Ausden

Let’s discuss all things RPGs and Strategy games. Who loves them? Which system had the best ones? Favorite series? Top 10 all time? Which ones do you love/hate?

SNES in my opinion has the best selection and the titles still hold up today. 

Favorite series is Dragon Quest/Warrior followed by Final Fantasy.

Top 10:

Dragon Quest XI

Dragon Warrior IV

Secret of Mana

Secret of Evermore

Paladins Quest 

Robotrek

Final Fantasy (nes)

Final Fantasy III (snes)

Radiant Historia

Chrono Trigger

I could keep going, but the list is too long. 

Glad to see Robotrek in your list, @Ausden! Awesome game that doesn't get enough love. I also think Paladin's Quest was pretty good, even if the artwork can be off-putting in the beginning.

I'll just stick to my Top 5. There are too many I love.

Final Fantasy IV

Suikoden II

Phantasy Star II

Final Fantasy VI

Dragon Warrior IV

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Paladins Quest?... You guys are nuts!   😛

Too many to name really

Shin Megamis

Xenosagas

Front Missions

Tactics Ogres

Ogre Battles

Disgaeas

Devil Survivors

Vagrant Story

Radiant Historia

Etrian Odysseys

Dragon Quest VIII

Final Fantasys

A ton of Western stuff

Nothing on SNES coming to mind though... 😉

7 minutes ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

Why have I not heard of Robotrek? Must find game...

Some of my favorites:

Chrono Trigger

Final Fantasy IV

Final Fantasy VI

Xenogears

Dragon Warrior IV

Secret of Mana

SW: KotOR

SW: KOTOR is a fantastic game! Loved that you could build a lightsaber

I guess this might be a good time to confess I still haven't played the western FFII or FFIII. In fact, the only Final Fantasy games I've played are the original, FFVII, and FFXV. FFXV, I barely even played too. I need to go back play again, 'cause what little I did play, I enjoyed enough. 

I've always liked RPGs though. I started with Pokémon Red, but I'd say my first real RPG was The Legend of Dragoon - incredible game that I wish got a sequel. Over recent years; however, they've started growing on me more. I've been seeking out niche PS4 RPGs just for something different, everyone knows about the popular ones. The last one I played was Crystar and I loved it despite its faults. It's repetitive, the level design is fairly flat and bland (like a lot of niche JRPGs), but the atmosphere and story were great. I really loved the plot and it's hard for me to care too much about the story. 

I have been telling myself I need to go back and start Ys VIII again. And the Secret of Mana remake, now that it's not so prone to crashing, apparently. It was abysmal at launch, as @ookii_risu mentioned in another thread. Ys IX looks great, but no word on a western release yet. I'm sure it'll happen in a year or so. In general, I need to play more Ys games. I love the original on the SMS and I've beaten it and Ys III on the SNES, but that's it. I have a handful of other Ys games, I just haven't gotten through them. 

RPGs are easily my favorite genre of games. I mostly prefer Japanese-style turn-based RPGs, but I also dig strategy RPGs or Action RPGs every now and then. WRPGs are good too, but I rarely fall in love with them. This is partially due to most of them nowadays being Open World RPGs, which I don't like that much. Once every few years I play the heck out of one of these, but then I get fed up with them for the next few years, e.g. Morrowind, Fallout 3/NV.

My favorite system is also the SNES, which I consider to be part of the Golden Age of the JRPGs. The PS1 was to some extent part of that as well, but extensive loading times and an overabundance of side content, like mini games, usually keep me from revisiting those games. My top 10 would probably look something like this:

1. Lufia 2
  2. Terranigma
  3. Secret of Mana
  4. Final Fantasy X
  5. Shin Megami Tensei III
  6. Tales of the Abyss
  7. Star Ocean 2
  8. Breath of Fire II
  9. Grandia
  10. Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade

There are of course many, many more great games, both new and old. But the more games I play, the less of an impression they leave. Or sometimes I may really like a game while playing, but somehow can't see myself going back to it in the future.

As for games that I hate, and this is probably going to get me some flag, but I hate Phantasy Star II with a burning passion. It's not even that this game is an atrocious mess. No, if it were just bad I would probably laugh it off and put it away forever. This game actually gets some of the basics right: decent turn-based combat with a varied party, pretty good music (if only short, i.e. very few tracks. Compare that to an FF game) and an intriguing plot in a sci-fi setting, that wasn't seen too often in RPGs at that time.

BUT my initial good impression was soured quickly once I realized

a) how grindy this game is. It has one of, if not THE worst grind in any retro console RPG I have played so far. Leveling takes forever and every new character starts out with level 1! Also, farming money takes forever as well. Alternatively you can swap items around whenever you mix up your group. But with the cumbersome menu system this takes forever. So pick your poison!

b) that the game may be huge, but even one or two hours in you're already bombarded with color-swapped enemies. Rarely have I seen a game with this many color swaps. And not just the enemies, but the dungeons, too. It also doesn't help that they seemingly tried to pad out the game by having you go through countless pointless dungeons that all look and play the same. Sometimes less is more.

c) how unforgivingly difficult and brutal this game is. Of course the enemies are tough, but on top of that they sometimes have random difficulty spikes even within a specific dungeon. I hope you enjoy losing 30 minutes or more of your progress, just because extremely difficult enemies start appearing out of nowhere. The dungeons can also get very long with confusing and awful mazes. Games like FF reward you for exploring by at least giving you some treasure, but Phantasy Star II is full of dead ends. Ikuto tops all of this with its countless holes, pointless dead ends and endless backtracking. This dungeon was designed to grind away your sanity and to punish everyone who doesn't use a guide.

