Ausden

The Dragon Quest VIII remake on the 3DS is easily the best JRPG I've ever played.  I enjoyed Dragon Quest IX a ton as well, but I think people were more mixed on that than some others in the series.

I bought  a Switch like 2 years ago now hoping that they would port DQXI over.  It was my first pre-order game ever, but unfortunately I haven't had time to try it out yet.  New curriculum at school and family have taken up a ton of my time.  Hoping to really dig into it around the new year.

I've got two games, and I could pretty much flip a coin to say which would be my favorite RPG.  It's either Suikoden II or Shining Force III.  Both are tremendously fun (definitely get the patches and play all three scenarios for Shining Force, two and three are excellent and finish out the story).  One of the things they have in common are replay value, at least to me.  You get 108 characters in Suikoden II, definitely have lots of opportunities to employ different ones through different sections of the game.  

Others I really enjoy that would make my top 10 (in no particular order).

Shining Force

Shining Force CD

Suikoden

Suikoden V

Final Fantasy Tactics

Phantasy Star IV

Valkyrie Profile

Shining Force II

• Like 2

On 10/23/2019 at 12:56 PM, Wasbi said:

I recently bought myself an EB cart on NA and I instantly got hooked too. It's such a fun game, the levelling curve is super good and the story is cute and creepy. I suggest playing Mother 3 if you like EB snes a lot. The OSTs for both of those titles are amazing

How far have you played through Earthbound? Even as a kid I have only ever gotten to the blues brothers city level and lost interest. I have tried to play multiple times and always drop off at the same point. 

11 minutes ago, Nightowljrm said:

I started up Ys VIII again last night. I was only five or six hours in, so I started fresh with a new save. I'm gonna get through it this time! The action combat is a lot of fun and I dig the music quite a bit. 

I loved this game.  I would really like to go back and play some others if I can ever find the time

Everyone has their opinion, and mine is Western RPGs > JRPGs  -in general. 

Dragon Quest XI is a very fun game! Definitely get the Switch version, it's far better than any other version.

However, if you really want a deep, and arguably challenging RPG, then pick up the newly released Baldur's Gate series of RPGs. Back to DQXI, it really is fun, although way easier than earlier installments such as DQVII. It's even easier than DQVIII, although the latter half of DQVIII is arguably a breeze. Anyway, Baldur's Gate - NOT easy! Permanent death for your characters (although you just load a saved game, unless you're doing a no-load run of course), and sometimes it's a bit unfair to be honest. Even with all its flaws, Baldur's Gate in my mind is still the epitome of the great RPG. The story is just fabulous. The enhanced editions are great, but keep in mind you're still basically playing a game from 1998! Totally worth it!

dndpacks.jpg

On 10/25/2019 at 8:34 AM, themisfit138 said:

How far have you played through Earthbound? Even as a kid I have only ever gotten to the blues brothers city level and lost interest. I have tried to play multiple times and always drop off at the same point. 

Completed it within a couple of days.

Keep pressing along, that part is still really early on, the game gets better imo after threed (the zombie town)

On 10/23/2019 at 6:44 PM, MrMark0673 said:

The Dragon Quest VIII remake on the 3DS is easily the best JRPG I've ever played.  I enjoyed Dragon Quest IX a ton as well, but I think people were more mixed on that than some others in the series.

I bought  a Switch like 2 years ago now hoping that they would port DQXI over.  It was my first pre-order game ever, but unfortunately I haven't had time to try it out yet.  New curriculum at school and family have taken up a ton of my time.  Hoping to really dig into it around the new year.

DQ 11 is amazing, make sure you have the time to play it, or it will just take your time 😊

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, empire said:

What didn't you like? I thought 9 had a good story, 1 was a bit more "figure it out yourself". 11 has a cool story and some awesome characters.

It didn't seem like IX had much of a story, and when it did there was so much time between events that nothing really held it together. What was there was nothing new, and as a whole the game felt like an excuse to have a bunch of side quests. I put close to forty hours into it earlier this year and eventually just put it down out of boredom.

40 minutes ago, empire said:

DQ 11 is amazing, make sure you have the time to play it, or it will just take your time 😊

Haha!  I only play once my wife and daughter are in bed, but when my life settles down I can usually squeeze in like an hour a night.

I have a TON of stuff on my plate that will be over soon and then I plan to binge it hard.

I've yet to sink my teeth into tales of vesperia definitive edition. I've never played a dragon quest but I've heard only good things about 8. If I ever get my ps2 hooked up again, I'll have to give it a spin. 11 is amazing I hear?

Im not waiting for the remake, I just went ahead and fired up Final Fantasy 7 on the psp.

Suikoden II is easily my favorite RPG.  I actually love the whole series.  IV fell pretty flat and the tactics title was kind of weird but other than that.  Also I firmly believe that Suikoden III is completely underrated.  Whatever it’s flaws, I think that it is just absolutely an enjoyable experience to play through every time.

I think that Final Fantasy VII is the best numbered Final Fantasy period.  Suck it VI.   VII doesn’t get the love it deserves and IX gets too much.  Also Final Fantasy XV was absolute ass in hell.  

The original Dragon Quest is my favorite but that’s probably nostalgia talking.  VIII is probably the best iteration I’ve played.  I enjoyed XI pretty thoroughly as well.  It was everything I hoped it would be.  

Edited by Hammerfestus

Editorials Team · Posted
On 10/23/2019 at 7:44 PM, MrMark0673 said:

I love DQ8 so much.  Haven't done the 3DS version, which I hear has changed voice actor(s), but it's on my replay list.

11 hours ago, doner24 said:

My favorite JRPG’s in order:

Lufia 2

Chrono Trigger

Lunar Silver Star Story

Breath of Fire 2

Earthbound

Dragon Warrior 3

Dragon Warrior 4

Phantasy Star 4

Lunar Eternal Blue 

Secret of Evermore

I just cannot seem to get into Lunar: Eternal Blue. Everyone commenting about how good it is makes me want to keep at it though.

On 10/23/2019 at 12:10 PM, WhyNotZoidberg said:

NEW SUB TOPIC:

What's your favorite 8bit RPG?

Mine would be Phantasy Star hands down. Always loved the sci-fi elements.

Favorites of all time would be:

Chrono Trigger

FF VI

Suikoden II

... and if we're counting Strategy RPGs then I loved Front Mission 3, FF Tactics and the whole Shining Force series.

• Like 1

I'm currently re-playing a lot of old RPGs as well as new ones and have a rating list going on. It's ongoing but the top 5 so far are:

• Dragon Quest XI
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall - DC (do not sleep on this game, it's incredible!)
  • Baldur's Gate 2
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy Tactics

I'm playing through The Outer Worlds at the minute and loving every minute of it. It might well be my game of the year. Then it's onto Disco Elysium; the buzz that game is getting is insane.

Edited by Cepp