too!  My first time playing scenarios 2 and 3 were in Japanese using a walkthrough I printed off the internet.  Crazy to think about it now.

1. Dragon Warrior 4 (NES/DS)

2. Final Fantasy 3 (SNES/GBA)

3. Baldurs Gate (PC/Switch)

4. Baldurs Gate 2 Dark Alliance (Gamecube)

5. Dragon Quest 8 (PS2)

Some honorable mentions Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Lufia 1 and 2, Super Mario RPG, Neverwinter Nights, Earthbound, Nier Automata, Final Fantasy 2, Terrinegma and Illusion of Gaia ( kind of hybrid action RPGs), Star Ocean, swords and runes.

Those are just from the games I've played but I've heard great things about alot of other RPGs like the Ys series, breath of fire, paladins quest, phantasy star series. 

• Like 1

Never been heavy into the RPGs, I dunno, short attention span or most weren't interesting enough to keep me with them. But did enjoy a good bunch of them. Not listing top down action-adventure games with RPG elements because those a are whole different animal, so more RPG, less action. So typical JRPG or Strategy RPG.

Dragon Warrior (NES) - A favorite because of the simplicity, one on one combat, a lone hero, that's me

Dragon Warrior IV (NES/DS - both versions) - I liked the characters and story, better than the previous two in the series

Final Fantasy VI (SNES) - Such a intricate story, with a combination of magic and machinery, and all of the characters were a delight, and the game was exciting as well as emotionally gripping

Mystic Quest (SNES) - The basics all done right, small likable cast of characters, easy to pick up and play, has some small bits of puzzle interactivity with environments

Final Fantasy IV (PS1 - played and beat on the PS1, Final Fantasy Chronicles collection) - This one didn't pull me in the first time I tried playing it, but it grew on me

Suikoden (PS1) -  Who would think that there could be so many likable characters in one game!

Gensou Suikoden II (PS1 - I had the Japanese version long ago) - Enjoyed the first game so couldn't wait for this to come out, got it the moment I saw that Starland had it in stock, even better than the first

WildArms (PS1) - Felt similar to Mystic Quest, very basic but also with those same interactive simple puzzles that Mystic Quest has, and like that game only a few very endearing characters needed

Legend of Legaia (PS1) - An RPG with fighting moves, very different and it actually worked

Saiyuki : The Journey West (PS1) - Didn't think I'd like the Strategy RPG thing, but glad I got this one then

Chrono Trigger (DS) - Never really played this one even though had it with the Final Fantasy Chronicles collection, I didn't give it much of a chance then, until I decided to get it for the DS, found I was missing out on a treasure all those years, a masterpiece

Honorable mention :

Final Fantasy VIII (PS1) - A bit more complicated than I would prefer, so I didn't think I would like it but enjoyed it more than FFVII which I never could really get into, but never did finish it, too distracted by other stuff

Been playing Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition on the Switch.

Yeah, it shows some age, but I forgot how amazing are the characters and story... well, truth be told you have to play through the entire saga (BG II and Throne) to get the full epic story, and it really is epic. 

• Like 1

Top 5 RPGs:

Chrono Trigger 

Final Fantasy IV

Illusion of Gaia

Secret of Mana

Dragon Warrior IV

So many more that I enjoy such as Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, various Final Fantasy games, various Dragon Warrior/Quest games, Soul Blazer, Breath of Fire series, and the list goes on and on.

4 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

You heard great things about Paladin's Quest too?

15725527857843784926165274284696.jpg

Yes sir!!

27 minutes ago, ScaryD said:

Top 5 RPGs:

Chrono Trigger 

Final Fantasy IV

Illusion of Gaia

Secret of Mana

Dragon Warrior IV

So many more that I enjoy such as Earthbound, Super Mario RPG, various Final Fantasy games, various Dragon Warrior/Quest games, Soul Blazer, Breath of Fire series, and the list goes on and on.

How is soul blazer? I need to watch a youtube video of that one, isn't somehow related to actraiser?