I could go on about the flat and empty shells of characters, the egregious cliffhanger at the end, the non-descriptive spell names as well as the cumbersome menus and party management etc. Maybe I am a bit overly critical of this game, but after sooo many people had touted this game as such a classic masterpiece even rivaling the best of best on the SNES, my expectations may have been skewed.

Chrono Trigger. Always.

But yeah recently I discovered From The Abyss on DS and I'm grinding through that. It's an instance-based dungeon action RPG where you basically navigate through the town's menus just to gear up and then hit the next dungeon. Nice 2D graphics, decent enough music in most areas.

So it's like Recettear, Chocobo Dungeon and other such games, but it might be more streamlined. You really just need to get your items and save in town and then back to killing monsters!

17 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've tried to beat Phantasy Star II on at least four occasions.  The 7th Saga has less grind than that game.

Oof. 7th Saga. Why did you have to remind us? Lol. I'm the kinda guy that doesn't mind a bit of a grind, but that game is rough. I don't remember Phantasy Star II being so bad, but it's been a while since I've played it, probably upwards of a decade. I did replay the original earlier this year and it's still a joy to play through. 

• Like 1

NEW SUB TOPIC:

What's your favorite 8bit RPG?

Mine is Destiny of an Emperor. I'm a big fan of the early ROTK titles and it was nice to see all my favorite generals go on a scripted adventure in proper JRPG form. And the menu system is quite functional for a game with so much party management and limited controller buttons to work with. Swapping generals, items and equipment never feels like the huge messy chore it could easily have been.

Try it out if you have it on the shelf and never played it.

I love RPGs/Strategy Games.  I'm a big SNES fan, but I have enjoyed several over the years on multiple platforms.  I could give you a top 10 list, but I wouldn't know how to rank them.  But, they would include:

Lufia II

Shadow Hearts Covenant

Suikoden II

Chrono Trigger

Actraiser

Crusader of Centy

Ogre Battle

Terranigma

Final Fantasy X

Final Fantasy VIII

14 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

KOTOR/Mass Effect/Dragon Age/Bioware is amazing. 

Just picked up the SNES classic so I am trying out Earthbound for the very first time. It was always that one SNES title that got away. It's already amazing and I am hooked!

I recently bought myself an EB cart on NA and I instantly got hooked too. It's such a fun game, the levelling curve is super good and the story is cute and creepy. I suggest playing Mother 3 if you like EB snes a lot. The OSTs for both of those titles are amazing

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Wasbi said:

I recently bought myself an EB cart on NA and I instantly got hooked too. It's such a fun game, the levelling curve is super good and the story is cute and creepy. I suggest playing Mother 3 if you like EB snes a lot. The OSTs for both of those titles are amazing

Thanks, I'll try it out! How amazing would it be if they localized Mother 3 and remastered all three games with Link's Awakening HD style graphics like they show in the strategy guide? They could bundle Origins/EB/M3 onto one cart on the Switch with the new graphics? I feel like it would sell incredibly well.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, RH said:

Games I enjoy but I've not seen-- Harvest Moon and Front Mission series.  Oh my, do I like Front Mission, but it can feel quite technical to some.

Nope, love the Front Missions.  Even the dumb action one that came out a few years ago was okay.

In fact, FM1 was the very first DS game I bought

I also imported Gun Hazard at one point, not realizing how text heavy it was

2 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Nope, love the Front Missions.  Even the dumb action one that came out a few years ago was okay.

In fact, FM1 was the very first DS game I bought

I also imported Gun Hazard at one point, not realizing how text heavy it was

My first Front Mission was the game on the PS2.  I then went and found the one for the PS1, and when I got a DS, I definitely got the one for it.  Man, just talking about it is making me want to move FM back to the top of my list.  I might hit that after Golf Story.

5 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I've tried to beat Phantasy Star II on at least four occasions.  The 7th Saga has less grind than that game.

5 hours ago, Nightowljrm said:

Oof. 7th Saga. Why did you have to remind us? Lol. I'm the kinda guy that doesn't mind a bit of a grind, but that game is rough. I don't remember Phantasy Star II being so bad, but it's been a while since I've played it, probably upwards of a decade. I did replay the original earlier this year and it's still a joy to play through. 

Hahaha, I loved 7th Saga. Of course, that was when I was young and didn't mind the grind. I beat it with the robot and the alien/demon thing. The worst thing I remember from that game is the enemies casting vacuum on you. Horrible.

Of course, Phantasy Star II is a grind fest. I played the PS2 remake a few years back and was getting sick of the high encounter rate.

Edited by ookii_risu