Edited by Dragonwarrior83

Off the top of my head, my top 10 are:
1. EarthBound (SNES)
2. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars (SNES)
3. Final Fantasy IX (PS1)
4. Final Fantasy XII (PS2)
5. Final Fantasy X (PS2)
6. Paper Mario (N64)
7. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
8. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
9. Legend of Mana (PS1)
10. Mother 3 (GBA)

Honorable mentions:
Pokemon Emerald (DS)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Pokemon White 2 (DS)
FInal Fantasy IV (SNES)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GCN)
Breath of Fire III (PS1)
Lufia II: Rise of the Sinistrals (SNES)

I love RPGs, I don't have as much time for them these days which sucks because I want to replay so many of my favorites, or play some new ones. But they just consume so much time. I left out modern action RPGs since they feel significantly different than traditional JRPGs. Otherwise I'd include stuff like Dark Souls and Skyrim.

Best console for RPGs? My personal favorite is clearly SNES. But PS1 and PS2 are also top-tier RPG consoles. DS and GBA are also pretty good. I can't say I feel the same about any other console though Switch is certainly gaining ground in this department.

Favorite RPG series? Well I'd say Final Fantasy overall but the Mother series, as small as it is, are some of my favorite games of all time. 

On 10/31/2019 at 9:46 PM, Dragonwarrior83 said:

Yes sir!!

How is soul blazer? I need to watch a youtube video of that one, isn't somehow related to actraiser?

Soul blazer is a good action rpg with some puzzle solving elements. I agree with xcing1030 that it has an Actraiser vibe crossed with a Zelda flavor.

• 1 month later...

Finished up Cat Quest recently and found it to be a really laid back and enjoyable action rpg. If you enjoyed Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, definitely grab this one.  And if you have kids like me and want to complete an RPG but also want to be able to pick up and put down and not be overwhelmed with where you left off, this is the game for you.

@Gloves any chance we can sticky this thread?

Edited by Ausden

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Ausden said:

Finished up Cat Quest recently and found it to be a really laid back and enjoyable action rpg. If you enjoyed Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, definitely grab this one.  And if you have kids like me and want to complete an RPG but also want to be able to pick up and put down and not be overwhelmed with where you left off, this is the game for you.

@Gloves any chance we can sticky this thread?

Sorry, stickies are more for content that doesn't get much posts, but is important that everyone be able to find it. For a thread like this I'd suggest following the thread so you can find it more easily in future if it's not particularly active.

• 2 weeks later...

I favor SRPG (or just plain strategy games) a bit more than regular RPGs - mostly because they are more interesing for replays because you can try different things.

My top 5 strategy games.

Dark Wizard (Sega CD)

Nectaris (PS1)

Brigandine (PS1)

Shining Force II (Genesis)

Master of Monsters (Genesis)

RPGS

Final Fantasy II (SNES)

Landstalker (Genesis)

Lunar the Silver Star (Sega CD)

Golden Axe Warrior (SMS)

Equinox (SNES)

For what it is worth I liked 7th Saga and to a lesser degree Paladin's Quest.

Zill O'll (ps1)

Parasite Eve (ps1)

a bit different than the usual lists you see around here heh. I do love me the classics such as chrono trigger, the SNES Final fantasies etc, but Parasite Eve is by far my absolute favourite game ever. There's just that something on it.

Zill O'll is a japan-only RPG Im so obsessed with that I've been scheming on translating it to english for 20 years now.... (halfway done!) Says something about how high I rank it in my list of games, heh.

On 10/31/2019 at 5:08 PM, TheBiRD said:

Vintage Snes all the way!

1) Final Fantasy 3

2) Chrono Trigger

3) Secret of Mana

4) Earthbound

5) Final Fantasy 2

6) Lufia 2

7) Super Mario RPG

8)Breath of Fire 2

9) Breath of Fire

10) EVO Search for Eden

SNES RPGs for the win!

3 hours ago, Mugi said:

Zill O'll (ps1)

Parasite Eve (ps1)

a bit different than the usual lists you see around here heh. I do love me the classics such as chrono trigger, the SNES Final fantasies etc, but Parasite Eve is by far my absolute favourite game ever. There's just that something on it.

Zill O'll is a japan-only RPG Im so obsessed with that I've been scheming on translating it to english for 20 years now.... (halfway done!) Says something about how high I rank it in my list of games, heh.

I really liked the pseudo-science mitochondrial stuff and weird battle system of Parasite Eve. Unfortunately, I only ever rented it when I actually played PS1, so I only got a few hours in. I think I have it in a box somewhere, so hopefully I'll actually play it before I die. 😭